SASS Wire Forum

Anybody shooting full length shotgun?

Marshal Hangtree

18 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I know you can't use it for SASS, but out of curiosity, is the Marlin in good working order?  

I haven't fired it in five or six years, but yes, it always ran fine when I used it. Not all of the Marlin's were "widow makers" but I think SASS was right to ban them all from a sheer liability standpoint (and it's a dead horse I don't want to resurrect).

7 hours ago, Oddnews SASS# 24779 said:

I haven't fired it in five or six years, but yes, it always ran fine when I used it. Not all of the Marlin's were "widow makers" but I think SASS was right to ban them all from a sheer liability standpoint (and it's a dead horse I don't want to resurrect).

I will stipulate that there are some very real safety concerns with Marlin. 

That being said, I think it's a really nifty looking gun, and if, and only IF, I could find one in proper working condition, I would consider obtaining one someday.   In fact, I recently saw one at my local Cabelas for a very reasonable price.   I asked the people in the gun library if they would take off the trigger guard so I could perform the safety checks under their supervision, and they had to politely refuse, saying it was against corporate policy.   They knew WHY I wanted to do the checks, and were very sympathetic, but there was nothing they could do.  I even suggested that THEY perform the checks, but they said they can't even do that, even if they went out back away from the eyes of any customers.   Okay, fine, policy is policy.   But I left the gun there.  I had a hunch that it might be okay, but I wasn't gonna chance it.   Oh well.

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

That being said, I think it's a really nifty looking gun, and if, and only IF, I could find one in proper working condition, I would consider obtaining one someday.   In fact, I recently saw one at my local Cabelas for a very reasonable price.   I asked the people in the gun library if they would take off the trigger guard so I could perform the safety checks under their supervision, and they had to politely refuse, saying it was against corporate policy.   They knew WHY I wanted to do the checks, and were very sympathetic, but there was nothing they could do.  I even suggested that THEY perform the checks, but they said they can't even do that, even if they went out back away from the eyes of any customers.   Okay, fine, policy is policy.   But I left the gun there.  I had a hunch that it might be okay, but I wasn't gonna chance it.   Oh well.

What is their return policy?  Buy it on condition that it passes your inspection and test. 

I suspect many of the old Marlin pump shotguns were made in the black powder era and just won't stand up to smokeless loads.  Some of the later ones may.  But it's just too much to sort out.  As I understand it, Winchester even condemned the 87 and the 93 as unsafe. 

17 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

What is their return policy?  Buy it on condition that it passes your inspection and test. 

I suspect many of the old Marlin pump shotguns were made in the black powder era and just won't stand up to smokeless loads.  Some of the later ones may.  But it's just too much to sort out.  As I understand it, Winchester even condemned the 87 and the 93 as unsafe. 

I would assume no returns on guns.  That's pretty universal these days.

I have never heard that Winchester ever issued any kind of condemnation of the 87.   I seem to vaguely remember that when the 87 was approved for SASS, it was done for use in black powder categories only.  (Someone please confirm or deny...)  But when the reproduction 87's hit the market, being made for use with modern ammunition, there as no such restriction placed on them.

On the other hand, Winchester DID put a recall on the 93.   All you had to do was ship them the gun, and they would return to you a brand new 97.  The reasons for this were pretty simple.  The 93 was made in the day of 2-1/2" black powder shells.   The 97 was made for the then new 2-3/4" smokeless shells.  (Actually 2-5/8"  They apparently measured differently back then...)  Winchester was afraid that if someone were to put the new ammo in the older gun, it would blow it up.   That being said, I don't think there is any reason why a 93 can't be safely fired with black powder shells of the proper length.   That's why I have a 93.   Which by the way, are kind of rare.  When Winchester got one back on the recoil, they destroyed it!

Another "problem" with the 93 is that the flag that keeps the new live shell properly aligned as it is going into the chamber is not as tall as the 97.   Some feel that the back of the shell could fall out of the ejection port, and thus have the extractor hit the primer causing an out of battery discharge.   I am skeptical on this problem.   Working with snap caps, the only way I could cause it to happen was to tilt the gun at least 45 degrees to the right when working the action.   Not something I would do when shooting for real.

Anyway, that's all I can say about that.

On 12/13/2018 at 11:53 AM, evil dogooder said:

I've 2 97s that are still long barreled. A 32" and a 36" made in 1898. The 32 comes out from time to time but the 36 mostly stays home.  I rarely shoot a 97 but is fun at times

EDG, 36” should be perfect for WB if you can convince them to let you shoot WB Gunfighter.

13 hours ago, Tucker McNeely said:

EDG, 36” should be perfect for WB if you can convince them to let you shoot WB Gunfighter.

I love shooting 1911s gf.  Heck I love shooting any pistol gunfighter.  Yesterday I played with snub nosed 454s. Lots of fun! 

My primary shotgun for CAS is an SKB and even though it has been tuned for competition I could not bring myself to shorten the barrel. So it is still the original factory length. 

6AB1544B-7448-4CA5-88E2-22892B18FA90.jpeg

Aint not a thing wrong with coach guns. Ain't not a thing wrong with original long barrels on a shotgun neither. ;)

Shoot a long barreled shotgun, well just because its original. Shoot a short barreled shotgun and it might give you a little bit more speed or ease of mobility.

Both are satisfying in their own right. Both are more fun with black powder.:D

I have a hammered Crescent (marked Enders Royal Service) with 32” barrels. I’ll never cut it and I’ll never slick it up. It is what it is, a low-rent working-man’s scattergun. It’s been used hard and survived and because of that it oozes cool. Two cowboys are in line to buy it but it ain’t worth enough to trade it for money and I’ll never find another. I shoot it once or twice a year. What I lose on the clock I double in style points.

On 12/14/2018 at 6:31 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

When they were legal I thought about acquiring the nifty little Marlin pump rifle in 25-20 as a companion piece -- they'd have been neat together, but without being able to use the Marlin shotgun in competition I skipped it.

4 minutes ago, Oddnews SASS# 24779 said:

When they were legal I thought about acquiring the nifty little Marlin pump rifle in 25-20 as a companion piece -- they'd have been neat together, but without being able to use the Marlin shotgun in competition I skipped it.

I saw one of those rifles, in .32-20, not too long ago for a very good price.   I almost bought it, but then I found out that they only hold 7 rounds.   That made me decide against it.

12 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I saw one of those rifles, in .32-20, not too long ago for a very good price.   I almost bought it, but then I found out that they only hold 7 rounds.   That made me decide against it.

I might have gone for it in .32-20, just because I like to mess around with that caliber. The only ones I ever saw were 25-20 (Marlin Model 27? Something like that), and were slick, but it would have meant adding another caliber and I wasn't ready for that, and without it being a companion to the shotgun (there's a resemblence around the bolt/receiver area), there was no point.

3 hours ago, Oddnews SASS# 24779 said:

I might have gone for it in .32-20, just because I like to mess around with that caliber. The only ones I ever saw were 25-20 (Marlin Model 27? Something like that), and were slick, but it would have meant adding another caliber and I wasn't ready for that, and without it being a companion to the shotgun (there's a resemblence around the bolt/receiver area), there was no point.

That brings up another point.   Sorta...

Colt revolvers.   (Many to choose from)

Colt Lighting or Colt Burgess Rifle

Colt SxS Shotgun

Rogers and Spencer Revolver

Spencer Rifle

Spencer Shotgun.  (But you can use it.)

Burgess Rifle

Burgess Shotgun  (But you can't use it)

Did Burgess make and market any revolvers when he was on his own?

Winchester rifle  (Many to chose from)

Winchester 87 or 97 shotgun

Super rare, as in never put into production but I'd buy one of somebody made a replica, Winchester Revolvers.

Marlin rifle (many to choose from)

Marlin shotgun.  (Can't use it for legitimate safety concerns)

Did Marlin make any revolvers that would qualify as Main Match ones?

Remington Revolvers (A few to choose from)

Remington SxS Shotgun

Don't think they made any rifles that would be main match legal.  They did do a pump rifle that was chambered for things like .44-40, but it was hammerless and came out well after 1900.

See a pattern here?

What other companies made gun, probably all antiques my now, that you could field at least 2 types of the needed guns for our game with?

Looks like Colt is the only one that made all 3 that are also main match legal.

21 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

That brings up another point.   Sorta...

Colt revolvers.   (Many to choose from)

Colt Lighting or Colt Burgess Rifle

Colt SxS Shotgun

Rogers and Spencer Revolver

Spencer Rifle

Spencer Shotgun.  (But you can use it.)

Burgess Rifle

Burgess Shotgun  (But you can't use it)

Did Burgess make and market any revolvers when he was on his own?

Winchester rifle  (Many to chose from)

Winchester 87 or 97 shotgun

Super rare, as in never put into production but I'd buy one of somebody made a replica, Winchester Revolvers.

Marlin rifle (many to choose from)

Marlin shotgun.  (Can't use it for legitimate safety concerns)

Did Marlin make any revolvers that would qualify as Main Match ones?

Remington Revolvers (A few to choose from)

Remington SxS Shotgun

Don't think they made any rifles that would be main match legal.  They did do a pump rifle that was chambered for things like .44-40, but it was hammerless and came out well after 1900.

See a pattern here?

What other companies made gun, probably all antiques my now, that you could field at least 2 types of the needed guns for our game with?

Looks like Colt is the only one that made all 3 that are also main match legal.

I agree, only Colt. That's kind of a shame.

I have an old model 12 wih 28" modified. I was going to cut it down, but the more I shoot it the more I'm used to it. Probably just leave it alone.

On 12/13/2018 at 11:53 AM, Wild Ben VanDorn said:

I just like long barrels, so naturally, I've gone full-length on my scatterguns. 

One is an original Remington 1889 with 28" barrels chambered in 12 gauge.

My new baby is an original Parker Bros underlever 1876 in 10 gauge with 30" barrels!  Haven't taken it out to play yet, but give me some time to load some BP shells and then my inner Everett Hitch will come out!

Of course, I don't concern myself with speed - just in having fun. . . ;)

Keep your powder dry,

Wild Ben

I have always been fascinated by the various ways doubles can be opened. The underlever is awesome.

On 12/12/2018 at 7:18 PM, Marshal Hangtree said:

I just bought a new double barrel with 28" barrels.  I love the longer barrels for hunting.  So I'm wondering how many here shoot SASS with full length barrels.  Currently, the posse I shoot with doesn't utilize any barricades, windows, or doors to shoot from.

I used to regularly shoot a 30" 97 from the hip.

On 12/14/2018 at 5:31 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

There are a couple at a local gunstore here in Albuquerque.  One is engraved and with excellent wood.  Sold only as a shooter.  If you want contact info, or for me to see what kind of deal you could get, let me know.

Archived