SASS Wire Forum

THIS RATTY OLD REVOLVER

There's nothing to distinguish it.

A slender barrel, ratty looking old model 10 Smith with Pachmayr grips and what used to be a nickle finish that now looks like it was chawed by chemical beavers or something.

I'm going to shoot it today.

As near as I can tell, it'll be the first time in better than a decade it's had fire in its belly.

It belonged to my daughter.

Nancy had blue eyes and apple cheeks, a ready laugh and when she went through the same police academy as I, she benefited from my experience.

I knew they used absolutely the cheapest, filthiest practice ammunition for qualification: bullets were pure lead, probably cut from lead rope and slammed into a die, six rounds and the bore looked like it had silver icicles.

When she shot qualification I fixed her up with half-jacket SWCs loaded to the same velocity.

The rangemaster was used to seeing patterns, not groups; at fifteen feet, dinner plate spread was a good group ... he went down the row of holed silhouettes, "Not bad, not bad, not bad, hel-LO!" -- he looked at a tea saucer sized group and then looked at Nancy, and she turned a little red and said "My dad's Linn Keller," and the rangemaster gave an approving "Um-HUM!", replaced the stub of a smoldering stogie between his teeth, and went on down the line.

Nancy slipped out of her dying body seven years ago today, pancreatic cancer, so today I'm taking her revolver out for some exercise.

It's just a ratty old revolver, nothing to distinguish it, but I'll not willingly part with it.

I have a couple of guns, and other items that were dear to lost friends and family.  I visit with them every time I hold those cherished objects.  

Enjoy your time today.  

A prayer for you and your Nancy brother. 

I shoot my dad's 94 Winchester on long range every month. I say "We did it Pa!" or "Sorry Pa" every month. I get it. 

I hope ya let that piece roar!!

Condolences on your daughter, I didn't know!:(

Enjoy the memory of her that will be brought on by firing that gun!;)

Archived