SASS Wire Forum

What did you get in your stocking?

Alpo

When you was a kid.

I've heard and read about people getting small toys. We never got toys. Not IN it.

Since we didn't have a fireplace, we hung our stockings on our chairs at the dinner table.

Stuff under the tree, wrapped, was from our folks and uncles and aunts and like that. SANTA'S stuff was not wrapped, and he put it on the table at our place (like my older brother's Polaroid Swinger camera in 1967) or on the floor next to it (like my younger brother's bicycle the same year).

But IN the stocking was food. Hershey's kisses. A Lifesaver book. Some homemade chocolate chip cookies or fudge. And always - ALWAYS - a huge red delicious apple and a great big navel orange.

My folks grew up poor in the 20s. An apple or an orange in the middle of winter was probably a helluva thing. So they did it with us. I grew up thinking a Christmas stocking has an apple and an orange in it. I did it with my kids. They weren't impressed. My wife didn't get it.

My grandgirls certainly wouldn't get it, as there is a bowl of fruit sitting on their counter all the time. :(

'bout the same as Alpo...

and definitely the same as Sixgun now days...

We always had an orange, but I don't recall apples.  We'd also have candy canes and other candies, and usually at least one small gift.  I'm pretty sure the fruit was just to fill the stocking. 

My wife informs me that it's supposed to be tangerines, not oranges.  I think that's a british thing.  Maybe we did have tangerines, I'm not sure I can remember the difference 30 years later. 

I only recall having stockings for a couple of Christmas’ as a kid. We had some nuts and candies and a couple of small cheap toys. We were kind of poor.

These days I put jewelry in my wife’s and daughter’s stockings, ammo and gadgets in my Grandson’s and oddball gadgets in my son-in-law’s. And all of them get some chocolate. 

Always an orange and a Hershey, Baby Ruth or Payday candy bar. My folks were poor and we were happy with what we got. Step dad had a sixth grade education and usually worked two jobs, mom had some college but not much. My birthday is close to Christmas so it was usually the same presents.

Stockings were for St. Nicholas eve. We usually got the same thing year to year. An apple or orange, nuts, Hershey kisses and a cap gun. If our behavior wasn't up to standards, there was a lump of coal. Back in the 50's our house had a coal furnace in the basement.

My Grandmother always from one apple, one orange and a banana. Each the biggest , most perfect you could hope for.     GW

As a kid, fruit, chocolate and a tube of BB’s.  There was also great times with family and friends.  Now that I’m bigger my stocking got bigger, this year it’s a new gun leather rig from Old Pueblo Leather In Tucson and a new pair of boots!

Something I seldom talk about, but since I have discussed religion on here, I decided "why not?" My mother was Baptist, my father, a Jehovah's Witness. And you all wondered why I'm so screw...uh... the way I am... At any rate, Christmas was a very low key thing, done away from my father. No tree, stockings, etc... The reasons were something I never really grasped as a kid. Once my older siblings (I'm the youngest by a considerable margin) moved out, they did trees and the like. I didn't have a stocking hung on the mantle until my in-laws had one with my name on it when Mrs. Doc and I were only engaged. It had small mandarin oranges, an apple, some small chocolates and a small "toy" or doodad or two. We've continued the tradition with our own children. The value of fresh fruit back in the days of the depression and before, and even WWII, is something I had never really considered.

At any rate, it does probably help explain why, even though I'm not a Christian, I consider Christmas to be an important cultural holiday, where we can find commonality. 

The ubiquitous chocolate Santa, candy canes, Pez, mints and usually a small toy.

Nowadays I prefer specific consumables.

04BD1A44-A7EB-45FF-BF10-6DAD7A93DA45.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

This year I'm getting a trigger pull scale.  I know I am because I bought it for myself and I'm going to sneak it in when no one is looking then ask who got it for me. 

Did that with an AR once. :)

8 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

And the memory of what to do with it?

Imis

That could be a problem!

Anybody notice I didnt jump right on this

1 hour ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

My younger brother and sister got candy, balls, money, jewelry, and lots of other neat stuff.  All I ever got was a lump of coal.  :(

Imis

Howdy:

In the stocking was walnuts and pecans and hazelnuts (filberts).  An orange and a apple was also included.  I got one small toy, usually a little metal die cast car or truck.  Socks and underwear were the normal gifts and that was what I wanted.    Sometimes my great aunt would give me 5 pennies for candy. :-)

STL Suomi

23 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I'm hoping for a nice Colt SAA!!!:lol:

23 hours ago, grenadier said:

Hopefully it’s a fishnet with the seam up the back and it’s filled with my wife!

No thank you. I have my own wife.

On 12/12/2018 at 10:34 AM, Alpo said:

When you was a kid.

I've heard and read about people getting small toys. We never got toys. Not IN it.

Since we didn't have a fireplace, we hung our stockings on our chairs at the dinner table.

Stuff under the tree, wrapped, was from our folks and uncles and aunts and like that. SANTA'S stuff was not wrapped, and he put it on the table at our place (like my older brother's Polaroid Swinger camera in 1967) or on the floor next to it (like my younger brother's bicycle the same year).

But IN the stocking was food. Hershey's kisses. A Lifesaver book. Some homemade chocolate chip cookies or fudge. And always - ALWAYS - a huge red delicious apple and a great big navel orange.

My folks grew up poor in the 20s. An apple or an orange in the middle of winter was probably a helluva thing. So they did it with us. I grew up thinking a Christmas stocking has an apple and an orange in it. I did it with my kids. They weren't impressed. My wife didn't get it.

My grandgirls certainly wouldn't get it, as there is a bowl of fruit sitting on their counter all the time. :(

My parents also grew up during the depression.  We had stockings hung on the doorknobs in the house.  They weren’t the decorative Xmas kind; they were regular long socks filled with the exact same treats as you described, including an orange, which got rarely.  It was such a treat to get our stockings filled up by Santa, that I would have savored even spinach if I thought it came from the old elf.

Archived