SASS Wire Forum

Freemason Question

Nickel City Dude

This is a little off topic but I need the opinion of some fellow Masons.

I make and sell little wooden temples containing Corn, Wine and Oil for the Fellowcraft degree.  I have two versions of it and I would like to get the opinion from you as to which one is better.  Both are made of wood.  One is stained and varnished and the other is painted white.  I have attached a picture of them both.  Please let me know which one you would choose if you had to lay out $18 for one.

w4Omf8f.jpg

Both are nice but I prefer the stained version on the right.

Corn or wheat?  Although "corn" used to be the term for any grain, not just maize.   I find it interesting that Masons have a ceremony with grain, wine, and oil.  The Orthodox still use the fairly ancient ceremony of the "Lity" (supplication)  during Great Vespers after which God is asked to bless 5 small loaves of bread, a small amount of grain (usually wheat, and I think it is just in the Russian Typicon), a cruet of wine, and one of oil.  

39 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Corn or wheat?  Although "corn" used to be the term for any grain, not just maize.   I find it interesting that Masons have a ceremony with grain, wine, and oil.  The Orthodox still use the fairly ancient ceremony of the "Lity" (supplication)  during Great Vespers after which God is asked to bless 5 small loaves of bread, a small amount of grain (usually wheat, and I think it is just in the Russian Typicon), a cruet of wine, and one of oil.  
In Freemasonry Corn (wheat) Wine and Oil are the wages of a Fellowcraft (2nd Degree) and we symbolically pay all our new Fellowcrafts there wages at the end of the Degree.

11 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

Freemasonry Corn (wheat) Wine and Oil are the wages of a Fellowcraft (2nd Degree) and we symbolically pay all our new Fellowcrafts there wages at the end of the Degree.

Thank you. 

Thanks for the feedback.  The idea of the white one is to simulate the stone that was used for making temple buildings.  But most of the furnishings in a lodge room are stained wood with a clear coating.  I have been making and selling the ones with the stained wood finish for a few years now and I just figured I would solicit some opinions on the white finish experiment. 

9 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

Thanks for the feedback.  The idea of the white one is to simulate the stone that was used for making temple buildings.  But most of the furnishings in a lodge room are stained wood with a clear coating.  I have been making and selling the ones with the stained wood finish for a few years now and I just figured I would solicit some opinions on the white finish experiment. 

I had been thinking about the two, and, not being a Mason, I wasn't going to comment, but came back to give my opinion and saw this.

That is my reasoning - the painted both looks more like stonework AND looks more finished.  Unless you were going to put about 20 coats of hand-rubbed wax on the stained one, for the purpose you are making them, I would suggest the painted.

35 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

the painted both looks more like stonework

13 minutes ago, Bulldog Brown said:

Being a Mason for 48 years, I prefer the white one as stated is more stone like, as the Temples were the Degree work was done. Both are great. Bulldog Brown

In that context I would agree 100% that the painted one is the best choice. To the initiated, the symbolism would not be lost.

I am not a Mason. At first glance I would pick the stained version as more appealing. However I am a model railroader. If your purpose was to more closely simulate the stone of the temple there are techniques that would come closer than white paint. Even a light grey spray paint would come close. Acrylic paints brushed in would give more texture and could have some slight color variations blended in to simulate variations in the stone. my $.02

Imis

As previously stated, white being more centered to our historic labors should be more symbolic of the craft to an initiate

PM 584, 13th District, Grand Jurisdiction of Ohio.

For its symbolic value, the painted.

My personal preference, the wood.

19 hours ago, Nickel City Dude said:

What do you get for the stained ones?

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

What do you get for the stained ones?

They are both the same price ($18 + 7.50 shipping)  I only have the one white one because it is just a prototype, but I have pleanty of stained ones.  You can contact me direct, here is my email address.  t.schultz5@roadrunner.com

NCD

Got your email and will send you the white one.

On 12/10/2018 at 6:57 AM, Charlie T Waite said:

As previously stated, white being more centered to our historic labors should be more symbolic of the craft to an initiate

Now-Know'n the why of the white one, I agree about the white.

TNX for the posts of the 'why', for using the white color.

OLG

13 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG

Thumbs up.gif

Scottish Rite since 1996

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG

OLG....It's not too late for you!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replys.  I made more of the white ones and have them on ebay for sale.  I will see how they go and make my decision about the finish once I have a good selling record of the white ones.  Thanks again for the help.

NCD

Rec'd one of the white ones, very nice. We will be using it in our next Fellowcraft Degree. Thanks for your craftsmanship Brother.

Yes, I have them for sale.  They are $18 + $7.50 shipping.  You can contact me by email at t.schultz5@roadrunner.com

NCD 

Archived