SASS Wire Forum

MEC Super-Sizer Question

TN Mongo, SASS #61450

I use a Mec Size Master press, but occasionally I still get a shell that won't drop into the shell checker.  This is not a problem with my wife's 97, but it can sure add time to a stage with my SKB.  If the shells won't drop in the checker, they're not going in my double.

I have thought about buying a MEC Super-Sizer and running some of the loaded rounds through the resizer after they are loaded.  Do any of you do this?  

had to do it to a bunch of factory shells that suffered from poor quality control. Had zero issues.

I now do it to all my reloads before I insert them into my 600 jr.

If you have a helper you can do a lot of shells in very little time.

Yes, the Mec sizing loaders come real close to making all shells resize down to minimum specification.    I have a Grabber with the sizing fingers.  Gets most shells right, especially with true brass case heads.

But I still have a SuperSizer set up that is easier to adjust to get a real tight resize on the brass.  Any shell that fails in the check gauge goes through the SuperSizer (yes, loaded)

Also, another place that Winchester AAs bulge is about 1/4 inch above the brass.   That is caused by using a small volume of powder and a wad that catches the top edge of the 2-piece base "wad" that AA's now use.  The only true way to avoid this with our light cowboy loads is to switch to Rem STS hulls.   You should make sure you are using a wad that is designed for a "tapered hull."    And avoid putting a lot of pressure on the wad/shot column as you assemble the shells.  The SuperSizer fingers DO NOT reach far enough up the shell to let you fix the bulged-hull-wall problem!

Good luck, GJ

I use the supersizer and had several reject because of the bulge at the front. Check the brass andthe front for fit. I have used the supersizer with loaded ammo. Be careful and check thebottom of the collet for trash, before using it with loaded ammo.

I use the Supersizer on all of my reloads and on certain manufacturers factory loads because they had a tendency to stick after firing, they won’t after Supersizing. You can size them after reloading, by the way.

Some times the top edge of the brass "snags" when resizing them in the press. Supersizing them before going to the press really cuts down on that. BUT there is nothing wrong with after being loaded either.

My MEC Sizemaster resizes and deprimes on the first step, but it doesn't allow me to resize a loaded shell.

In my SKBs I only use gold Nitro or green STS Remington hulls.  I have also found shells that drop right in the checker (right after reloading) that stick when I check them again a week later!

I'm going to invest in a MEC Super Sizer and see if it cuts down on the number of loaded rounds that stick in the checker gauge. 

Thank you all for your insights.

Before I run my hulls through my MEC9000 I check all of my empty hulls for splits or bulges at the business end. If those "seem" ok to be reloaded one more time ( I use mostly the AA's but others too ) I run all of them through the Super - Sizer. In the hundreds I've reloaded NONE have failed to chamber in any of my 3  S x S's.

2 hours ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

Check the front end of the shell. Sometimes there is a slight bulge that will prevent the shell fron dropping in the checker. Stumpman sells a tool to roll the front of the shells to eliminate the bulge.

A54132F2-5C90-45C9-87F8-E8D488E004CA.jpeg

1D44BD2B-F623-4A52-9B26-BB55A20F6C66.jpeg

Please tell us about that inspection tool you are using. 

OLG

I have a chamber checker. If it does not fall into the checker, I use the tool to round off the front end of the shell. Usually the crimp is not completely round and this tool rounds out the outer edge of the crimp to remove crimp bulge. I bought it from Stumpman out of Arkansas. He makes and sells them. It is a tapered swage tool to round out the crimp end of the shell. If the crimp end has a bulge,i t will prevent the shell from dropping into a chamber guage.

1 hour ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

My MEC Sizemaster resizes and deprimes on the first step, but it doesn't allow me to resize a loaded shell.

In my SKBs I only use gold Nitro or green STS Remington hulls.  I have also found shells that drop right in the checker (right after reloading) that stick when I check them again a week later!

I'm going to invest in a MEC Super Sizer and see if it cuts down on the number of loaded rounds that stick in the checker gauge. 

Mongo, I load mine but don't check them for at least a few days or weeks because if the plastic is out of round before you load it it will change back a few days after loading. What you are describing I don't think a Super Sizer will help.

Randy

26 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Please tell us about that inspection tool you are using. 

OLG

SliX Shotshell Sizer - Sold by Badman bullets as well.

3 minutes ago, Oklahoma Dee said:

SliX Shotshell SizerSold by Badman bullets as well.

TNX-Think I found it now.

https://www.badmanbullets.com/OnlineStore/proddetail.php?prod=SliX-Shotshell-Sizer

OLG

Trying to load shells that were stepped on or otherwise out-of-round WILL ALMOST ALWAYS result in an out of round mouth end on the loaded round. 

I inspect and RIGOROUSLY toss out anything the appears even a slight bit out of round. 

Good luck, GJ

I cut and roll crimp all my BlackMZ loads with STS,  Nitro or AA hulls.   It puts a nice taper like the tool above.  But it won't take a star closed round and taper it. 

I've been looking for a cheap Super Sizer at gun shows, etc.  But not found one.  I watched Ebay for a while for a good deal on a used one. But they ask more for a used one than I can buy a new one.  I've seen new ones on Ebay for 3x what a new one would cost! 

2 hours ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

I did the same thing, TN Mongo, and I have no regrets.  I reload once fired STS  Remington green 12 GA, for all major and annuals matches and most do not require the super sizer once over, but some do.  It is now part of my routine to do it to all reloads, be they once fired or multi fired.  I do not have to worry about them, be it one week or one month.....But sometimes I do and it is too easy to sit on the tail gate, crack open a can or two, listen to some tunes, and check em.  Cheap insurance and Ease of mind I guess!  :D

4 hours ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

I use a Mec Size Master press, but occasionally I still get a shell that won't drop into the shell checker.  This is not a problem with my wife's 97, but it can sure add time to a stage with my SKB.  If the shells won't drop in the checker, they're not going in my double.

I have thought about buying a MEC Super-Sizer and running some of the loaded rounds through the resizer after they are loaded.  Do any of you do this?  

I assume you are aware the "MEC Super-Sizer" uses exactly the same "fingered" collet that is used on the Size Master press ... and that it is adjustable (shoot for the brass to end up .800 - .809 for 12 gauge). You don't need excessive wad pressure either ... don't swell the guys out. Of course ... as you are saying ...  once they are loaded you can't run them the first position again. 

shotshell.JPG.eef60e46105306459778befec70232da.JPG

I have a Size Master too ... but liked the rounding/taper that the MEC Finish Die does to the end of the shell ... Unfortunately, the Size Master is not equipped with the finish die and there is no place to mount it.

Sooooooooo ... I stripped out a 600 JR and mounted the MEC Zytel Finish Die in the last position. After everything is loaded (on the Size Master) I run them though the finish die to clean up / round the tips.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/MEC-Zytel-Finish-Die-522P/productinfo/130522P/

I also use a (size) 10 1/2 ring to check the sizing of the shell ... they should drop freely through a 10 1/2 ring.

1 hour ago, Patagonia Pete said:

"MEC Super-Sizer" uses exactly the same "fingered" collet that is used on the Size Master press

Yep, and it's hard to get at to adjust.  On the super-sizer, it's out in the open and easy to tinker with.  :P

18 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Yep, and it's hard to get at to adjust.  On the super-sizer, it's out in the open and easy to tinker with.  :P

Well yes .. but ... you just loosen the locknut underneath and screw the collet in or out ... Mic the brass until you are in spec and tighten the nut. 

For sure a pain if the thing is bolted down and you can't get behind it but you only have to do it once. 

IMHO ... I don't think a run through a super sizer is going to solve the problem anyhow ... it only squeezes the bottom ... Sounds more like there is excessive wad pressure and/or the load stack is too high for the crimp adjustment. Once the shell sits the pressure overcomes the case and bulges out like a pigeon eating rice (fly home quick before you swell up!!). :ph34r: 

Well, the correct solution almost always depends upon finding the real and major problem......

The problem can occur anywhere the length of the loaded round.   A micrometer/caliper finds the location faster than any other "tinking" around.

Whatever is larger than about 0.809" at base (or 0.798" at the crimp), needs to be "squoze."

Good luck, GJ

I bought a Darne shotgun last fall and found the chambers to be so tight that most of my 2 1/2" reloads were hard to chamber. I found a used Supersizer on eBay, set it as tight as it would go, and the problem was solved. :)

I normally size empty hulls, but I've done a lot of loaded ones too - no problem.

My biggest problem is the brass base.  I was not aware that I could adjust the base sizer on my MEC Sizemaster.  If any of my rounds stick because of the plastic part of the hull, they go in the stack for the wife's 97.  Her 1906 production D model will eat anything.

Midway was running the MEC Supersizer for $116.  I should have it in a few days.  They were much more expensive on Amazon and Ebay.  I saw an older one with plenty of rust on it at an estate sale this weekend; they wanted $90 for it.  I tried to negotiate a fairer price, but they wouldn't budge.

20 hours ago, Oklahoma Dee said:

SliX Shotshell Sizer - Sold by Badman bullets as well.

Dee is one of my heros so got mine on order

did read some reviews and one said it took a bit more effort than he expected--I'm thinking of fabricating a handle to aid in using it as well as putting a hole in the handle so I can attach it to gun cart and keep it from growing legs and running off.

1 hour ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

Dee is one of my heros so got mine on order

did read some reviews and one said it took a bit more effort than he expected--I'm thinking of fabricating a handle to aid in using it as well as putting a hole in the handle so I can attach it to gun cart and keep it from growing legs and running off.

I've got one and used it this past weekend and gave each shell a quick twist before putting it in my belt.  Didn't have a single shell hang up going in or coming out. 

The "tool" is not what's uncomfortable to hold - it's the base of the shotgun shell. 

Since I can readily obtain once fired AA's at most matches, that's all I load. I still cull the shells and wipe them down with an older silicone gun rag prior to resizing. I run every shell though the MEC Super-Sizer prior to loading in my MEC 650. I rarely have issues with shotshells sticking in my double.  

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 4:03 PM, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

I do. All the time.

Archived