SASS Wire Forum

Source for 38 special brass (once fired)

Ramblin Rob

I may have a fair amount of it. I will check and get back to you. Might even have some unfired as well. I only shot 38 for a short time before switching to 45

I have approximately 500 +/- with 200 being brand new in the package Winchester unfired/unprimed. the balance of them are mixed headstamp. A small number (in the separate bag have not been polished. How does 40.00 shipped to you sound for this?

IMG_0238.jpeg

IMG_0237.jpeg

IMG_0236.jpeg

IMG_0239.jpeg

note, the last batch of Winchester unfired brass I loaded need to be run thru the sizing die. Found out the hard way when bullets would fall in after I had already primed and powdered them.

I bought a batch of "Lightning" brass from Graf's recently (to make a minimum order). I wasn't expecting much but when it showed up I was shocked. It looked like new brass ... even the insides were bright and shiny. The only downside was that there were a small percentage of military in there (which was aggravating but disappeared after the first pass through the 650). 

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/514?

I've had good experiences with these folks for used brass (shoot .40 S&W in lost brass ASI matches) with fast delivery:  https://www.diamondkbrass.com/home.php

For rifle .38's I just buy new Starline once in a great while. They ship for $130.50 per 1K. For pistol brass I just keep an eye on the wire. The only time I ever lose any pistol brass is at IDPA matches.

Church Key

I went looking for a good source a few months back, this place https://www.nereloading.com/index.php/38-special-indoor-range-brass-1000-count.html was a pleasure to deal with, quick ship and the best deal I could find on once fired.  As a bonus it's tumbled.    I picked up 5 thousand rounds and it's turned out to be great brass, I've only culled a couple pieces and have just about loaded it all once.  $35 a thousand shipped is pretty reasonable.

21 hours ago, Hillbilly Drifter said:

note, the last batch of Winchester unfired brass I loaded need to be run thru the sizing die. Found out the hard way when bullets would fall in after I had already primed and powdered them.

Which is why you should always run brand-spanky new brass through the sizing die.

You cannot count on it being sized correctly to ot have the correct neck tension.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to finish up this thread, I received the 1000 pieces of 38 special brass from NE Reloading.  It came in two 500 piece bags.  I opened one bag and in the first handful of brass I found a 9mm with a .380 nestled inside of it.  I said a bad word thinking there would be more of this to come.  I inspected the remainder of the 500 piece bag and found nothing but clean, shiny 38 special brass.  I haven't reloaded any of it yet but the quality of the brass looks great, and it is really shiny.  

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 11:53 AM, Fireball #7709 Life said:

I went looking for a good source a few months back, this place https://www.nereloading.com/index.php/38-special-indoor-range-brass-1000-count.html was a pleasure to deal with, quick ship and the best deal I could find on once fired.  As a bonus it's tumbled.    I picked up 5 thousand rounds and it's turned out to be great brass, I've only culled a couple pieces and have just about loaded it all once.  $35 a thousand shipped is pretty reasonable.

Oh, we were gonna keep that a secret! LOL

On 12/9/2018 at 11:53 AM, Fireball #7709 Life said:

That’s the best deal I’m aware of. I couldn’t resist and bought 3,000 for $105 shipped.

On 12/24/2018 at 7:27 AM, Lunger Dan said:

Rob...I'll bring a thousand or so to the next shoot for you. 
I had a bad brass addiction before starting SASS....I don't use .38

Wow..........thanks!!!  Merry Christmas to you (and me).  See you then.

My question is and always will be, how do you know, for sure, it's only been fired once.  Brass swept up from a range may have been reloaded many times.  Maybe that's why it was left on the floor.

Rather than try to search for the unicorn that once fired brass can be, I go to Star Line direct and buy it new.  Never been fired.  .38 Special is 130.50/thousand.  .32 H&R Magnum will run you 151.50 per thousand.

3 hours ago, Chuck Would, SASS # 53289 said:

My question is and always will be, how do you know, for sure, it's only been fired once.  Brass swept up from a range may have been reloaded many times.  Maybe that's why it was left on the floor.

Rather than try to search for the unicorn that once fired brass can be, I go to Star Line direct and buy it new.  Never been fired.  .38 Special is 130.50/thousand.  .32 H&R Magnum will run you 151.50 per thousand.

.460 S&W, .454 Casull, .50 Beowulf, .308 Win, or even precision .223 Rem - new Starline cases are a must. 

.38 Special & .45 Colt cowboy loads which I might get 85 - 90% back at a match - I'll take the "once" fired brass for a third of the price. 

On 12/9/2018 at 9:53 AM, Fireball #7709 Life said:

Wow that's about half of what I paid for my last 1000 pieces, thanks for the heads up!

Archived