SASS Wire Forum

Daughter Is driving to Seattle need advice

owen judice

To all my CAS Brothers and Sisters in the west my daughter is in the Army and she just returned to the states from 3 years in Japan and we need some travel advice. We took care of her car while she was gone and now she is going to drive it back to Seattle where she will be stationed again. We live in East Texas east of Dallas. She was thinking about traveling through Albuquerque to California and then to Seattle. I am hoping that she might be able to go through  Amarillo to Denver to Salt Lake City to Twin Falls to Boise and then to Seattle. If she could go that route she could make it in 3 long days and 2 nights. She won't be traveling alone, Mom is going with her to help with the driving. Any advice from the folks that live and travel out west would be much appreciated. Owen Judice

Just check passes that will be going over.  Maybe get the WA DOT app for info in case chains required when go. There are some passes if coming up south route from CA where can get snow, not sure if they require chains.  CA route would likely have less snow most places but potentially bad traffic.

Time arrival well for city traffic....avoid 6-9 or 2-6 if possible to make it a bit easier when you do get there.

She getting stationed at JBLM?

Regardless of the route she picks, she should have survival gear for both her and her Mom!  That should include clothing, blankets and MRE's or other rations.  I am presuming your daughter has had proper weapons training, and I would certainly advise having a firearm in the vehicle. She should check, however, with the laws of the states, counties and cities through which she will be travelling as to how the weapon must be secured!  If she should get stuck, be sure she knows to keep the exhaust pipe of the vehicle clear of snow, and to crack the windows to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning!  Wishing them both a safe trip!  And thanks for her service!

How old are the tires? If over 5yrs-replace them.

Let her pick the route.

Carry a sleeping bag, water and some canned fruit, just in case.

Make sure she has extra 'meds' if she takes any.

How old is her phone-Maybe you could get her the latest version of what she has.

OLG

16 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Regardless of the route she picks, she should have survival gear for both her and her Mom!  That should include clothing, blankets and MRE's or other rations.  I am presuming your daughter has had proper weapons training, and I would certainly advise having a firearm in the vehicle. She should check, however, with the laws of the states, counties and cities through which she will be travelling as to how the weapon must be secured!  If she should get stuck, be sure she knows to keep the exhaust pipe of the vehicle clear of snow, and to crack the windows to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning!  Wishing them both a safe trip!  And thanks for her service!

DO NOT take a firearm into California.  Regardless of the laws the stare is rabidly anti gun and even if she is cleared of any wrongdoing the delays and costs will most certainly be damaging to her mentally, emotionally, and perhaps professionally.

I know a lot of Californians will dispute this or play it down, but it really worth the risk?

If she is going over the rocky mountains this is the official site for CDOT...  CDOT website

Generally if a storm is forcast the 4 wheelers fall under the "traction" laws of needing M&S tires, AWD or 4WD or chains

after opening go to "cameras" and choose your route and you will have video of the roads in real time (plus or minus about a 5 minute delay on the still cameras)

Useful to get a feel for how much to believe or disbelieve the weather guessers here:)

Be safe and enjoy the beauty of our mountains!!

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

For transporting through CA as long as it isn't an Evil Black Rifle or an NFA item 1) for a vehicle with a trunk transport them unloaded in the trunk 2) otherwise the firearm has to be unloaded with installed CA DOJ approved gun lock .  Don't transport an EBR through CA.  Once she is in WA send the EBR to her.*  If she wants to take a handgun for protection during the trip buy a handgun lock box to store handgun unloaded.  Store the ammo separately. 

*WA residents how does the recently passed ballot measure affect owners of semi-auto rifles with fixed or detachable magazines that hold more than 10 rounds?  From what I have heard the Ruger 10/22 is an assault weapon.

I think we’re losing focus on the road trip here. If I was making the trip I would take the southern route. This is December and unless she is experienced in winter driving in adverse weather, she’ll be much more comfortable avoiding the Rockies this time of year.

8 hours ago, owen judice said:

T We live in East Texas east of Dallas. She was thinking about traveling through Albuquerque to California and then to Seattle. I am hoping that she might be able to go through  Amarillo to Denver to Salt Lake City to Twin Falls to Boise and then to Seattle. Owen Judice

If it was me, I'd go North from Denver on I-25 To Billings, then I-90 West to Seattle. She'd probably save half a day just not fighting traffic. Not to mention NOT giving California any of her hard earned money in Taxes.

4 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

If it was me, I'd go North from Denver on I-25 To Billings, then I-90 West to Seattle. She'd probably save half a day just not fighting traffic. Not to mention NOT giving California any of her hard earned money in Taxes.

Agree, no need to travel through CA. I live on I -80, it's the most direct route with the least twisty turny roads. However, all the the westbound interstate options have the potential for lousy weather in the winter. Keep an eye on the weather in the winter. Once through Colorado, Wyoming, or Montana it gets easy.

11 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

What are her duties that will station her in Seattle? Not a lot of Army there anymore, though there must be something obviously.

I too am curious. But I don’t have a need to know. ;)

Here in California watch arrival times going into some of the bigger cities...Depending on time of day they can be a mess to get threw...

Texas Lizard

Have good trip and be safe...

Coming into California...Fill up with gas first....It is not cheap...

What Allie said is true. I would go up I-5, especially this time of year. Also, ask her to tune in to the AM radio frequencies that are posted near the passes so she can get a heads up on weather conditions before heading up the passes.

Weather permitting, she's best off taking the non-California route - it'll add a few hundred miles to the trip.  That could be significant.

If the northern routes are stormy, well, Allie and Pat are generally correct about the I-5 route.  But snow can be an issue there, too.  I've seen it totally messed up in parts of Oregon - but that was in early spring.  

8 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I too am curious. But I don’t have a need to know;)

When I was in Intelligence you don't have the need to know was the most hated thing I could possibly say to my wife.

The Army is the only branch with food/health inspectors so she can go just about anywhere. They will be heading out around January 1 and my wife will fly back. They will not carry any firearms, she can't have them in the barracks and it would be to big a hassel for my to fly back with one. I was mostly looking for what are folks seeing in that part of the country right now. I'm well aware of the fact that storms can come on quickly but I haven't heard of any major weather issues yet this winter. Thanks for all the advice. I never tell her what to do just advise provide information. I'm known as the navigator of the family.

1 hour ago, owen judice said:

The Army is the only branch with food/health inspectors so she can go just about anywhere. They will be heading out around January 1 and my wife will fly back. They will not carry any firearms, she can't have them in the barracks and it would be to big a hassel for my to fly back with one. I was mostly looking for what are folks seeing in that part of the country right now. I'm well aware of the fact that storms can come on quickly but I haven't heard of any major weather issues yet this winter. Thanks for all the advice. I never tell her what to do just advise provide information. I'm known as the navigator of the family.

If she decides to go the california route let me know and I'll send you a couple of ways that will allow them to avoid the LA area while still seeing some nice scenery. Even during non-peak traffic times LA is one place I would avoid.

On 12/8/2018 at 1:53 PM, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

If she is going over the rocky mountains this is the official site for CDOT...  CDOT website

Generally if a storm is forcast the 4 wheelers fall under the "traction" laws of needing M&S tires, AWD or 4WD or chains

after opening go to "cameras" and choose your route and you will have video of the roads in real time (plus or minus about a 5 minute delay on the still cameras)

Useful to get a feel for how much to believe or disbelieve the weather guessers here:)

Be safe and enjoy the beauty of our mountains!!

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I just went and out the website, very cool. This will be very helpful when they decide which way to go. They are not the adventurous types but a little snow and mountains might be a nice change of pace and add something to the trip other than just getting there.

4 hours ago, owen judice said:

Just be advised that the weather in the mountains can be unpredictable and rapidly deteriorating. In many areas show chains are required during winter in caee of a storm. I 70 west of Denver is notorious.

Despite Californias ridiculous state government, it’s not exactly the Crimea. :lol: I have relatives there and travelled through the state without any problems.

Guest Grass Range #51406
On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:26 PM, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

What are her duties that will station her in Seattle? Not a lot of Army there anymore, though there must be something obviously.

Probably Ft Lewis, not Seattle

A set of tire chains is cheap insurance.  The road conditions in Idaho can change quickly this time of year.  Can normally be found for around 25-30 bucks.  Could even use them in Seattle when she gets there if needed.  Make sure she knows how to put them on and take them off.  And a candle or two--In a stranded car they can keep you warm until help arrives.

Guest Grass Range #51406
21 hours ago, Smoky Pistols said:

A set of tire chains is cheap insurance.  The road conditions in Idaho can change quickly this time of year.  Can normally be found for around 25-30 bucks.  Could even use them in Seattle when she gets there if needed.  Make sure she knows how to put them on and take them off.  And a candle or two--In a stranded car they can keep you warm until help arrives.

I buy a new pair of tire chains every year for both pickups. $80 to $100

10 minutes ago, Grass Range #51406 said:

I buy a new pair of tire chains every year for both pickups. $80 to $100

Oh-trucks.  yeah those are a bit more spendy

North Idaho has some interesting weather today!!! We are used to it and our plows are quite efficient. I NEVER go into Kalifornia. I drive to matches all winter and, with chains and survival gear, have no real problems. Take the Interstates and US 95. They are kept pretty clean.

The WA State Patrol will fine you $500 if you drive without chains through a pass where they're required, so FYI. Snoqualmie Pass is the lowest elevation and the easiest to cross, but there are always accidents there thanks to big rigs going too fast or idiots thinking they're filming a winter car commercial.

Les Schawb is one of the best places to buy chains.  Easy to put on or take off and if you don't use them they will buy them back. They will also exchange unused chains for a different size if you buy a different car.

No stores in this part of the country but they do have stores in Alaska California Colorado Idaho Montana Nevada Oregon Utah Washington

Some of the smallere SUVs won’t take chains becuse of the lack of fender clearance. You need cables for those. Check the owners manual.

35 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Some of the smallere SUVs won’t take chains becuse of the lack of fender clearance. You need cables for those. Check the owners manual.

True.

Unless it has changed, The sales people at Les Schawb are real good at making sure the chains/cables they sell you will fit.

Archived