SASS Wire Forum

.30-30 reloading

Don Jorge

First off you don't always need Gas Checked Bullets ,,,, as a matter of fact I never use them and I know of very few that do !

I have hunting loads that drive plain based bullets over 1,900 fps.

I suggest you buy Lyman's Cast bullet Manuel ...

I prefer Hornady Dies ...

Jabez Cowboy

If I were going to buy bullets,  I'd buy coated ones and skip the gas check. Do some research and I think you can push coated bullets as fast as you want to go in a 30-30.

Here is a coated 30-30 bullet from Missouri Bullets. 135g and 165

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/75740

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/75741

For my long range, lever action rifle side match I'm shooting Laser Cast bullets without a gas check and getting nice groups at 200 yards.

Check your brass length. 30 30 strrtches a lot and if not trimmed, your rifle bolt wont close

I have had my best results using a gas check 173gr mold from Lyman.  I also recommend using a Lyman .30 cal M-Die.  The M-Die helps prevent lead shaving while seating the bullet.  This setup with IMR 3031 powder has worked well for me.

I'm casting a GCFP 150 grain bullet from a Saeco #316 mold, 6 parts wheel weights, 1 part linotype, running @ 2160fps average.  Best group to date, ¾" @ 200 yards.  Brass is all weighed, trimmed & matched to .1 grain.  Thinking of buying a jeweler's scale to make it even more accurate for weight.  I've been loading on an old set of std. RCBS .30-30 dies.   Bullets are gas-checked, lubed & sized to .309, then weighed for grouping to the nearest .1 grain.  Yeah, I know, sorta like bench rest ammo... 

Have twelve 30-30 molds in inventory - shot every one and they all are accurate.

Favorites are these Ideal molds:

311413.JPG

311413 The Squibb gas check bullet for the Springfield and other .30-06 rifles. Perhaps the most accurate gas check bullet yet produced. Excellent for target practice up to 600 yards. Has also been largely used for small game shooting in the Northwest, particularly for ducks at long range. Makes a most excellent load where one wishes to save the wear on his barrel from the full charged factory cartridge. Powder charge 16 grains Du Pont No. 80 powder, or 23 grains Hercules Lightning powder. Also very good for other 30 calibers. (GC, SP, 169 - TP is 413)

311291_170g.gif 311291 Designed for .30-30, .303 Savage and .30 Remington cartridges, but popular for all 30 caliber rifles. (GC, RN, 170 - TP is 465)

Both molds are always on eBay and load using Lee 30-30 dies - Lee Collet Die https://leeprecision.com/reloading-dies/rifle-dies/lee-collet-dies/

Depending on rifle groove diameter - resized using Lee Lube/Sizer with bullets coated with Lee Alox and using 3031 powder

Lee Dies .

Lee Mold .

Gas Checked .

APP Powder .

Rooster 

Archived