SASS Wire Forum

Farewell to a fine Pennsylvania SASS club

Black Hills Barb

On November 11, 2018 the West Shore Posse held their last match.  This club had been in existence for 25 years.  It was once the home of the Northeast Regional and the PA State Match (held together).  On June 10, 2000 we viewed CAS for the first time at this match.  I have a stack of pics I took that day, many of strangers who later became friends and others that are no longer with us.  It was what we experienced that day that fueled our interest in CAS - so much laughter, super fast shooters laughing after missing big, close targets, probably dozens of invitations to "git yerselves some guns 'n join us", the Lone Ranger, Jim West, mountain men, saloon girls.....  Oh, and the Change Boys in drag!  Even that didn't scare us away.  We went home and began our plan to purchase guns, gear and clothing.  We joined SASS later that summer and began shooting the following spring at a club much closer to our home.  It was not until several years later that we added the shoots at West Shore to our monthly schedule.  Although we won't be shooting at that range any longer, I know we will still see many of our friends along the trail at other clubs.  Thank you to all who contributed to 25 years of cowboy memories with the West Shore Posse.

My husband and I shot here several times over our 9 years shooting CAS. The matches were always fun and well run. We met many a fine shooter here and picked up some friends along the way. We introduced a new shooter (his first ever match) at this club and he was hooked too. We will miss the West Shore Posse and thank them for their dedication over the years.

It's truly a sad event to hear about yet another Cowboy Action Shooting venue close it's doors. I'm sorry to say that I believe that it is something that we will see more of in the coming years due to both our aging membership and the onslaught from the EPA. 

Snakebite

It was a fine club and I hate to see it go. There were only a few folks who did all the work and they apparently finally wore out. When I started there in the early 2000's they used six bays and parking was a nightmare. The last few matches I attended had only a dozen or so attendees shooting on two bays. It's a shame, but time marches on. I'll miss Westshore as another chapter in life closes.

Church Key

I shot there in 1997, The Susquehanna Round up, it was my 3rd CAS match and man, Did I learn a lot. There were some great people there and I got to meet some of the old CAS-L pards that I had only talked to online. They will be missed.

Sorry to see them go as well.  Lot's of folks poured their heart and soul into that club over the years, and many a fine shooter passed through their doors.

Thanks to all who supported and worked at West Shore, and especially my pard Hud McCoy who kept it running as long as he was able.  Best always to you my friend!

Had some good times there. Y'all ran some very good matches.

32 minutes ago, Gunner, SASS #1940 said:

I was there for there first match and many thereafter.

What happened?

bottom line(s) ... lower turnout and the MD stepped down with no one able to step up.

I'm going to say just one more thing in regards to another club closing down. If we want Cowboy action shooting to last, then it is up to US.... yes, US, those who play the game. No matter what, nobody can take the game from us.. we own it because we play it. If you want it to last, then don't get into any petty pi$$ing contest with any of your local clubs, just support them. As long as we support one another, we will always have a place to play the game no matter what else may happen. 

17 hours ago, Snakebite said:

I'm going to say just one more thing in regards to another club closing down. If we want Cowboy action shooting to last, then it is up to US.... yes, US, those who play the game. No matter what, nobody can take the game from us.. we own it because we play it. If you want it to last, then don't get into any petty pi$$ing contest with any of your local clubs, just support them. As long as we support one another, we will always have a place to play the game no matter what else may happen. 

I'm not disagreeing at all. 

In the few years I've been part of this, I've seen more clubs go away because no one wants to (or can) step up and run the monthly matches.  For some it's because they've burned out without receiving a lot of help. For some it's because of physical abilities. But for some it's because they just don't want to step up. 

Thank you Black Hills Barb for the kind words in regards to the Westshore Posse and the support that you and your family gave us over the years.

I started my SASS career at Westshore. Did the registration and scores for many years and their web site for over 20 years. Great folks throughout the years. And, many, many great memories and lifelong friendships came from the Westshore Posse. Always remembered to turn left at the blue house!

I'll never forget one Susquehanna Round up when it rained. I mean a LOT.  Score cards were soaked and the scores from one card were stuck to the back of the card on top of it.  A real nightmare! 

The lack of help is a key reason for clubs closing down. Attendance is another but with the proper help, you can continue. 25 years is a long time, sad to see it close but I understand.

Roo

4 hours ago, Chuckaroo #13080 Regulator said:

I started my SASS career at Westshore. Did the registration and scores for many years and their web site for over 20 years. Great folks throughout the years. And, many, many great memories and lifelong friendships came from the Westshore Posse. Always remembered to turn left at the blue house!

I'll never forget one Susquehanna Round up when it rained. I mean a LOT.  Score cards were soaked and the scores from one card were stuck to the back of the card on top of it.  A real nightmare! 

The lack of help is a key reason for clubs closing down. Attendance is another but with the proper help, you can continue. 25 years is a long time, sad to see it close but I understand.

Roo

I remember that match!  Water was coming down like a waterfall.  That was really something to experience.

5 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

I remember that match!  Water was coming down like a waterfall.  That was really something to experience.

Doc,

Believe it or not, that was my second worst rain match.  Number one was the Last Stand in Orlando, around 2001 or so.  It rained so hard that the county evacuated us from the range. The next morning, the host hotel had a sign on the front door that said shooters, do not go to the range until 12:00 noon.  They had to rebuild part of the road. Very wet on side match day but the match, although wet, was without rain. On one berm, you were standing in about 6 inches of water. Great memory!!  There was a guy, in a rental Lincoln, that got stuck every day but one on the pea gravel road to the match. They gave him an award for getting to the match "clean" that one day. The car was in a hole with the rear end down so low that water was up to the rear window.

4 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

I was at that match also.  Man, that was wet.  Lots of folks around then.  Remember Three Fingered Jake?  He fired the fastest five rounds out of one of his pistols that I ever saw. 

I certainly do remember Jake. Sadly he passed away a few years ago. But, he was FAST!

I was involved at the matches there back in the beginning, and in the start of the posse.  I had a lot of great times there until life got turned upside down from a job loss and then physical infirmities.   I hope I pulled my weight back then when I could.   The object lesson here is for everyone to help out where they can to keep the posse active.

On 12/9/2018 at 11:09 PM, Snakebite said:

On 12/10/2018 at 4:37 PM, Chief Rick said:

I'm not disagreeing at all. 

In the few years I've been part of this, I've seen more clubs go away because no one wants to (or can) step up and run the monthly matches.  For some it's because they've burned out without receiving a lot of help. For some it's because of physical abilities. But for some it's because they just don't want to step up. 

I guess some of this is a side effect of the "aging" of our shooters.  I began in my 40s.  Here it is just months from medicare and I'm still doing it.  Tired? yes  Frustrated?  very much at times  Burned out?  Of shooting - No.  Of pretty much doing it without help at times - Yes.  
However, after our latest appeal, we seem to have a pretty dedicated group that have stepped in to offer assistance.  It has recharged my batteries for as long as it lasts, too.  This is why I encourage everyone to recruit, recruit, recruit!  Real life has a way of sneaking up on us all and changing our plans!  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2018 at 3:20 PM, Black Hills Barb said:

I guess some of this is a side effect of the "aging" of our shooters. 

However, after our latest appeal, we seem to have a pretty dedicated group that have stepped in to offer assistance.  It has recharged my batteries for as long as it lasts, too.  This is why I encourage everyone to recruit, recruit, recruit!  Real life has a way of sneaking up on us all and changing our plans!  

I think Barb has hit on a major reason for events crashing and burning.  I'm glad that her club has people who responded to the call.  

From my experiences in shooting and in work, there is a need for constant integration of new people into the process to provide for orderly succession.  One major event I take part in almost went under for good when the people who had been running it for years all basically burned out and quit at the same time.  So for one year the match didn't happen.  Luckily a group stepped forward and took it over the following year.  My former employer had a fellow who took over most of my duties when I quit in 2002.  He died suddenly last January and the firm hadn't provided for any cross-training or succession.  So 15 years after I quit, including 2 years of being retired, my old firm was asking me if I would be interested in coming back to work for them.  But I couldn't see myself coming out of retirement and facing a 35 mile commute into horrendous traffic each day.  I don't know what my old employer is going to do.

Archived