SASS Wire Forum

Humbly asking for prayers for my Mom

Clay Mosby

My Mom was 86 when she was diagnosed with dementia back in 2013, and the years since have been a trial as she slowly declined. But she is a stubborn fighter, and steadfastly refused to give in and refused all attempts to convince her to consider moving into assisted living. And she is independent and private enough to strongly resist having in home care.  We did finally get care in her home, but not as much as she really needed.

Well, this past Saturday Mom suffered a stroke, a result of age and something called CAA, cerebral amyloid angiopathy. She can speak and move everything, but has lost half of her field of vision and is frail and feeble requiring assistance in everything. Will be moving her into a skilled nursing facility today, and then after 2-4 weeks there, if she makes enough progress, we will be moving her to a memory care facility. My biggest concern is that she is going to be so angry about not being able to go home that she might just give up.

My wife East Coast Filly, has been my rock through this, but we can use all the extra prayers as we now take care of a wonderful lady that helped us out so many times  in the past.

Clay,

I'll remember your Mother and YOUR family in my prayers.

A Prayer for her sight healing and a Prayer that she accepts proper care.

My Mom is 91 and in good health.  But she is also stubborn and has told all of us

kids that she would rather move into a nursing home (if needed) than to ever move

in with any of us kids and burden us.   There are 5 of us who have room in our homes

of which she knows she is more than welcome.   BUT, she is also super independent, so

I can relate to the feelings your Mother has.

May God bless and keep your Mother safe and well cared for.

..........Widder

Mom never wanted to go to a nursing home or assisted living either. She was fiercly independent for her first 92 years. A series of falls and minor strokes made her realize that it was time. We were able to get her into a real nice assisted living. She accepted it pretty quickly after she found out how nice it was to not have to cook, clean, etc. She bounced between the assisted living and nursing home depending on her condition but always wanted to be "home" at the assisted living.

Cherish every moment that you still have with her. Visit as often as possible.

Our prayers are for her recovery and her acceptance of extended care.

It was two years ago yesterday that we lost Mom.

Clay:

First off, will be praying for your mother.

These will be trying times; however, with GOD's will, you will get through.

As Seamus alluded to, you MUST visit often! Not only so she doesn't feel abandoned, but more importantly to make sure that she is being cared for by the facility.

Be sure to take any complains she addresses as serious and follow-up on them.

Her well-being is of the utmost importance.

You've got the prayers of my family outgoing.

Wow, 86 5 years ago she sure must be one tough lady at 91. Prayers for her comfort and the family.

Prayers up for you, your mom and the other members of your family.

As one of my students told me last week "Be glad for the memories of your past, rejoice in each others company today and look forward to being reunited in our Heavenly Fathers kingdom in the future"

His mother passed away this morning at 91 years of age, and did not know who he was (or his brother and two sisters) for the past 3 years:(

Respectfully

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Prayers on the way

I went down that road with my Dad. It's a rough one.

I'll pray for your Mom, and especially for you, Clay.

Brazos

Prayers heading south from the northern side of the Medicine Line.

Thank you everyone from the bottom of our hearts.

Mom is now resting in a skilled nursing facility for a few weeks of rehab while we research a permanent place for her.

13 hours ago, Clay Mosby said:

My Mom was 86 when she was diagnosed with dementia back in 2013, and the years since have been a trial as she slowly declined. But she is a stubborn fighter, and steadfastly refused to give in and refused all attempts to convince her to consider moving into assisted living. And she is independent and private enough to strongly resist having in home care.  We did finally get care in her home, but not as much as she really needed.

Well, this past Saturday Mom suffered a stroke, a result of age and something called CAA, cerebral amyloid angiopathy. She can speak and move everything, but has lost half of her field of vision and is frail and feeble requiring assistance in everything. Will be moving her into a skilled nursing facility today, and then after 2-4 weeks there, if she makes enough progress, we will be moving her to a memory care facility. My biggest concern is that she is going to be so angry about not being able to go home that she might just give up.

My wife East Coast Filly, has been my rock through this, but we can use all the extra prayers as we now take care of a wonderful lady that helped us out so many times  in the past.

Clay, my Mom went through that so I know how tough it is...and will continue to be.  Your whole family has my prayers.

God bless her, and you.  Went through this twice.  It's not easy, but praying for strength for all of you.  Just saying, it gets easier if you can let go of "normal" expectations.

14 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

The mom unit is the one person you want to take care of as best as you can until her last days. After all she did the same for you during your first! :wub:

So very true! Mom pulled our bacon out of the fire one more than one occasion even when we were "grown-ups".

She's in the care center now. As the days pass we're getting s clearer picture of just how hard the stroke hit her. She can walk (with assistance), speak(very softly, one or two words at a time} and see, (on her right field of vision only) but cannot respond well to directions or questions. Very confused. 

Archived