SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun Barrel Bending.....

Rancho Roy

Got a shotgun that doesn't shoot where you aim?

I had one and wanted to do something about it....

"Shotgun Barrel Bending to Change Point Of Impact"

A full report is now posted on my web site:

IMG_20181203_163534505-vi.jpg

Hope you enjoy it!

We got an ole 'fella here goes by the handle of Down -Under Undertaker, I have seen him on occassions bashin' the crap out of his  SXS barrels on a tree :D...says it works..hmm I'II reserve my judgement !!

Curious question:  Just how far off is your POI in relation to your POA at your desired distance?

If its a Right or Left situation, you could move your front bead to accommodate.

If its an Up or Down problem, you might be able to fix it with proper stock setup with negative/positive cant.

..........Widder

Hi Widder......the shot gun with the adjustable comb all the way down and the butt plate set neutral ( no adjustment) was shooting all the shot under point of aim. To use it in this condition I would need to cover the bird with the barrel to hit it. Not good.

With the comb extended fully, 3/4” up, it was better, but still only 30/70. And it didn’t fit me well at all. I was looking for 70/30 and the only option was barrel bending or custom, off concentric choke tubes.

Barrel  bending was much less expensive and seemed like a fun thing to do.

Shotguns are never aimed. They must fit perfectly and be pointed. If they fit right and the POI is correct, both eyes open, never looking at the bead, they will hit where you are looking. This is why there is such a thing as a Try Gun to facilitate setting up the shotgun to you. Then, stock bending, barrel bending, bead positioning, weight considerations, etc, etc, etc all come into play. All adds up to a proper hitting shotgun than can cost well into the $10,000 range. 

Barrel bending is a very legitimate method of adjusting the point of aim on shotguns.  It's also used to "regulate" the POI on double rifles. 

I used the same method (although the equipment I used was pure shade tree) to repair the barrel on my wallhanger Winchester 1887.  The barrel is very thick and it took a lot to bend it in the short spans where the bends were.  It would be a different proposition to just put a slight sweeping in a full length barrel. 

I'm working on a video of when I tested the old 87.

Guest Grass Range #51406

I use a hydraulic dent raiser to remove dents (like the guy must have had after beating the block of wood). also works as an anvil if hammering out a bulge. I also made a bender like Rancho Roy uses

Back in the day bending barrels was an accepted practice.  Before the advent of "bridge truss" ribs on trap guns, getting a gun to shoot higher was up to the shooter.  I've even heard of a trap shooter wedging his barrel in between the boards of a park bench to bend it.  I had a 1897 30" full choke that had been bent up (didn't notice until I looked down the bore when cleaning and saw the firing pin was off center).  It was an absolute clay assassin on the trap field.  Tied a guy with 23 from the 27 yard line with it who was shooting a Lutjic custom.  Told him it was the best $350 I'd ever spent.  Unlike most trap shooters he thought that was funny.  Made in 1922 and was super tight and clean.  Sold it to a nice SASS lady with a 3 digit badge who'd beat her '97 to death.  Of course then I wanted another.  Found a 1910 that was probably reblued and rebuilt in the 40's (so it was cheaper than the copies).

Archived