SASS Wire Forum

SASS/CAS discussion from another site

there are always those that want to take from you what you enjoy , they would squeal if you took what they like , but we are not that way , there are others that want what they do to be 'better' than what you do , but i think its all about doing whatever you like , good we dont all see alike it might get real crowded at a single venue , i do not see SASS fading off , there are always lots of shooters where i go , 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Charlie Whiskers said:

Gateway Kid,

We share our CAS range with a 3 gun club. (we have 10 bays and they use 2 normally, sometimes 3 (out to 200+ yards maybe 300...not sure). We've invited some of them to try CAS. At least one 3 gun shooters wife wants to go CAS shooting and let her hubby do 3 gun.

BTW...our CAS club President shoots 3 gun with them.

Ditto here, our facility is part of a group of ranges - long range service rifle, bench rest, IDPA/USPSA, cowboy long range, even a training facility for armed drivers and body guards.

We put on a regular 3 gun match and we also shoot cowboy 3 gun, both of which draw shooters from other disciplines.

We provide range use for other clubs during the winter who are not blessed with our mild weather (very little mud:) here compared to some other locations)

Some years ago when IDPA was just getting on its feet in this area, our local NRA CCW training group (mostly cowboy shooters including myself) used the training fees from our students to support them (IDPA) until they became self sufficient. We bought their targets, tape, stands, paid for toilets etc.

When USPSA came here the cowboys let them use our range and props in return for a donation to help pay for the port o potties ($1 per shooter as I recall)

Same for the Zoot shooters

I was NOT saying that the cowboys behaved in the manner that the posters on the other forum were claiming, rather I was reporting what those posters were passing off as true to those who might not have read all the posts on that other forum.

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

BTW I have never shot at any cowboy club anywhere that behaved in the manner being attributed to us on that other forum, rather I have met an exemplary group of people in CAS who are first in line to help anyone in any manner that they can.

One reason I never joined groups or clubs was to avoid the I'm special and you ain't trap. After avoiding "joining' all the those years my brother (Ripple) convinced me to go to a SASS Match. Well the people were great, down to earth, interested in visitors, practicing gun safety, and having fun. So to balance out my age, I brought my 10 year old Grandson along to the next match. He loved it. So our average age is 43 yo and we are the new face of SASS. His Alias is Hot Shot Hayden and his friends at school and kickboxing think it's a big deal. So there!

I agree that firearm owners regardless of the reason they own them shouldn’t criticize owners whose reasons are different.  We should encourage all owners to participate in a firearms competition that improves their skills.  Unfortunately there a too many who are narrow minded.  The gang on AR15.com are populated with many.  They are quick to label hunters who are 2A ignoramouses “Fudds”.  They laid Jim Zumbo a long time hunting writer low after Sandy Hook when he confirmed he was a Fudd by stating in his blog that AR’s have no legitimate use.  Whithin 48 hours he lost his Field & Stream gig & Remington sponsorship.  Many AR15.com members contacted both co’s to express their anger.  The kerfufel spread like the Camp fire.

People make a lot of assumptions in that discussion.  They assume a lot of things about SASS and about the other shooting sports they mention.  You can tell that many of them probably don't  compete in any of them. Some people suggest that they would like to compete in some kind of shooting competition, but instead put most of their effort into finding a reason not to do it. 

One comment that was funny was someone who said "If they really want to be authentic then they better be putting the hammer down on an empty chamber and loading only five rounds in their revolvers." As if he had some bit of knowledge and just knew that we aren't doing it right. Another wrong assumption.

You'd also think that only SASS shooters reload their own ammo by the comments on the other site.  Most of the people I know , mostly shooting handguns, in the other shooting sports also reload their ammo. Particularly the ones who shoot several matches a month.

12 hours ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Just finished the first 4 pages so made notes about what was wrong with CAS

1. Most don't want to wear appropriate cowboy clothing because it costs too much or in their opinion looks funny. :wacko: (of course NONE of them know what appropriate clothing is and as for myself what I wear to a match is pretty much what I wear to work). Besides I have never really cared for the NASCAR look of all my sponsors (where is that sarcasm emoji when you need it?) names written on my shirt, pants and hat.

2. Guns are too expensive and have no practical use other than cowboy. Saw one that had our revolvers at $1500, rifle at $1200, shotgun at $900 plus, leather at $1000 = $4600. If you were a upper echelon shooter in contention for overall and they all were top of the line firearms the prices would be in the ballpark, of course to get a top of the line AR you would be at about $3500 to $4000 for a scoped, full tactical race gun, $2300 plus for a tactical handgun after modifications for accuracy, reliability and reloadability, and another $1300 for a 10 round plus tactical shotgun so who is the expensive sport? and what utility would all those guns have in a real life situation since they are not particularly concealable in public? (saw that comment from one poster about our stuff)

3. CAS shooters take over any club they show up at and drive other disciplines away until range management kicks the cowboys out. (and their political viewpoints):unsure: CAS shooters throw other disciplines "under the bus" because the only guns they like are old fashioned and we have no use for modern design/manufacture firearms. My wife was surprised by this and checked the safe to be sure I only had old timey guns and noted that there are more than a few modern firearms in there. Who knew that CAS shooters would/could participate in other disciplines?

4. Mouse fart loads that are underpowered and dangerous. Why one poster attended two separate matches and saw a squib at both of them. Not good I know but it has been a long time since I have seen the truly minimal loads used and the better shooters that I participate with do not use them (and I never have) in any case. Why some shooters have been known to use shorter than Schofield cases (C45S) to get their loads to less than 38 special ballistics. Anybody ever seen the IPSC shooters trying to stay in major with a minimal load? BANG, BANG, pop, BANG with two bullets on top of one another in the target as they shoot out their squib. Guess that doesn't count.

5. Cannot use all "period correct" firearms? Some wanted to use their 45-70 in a main match:blink:, others said they had original spencers that were deemed illegal. Don't know about that one but even a lead bullet from a trap door would be a serious danger to both the target and the competitor at SASS recommended ranges.

6. Too many rules. Maybe so, I know several on this forum think so, however others (The ROC and its spokesperson PWB) do their best to keep things on an even keel so that the rules are fair to all. Since not all disciplines directly match up in their presentation using a simple page count SASS SHB - 50 pages,  SASS WB - 33 pages. IDPA Rules manual - 41 pages (plus 3 more for PCC, 2 for optics and 1 listing current changes) IPSC Handgun - 75 pages, rifle - 66 pages, shotgun - 75 pages. 3 Gun Nation 28 pages. All seem to be in line with each other but knowing all the rules for all groups would be a big task to take in and keep straight.

My only conclusion from all the posts I read was that there is a lot of misinformation and outright lack of knowledge about other shooting sports that many do not participate directly in.

Regards

Gateway Kid

Based on some of the comments I read it appears the anti 2nd amendment folks really will not have to work very hard to destroy our freedoms given that the pro constitutionalists are already back biting and infighting amongst ourselves.

Howdy Gateway! 

Couldn't agree more with your final statement! I've seen these attitudes from individuals and it makes you wonder how someone can tear down another shooting sport. 

The statement that stuck out to me was the one about money awards?!?! 

CBG

Starting in 2008 I did 3 gun for three years before I found CAS. I'm not going to bash the shooting sport because the shooting part was fun. However I never met such a self absorbed bunch of shooters in my life. All that mattered was their score placement. If you were not in their "skill class" as a shooter their noses couldn't get any higher toward you, and if you were a new shooter forget getting any help or tips from them cause you might become better than them. Nope....I'll take hanging around and shooting with cowboy action shooters any day to 3 gunners.

Let me preface my comments with I have never shot any other type of competitive shooting other then CAS. 

When I have watched on YouTube some of these other shooting disciplines many of them give out pretty significant prizes to the top shooters in each category. Many of them are winning $1000 scopes or hefty gift cards to sponsors websites. In the instant gratification culture that we live in maybe that is what they want. 

Please don't  misinterpret i don't think that SASS should change it's rules to begin awarding winners additional "swag." I love the raffals and door prizes. I think that is great. 

However it could be an underlying symptom of why some people don't come to SASS. They think what is in it for me? Gone are the days of individuals simply enjoying a beautiful day on the range with some good pards and some healthy competition. 

I like all shooting sports and disciplines and would never denigrate any of them. Why? What's the purpose of that? A waste of time and energy is what that behavior really is.

I love the fast paced AR stuff and it has its place. I just prefer playing cowboy.

Too many folks are too apt to crap on other folks these days for the most mind numbing reasons anymore. :wacko: Especially behind the safety and anonymity of a keyboard and screen in their parents' basement. ;)

If I had more TIME I'd be active in more of the other shooting venues. Having what? Oh yeah, more fun.

I read through all the posts on the OP's thread link. Too much misinformation and hatred to even begin to try and win hearts and minds there. I'll save that effort for in person. I have to wonder too just how many of the posters on that arfcom site actually read all the other posts before responding. 1% maybe?

1 minute ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Sometimes......

It is a good thing......

To see ourselves as others see us.....

Agreed, but how do we address all the negative. And there IS a lot of negative out there for whatever reason.

Gun club about 45 minutes away lost its lease 2 years ago. They bought land 10-15 minutes away and started a new club and are building a new range. Most of the old members decided not to come back and it really is a new club. I joined as a charter member and went to Orientation about a month ago. When I mentioned I was a cowboy action shooter you'd have thought I kicked them in the family jewels, so I dropped it and probably won't mention it again for a while. Although, when the pistol bays are finished I'll certainly go practice wearing basic cowboy outfits and just see if I can draw any interest from other members.

I read through all 8 or more pages.  Dressing up seems to be a big problem.  Though ball caps with shorts and logos all over a shirt seem like dressing up to me as well but I digress. 

Second, yes, you have to buy special guns.  If you are a IPDA or 3 gun shooter you can probably use your pistol in multiple venues.  Funny thing is I have quite a few Cowboy guns but also some modern stuff as well.  I just like the older stuff better.

Not sure about the crap about you can't shoot a 45-70.  Duh!  My local 3 gun won't let you use anything above 223 or a PCC.  That was a spurious argument.

Bottom line is AR forum is mostly people interested mostly in tacticool and I really wonder other than a day at the range blowing off three magazines as fast as possible how many really participate in 3 gun or IPDA or IPSC or 2 gun? 

SASS is suffering like other older institutions (my dad was a mason and model railroader) of people getting older and many of the younger folks most into their VR headsets and gaming stuff.  Things change.  I have tried it, alright but not my cup of tea and vice versa.

I go to SASS match and I can guess the average age is in the sixties.  I go to 3 gun and the average age is probably mid thirties or so.  Most younger people as pointed out elsewhere are more exposed to the modern stuff. 

Then there is the perception of guns these days.  I do not want to start a political argument, but the fact is that many younger people especially in urban areas are brought up to dislike guns or associate them with gang violence.   That is going to affect all of us. 

I cannot imagine trying to do 3 gun in NY or CA.  Ten round magazine change (might as well use a lever at that point) and in CA I believe they have forced a sort of fixed magazine, no more bullet button. 

As pointed out, gun ranges have shut down, or have been forced to move.  My absolute bottom line to anyone who loves shooting sports of any kind is to quote that genius Benjamin Franklin:  "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Most of us, when we were kids, we played cowboys and Indians.  My hero's have always been cowboys.  I never remember playing Rambo and the VC.   A while back I watched an event on a sports channel where 3 gun shooters used cowboy gun to compete.....they were a sorry sight.   When the cowboy shooters switched to using 3 gun firearms, they all shot well, beating the 3 gun shooters soundly..........I loved that.    Our sport is a fun game and dressing up is part of it.   Some shooters in all shooting sports take it too seriously, relax dress the part and have fun.

I will say, of all the people i've tried to get to come shoot with me, the biggest barrier is the idea that they have to dress "like a cowboy". Most people assume it means dressing like they are heading to a rodeo and its hard to convince them otherwise.

The second thing is of course the cost of guns  which even on the low end will probably run people 1800-2K.

Part of the problem is it's just two different mindsets.    Sass let's everybody participate and sets stages so everybody can compete.  From 5 to 100.

id say roughly 70 percent of sass shooters wouldn't cut it in 3 gun.  Not a slam or diss on anybody. It's just different. 3 gun is more focused. While anybody can do it, you better be agile, able to hit small targets and of sound mind if you plan on being mid pack or better. Planning the fastest way to attack a stage it totally different . You have no instructions on how to do it.  Like Nevada sweep or whatever.

17 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Trap shooters are the worst in this aspect...BTDT

OLG

Q: What do you call a 75 year old Trap shooter?

A: Young whippersnapper.

There will always be those that don't like the outfits or the idea of dress up - they will never do sass. That's OK - it's not for everyone.

But I think there is a barrier to entry based on equipment, and it would be good to encourage new shooters to participate even if they don't have all the guns. When I started there were lots of friendly folks offering to let me borrow guns and ammo, but I would have felt easier about it if I could just skip shooting what I didn't have, and I didn't think to ask permission for that.

I think it would be good to have an open category at clubs that's "shoot what you have" or "shoot what want to shoot" (this doesn't need to be an official category). If they only want to shoot two pistols and not mess with the rifle and shotgun - let them do it. If they only have one pistol and a rifle - let them shoot that - whatever they have, if it's sass legal, shoot it. Let them warm up to sass and ease into it, or let them keep it simple if they don't want to mess with 4 guns.

Let them mix and match .22 cal if that's what they have. Seems like lots of people that never had any intention of cowboy shooting have .22 cal henrys, bear cats, and rough riders kicking around that they could make use of.

Just encourage new shooters to participate with whatever they have. I think that would go a long way toward attracting and keeping new members.

45 minutes ago, Gunlow said:

There will always be those that don't like the outfits or the idea of dress up - they will never do sass. That's OK - it's not for everyone.

But I think there is a barrier to entry based on equipment, and it would be good to encourage new shooters to participate even if they don't have all the guns. When I started there were lots of friendly folks offering to let me borrow guns and ammo, but I would have felt easier about it if I could just skip shooting what I didn't have, and I didn't think to ask permission for that.

I think it would be good to have an open category at clubs that's "shoot what you have" or "shoot what want to shoot" (this doesn't need to be an official category). If they only want to shoot two pistols and not mess with the rifle and shotgun - let them do it. If they only have one pistol and a rifle - let them shoot that - whatever they have, if it's sass legal, shoot it. Let them warm up to sass and ease into it, or let them keep it simple if they don't want to mess with 4 guns.

Let them mix and match .22 cal if that's what they have. Seems like lots of people that never had any intention of cowboy shooting have .22 cal henrys, bear cats, and rough riders kicking around that they could make use of.

Just encourage new shooters to participate with whatever they have. I think that would go a long way toward attracting and keeping new members.

I like thinking out of the box... and I am all in favor of growing CAS.

But these ideas have been put forward many times in the past and the newbies who tried SASS under these concepts have very rarely stuck for any length of time.

Clubs that tried changing the rules to attract new shooters typically do not try them for more than a little while as those who come to the game tend to then want to change the game to be more "friendly" to their minimal standards (meaning they don't even attempt to comply with SASS rules) and never actually embrace SASS at all. End result (most often) when clubs tell them the loosening of the rules is temporary, seems to be those who try SASS under these circumstances go away disgruntled because the game won't be changed to what they want and then you have a new member on the AR forum who badmouths CAS.

As far as not using other peoples guns because one is uncomfortable with their offer to do exactly that? I have never been to a match where someone has been turned away because they did not have the requisite equipment. I have loaned guns, ammo and leather many times to newbies (and my competition) as have many others. On the other hand go to another disciplines match and ask a top competitor to let you try his firearm to shoot against him/her and see how far you get. I used to shoot IPSC and simply asking someone for load info was like asking for the keys to Fort Knox! Like any endeavor, CAS has rules that make the sport what it is and to water down the rules for a minimal short term gain in members does not seem to be a solid business strategy. In the long run it is akin to the NFL requiring at least one wide receiver per team be an overweight, 60+ slow guy because he has dreams of playing the game and it is unreasonable to require he be able to run the 40 in 4.3 seconds or bench press twice his own weight. It seems to me that the overall quality of the sport would be diminished.

But if you have an opportunity at your club to make the case for your ideas GO FOR IT!!!! Then keep track of the results and report back to the Wire. Most great ideas take at least one person to personally push that idea to completion and maybe that person is you.

Best of luck

Regards

Gateway Kid

I was horrified but not surprised by the crude  comments and obvious misogyny.  It tallies with my unhappy attempts to try some other shooting sports before I found SASS.  The men in SASS are very welcoming, helpful and respectful to the ladies.   I don't want to shoot with people like the ones on that chat board, it would just be another unhappy experience.  Don't you cowboys fret none, keep doing what you do!

Let's say you have a prospective new SASS shooter who has one single action revolver and an appropriate pistol caliber rifle. He doesn't feel comfortable borrowing guns that likely would be offered. Is there something preventing him from shooting a match, being timed and just taking the 2nd revolver and shotgun misses? It doesn't seem that difficult to figure out. I don't think that clubs are telling someone they won't let them do this, maybe they are. 

Then someone could decide if they like cowboy shooting and get the rest of the equipment.  You couldn't really have seperate categories anyway with some showing up at first with no rifle or another with no shotgun etc.

Those that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Everybody enjoys doing something that someone else would consider goofy or nerdy, I figure happiness is just finding a group of people who enjoy the same dorky thing as you.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Official-Zombie-Weapon-Pic-Thread/158-817807/

49 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Let's say you have a prospective new SASS shooter who has one single action revolver and an appropriate pistol caliber rifle. He doesn't feel comfortable borrowing guns that likely would be offered. Is there something preventing him from shooting a match, being timed and just taking the 2nd revolver and shotgun misses? It doesn't seem that difficult to figure out. I don't think that clubs are telling someone they won't let them do this, maybe they are. 

Then someone could decide if they like cowboy shooting and get the rest of the equipment.  You couldn't really have seperate categories anyway with some showing up at first with no rifle or another with no shotgun etc.

I like your idea of just counting them as misses. The new shooter probably wouldn't know to ask, but if it was mentioned as an option I think that would help.

Well we need to be honest - for those that do not know, ARFCOM GD (general discussion) are the basement dwellers of the site and can be brutal.

I tried to straighten some of the notions out as I came across them.

And I just posted my take  on the question asked.

My post is towards the bottom of page 8 where I explain some of the reasons why I don't shoot CAS anymore and why I think it is dying.

Allie Mo I was caught off guard seeing you over there.  Always good to see a friendly face.

Unfortunately I think cost is a major factor in recruiting younger new shooter's.  Iv'e seen people come to our local monthly matches to check it out , once they see all the guns , carts and gear the dollar signs start adding up in their head's and you never see them again.  One of them is a good friend of mine and that's the only thing he could say, I can understand , there was a time i felt the same way it can be overwhelming.  Especially if you are still raising kid's and don't have alot of disposable income. 

On 12/4/2018 at 5:18 PM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I registered on that forum and told them what I think of their negative comments about another shooting sport!

I agree with your thought process.  I have always felt that, especially in today's anti-gun society, it's important for all the shooting disciplines to support each other.  Each one is different.  Some shooters might find one and stick with it forever, while others may enjoy shooting by trying as many different ones as they can.  I found SASS.  I love it.  I will stay here.  That does not mean that I don't see why some are attracted to other disciplines.  The 3 gun tactical is fun to watch.  However, I can't physically maneuver those courses and therefore limit my enjoyment to watching and admiring those that can. 

Brand spankin new to CAS and read through some of the other posts on the AR site.  Most was petty BS imo but there was some truth sprinkled in.  Some hurdles for me as a newbie...

Age and exposure to westerns - I love westerns.  Watched shows like Bonanza, Gun Smoke and Big Valley with my grandpa as a kid and loved good ol 50's style Audie Murphy movies and spaghetti westerns in my 20's.  I'd get hooked on anything western.  My boy (23) thinks this looks fun too but I raised him on a steady diet of westerns.  His friends would be a harder sell.  They don't have the nostalgia for them that my boy or I have.  For similar money (see below) they can get a "cool" AR and maybe a nice Glock that reminds them of Call of Duty (shooter video game).  There is a new hit game called Red Dead Redemption 2 that takes place in the old west.  Maybe this will get Millennials interested.  It's a great game and a place where I have a beautiful horse and can afford 2 schofields, a springfield, a 73ish rifle and a bunch of other stuff haha. 

Costume - This took me a bit to get over.  I love westerns but I've never been a dress up guy and wasn't sure what to make of it.  Now that I've had time to digest the costume idea...  I wouldn't change it.  I think it would be less cool.  It fits the theme and the nostalgia which is kinda the point isn't it?

Hardware - Since my last name ain't Rockefeller, this is a bigger deal.  $1300 for pistols, $1100 for rifle, $300 ish for a side by side or $500 for a 97.  Just shy of $3000 for the guns alone.  Hoping I can shrink that some with used gear but it won't be by much from what I've seen so far.  Then there's leather and min costuming, a cart, member fees, range fees, and ammo...  It's a sizable investment for someone starting.  It's doable for me these days but not without some sting and hesitation.  In my 20's or even 30's, it's be just too much to lure me in.  I'd want to but would never have been able to afford it.

Last one is just me personally...  Selecting gear.  There is a lot to learn to make an informed purchase.  A task tough enough without OCD...  Ask me what I plan to get today and it'll be completely different tomorrow haha.

None of these are enough to deter me so far so you'll gain one more among your ranks at least. 

Looking forward to freeing my inner Josey Wales!

Welcome @Half Deaf Hoss Deveraux - just don't be in a big hurry to get everything. You'll probably get the best deals here on on the wire classified if you're patient. Even try a WTB (want to buy) post for what you're looking for and you might find it faster. Start going to matches and meeting folks and trying things before you spend $$$ - lots of friendly folks will help you out I'm sure. If you live anywhere near Pasco WA I'd meet you at the range and let you try mine.

you raise some good points Half Deaf Hoss Deveraux. Sure hope to meet you some day at a shoot and have some fun together! Hope your boy enjoys it too. Where are you located?

I read the comments about dressing up........go to any USPSA match and tell me that they aren't all dressed up in their 511 pants, shirts, ball caps and all look about the same.

Equipment....none of the shooting sports are cheap.....we use three different firearms.....so don't the 3 gunners, all USPSA competitors "I" know have at least one back up and usually several.....ever price a top  end shotgun for trap/skeet? Makes our expenditures seem paltry.

My point to all of this is simply all of the shooting sports need to support each other and stop the penny ante crap that is very easily used to divide and conquer

Bugler

PS. When it is no longer fun.....it is ALL for sale! So far, I am still having a LOT of fun on anything that has a trigger and goes boom.

End of rant....carry on.

53 minutes ago, Half Deaf Hoss Deveraux said:

Brand spankin new to CAS and read through some of the other posts on the AR site.  Most was petty BS imo but there was some truth sprinkled in.  Some hurdles for me as a newbie...

Age and exposure to westerns - I love westerns.  Watched shows like Bonanza, Gun Smoke and Big Valley with my grandpa as a kid and loved good ol 50's style Audie Murphy movies and spaghetti westerns in my 20's.  I'd get hooked on anything western.  My boy (23) thinks this looks fun too but I raised him on a steady diet of westerns.  His friends would be a harder sell.  They don't have the nostalgia for them that my boy or I have.  For similar money (see below) they can get a "cool" AR and maybe a nice Glock that reminds them of Call of Duty (shooter video game).  There is a new hit game called Red Dead Redemption 2 that takes place in the old west.  Maybe this will get Millennials interested.  It's a great game and a place where I have a beautiful horse and can afford 2 schofields, a springfield, a 73ish rifle and a bunch of other stuff haha. 

Costume - This took me a bit to get over.  I love westerns but I've never been a dress up guy and wasn't sure what to make of it.  Now that I've had time to digest the costume idea...  I wouldn't change it.  I think it would be less cool.  It fits the theme and the nostalgia which is kinda the point isn't it?

Hardware - Since my last name ain't Rockefeller, this is a bigger deal.  $1300 for pistols, $1100 for rifle, $300 ish for a side by side or $500 for a 97.  Just shy of $3000 for the guns alone.  Hoping I can shrink that some with used gear but it won't be by much from what I've seen so far.  Then there's leather and min costuming, a cart, member fees, range fees, and ammo...  It's a sizable investment for someone starting.  It's doable for me these days but not without some sting and hesitation.  In my 20's or even 30's, it's be just too much to lure me in.  I'd want to but would never have been able to afford it.

Last one is just me personally...  Selecting gear.  There is a lot to learn to make an informed purchase.  A task tough enough without OCD...  Ask me what I plan to get today and it'll be completely different tomorrow haha.

None of these are enough to deter me so far so you'll gain one more among your ranks at least. 

Looking forward to freeing my inner Josey Wales!

Welcome! B)

Don't buy anydangthing in hardware, till you have done a live-fire with it.

Get to some shoots, bet you'll find good deals on used gear.

What's your AO?

Do you reload?-Ya kinda got to for any of the gun games.

OLG

I read through every word of that thread on the other site. Seems like a lot of the same things they worry about in CAS are going on in their own sport. 

As that perspective new shooter, here's my take. I have yet to shoot a match, but I am very enthusiastic about doing so. The "costume" as everyone is calling it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I don't see that as a problem or reason to not participate. It's part of the fun. It makes you do a little research and learn a little history in the process. And the cost is negligible if you go about it right. Heck, I already put my clothing together for $40 by buying it used from someone here in the classifieds. 

The cost of equipment is a factor but it's doable if you REALLY want to get involved. Anything you decide to do as a hobby or for entertainment costs money. Most hobbies require some sort of initial outlay of cash. Whether it's some kind of shooting sport, baseball, model railroading or anything else. There's an outlay of cash. Now I'm not rich, I'm not even well off. I'm your average guy, and I'm figuring out how to make it work. Do a little trading. Sell off some other stuff. Where there's a will, there's a way. But like I said in the beginning, you have to REALLY want to do it. If you do, you'll make it happen.

Now on to the most important part, the people. Like I said, I'm new to this game. I'm not new to shooting at all, just to CAS. I've been an FFL, had my own gun business, shot A LOT of different guns in my life and been around a lot of gun people. And I will honestly say, the people of CAS/SASS are THE NICEST and most giving people I have ever met. Period. Everyone is quick to help and NEVER disparaging. It has me in awe really. So if anyone is having a hard time with the people around here, they must be trying really hard to make it that way. 

Archived