SASS Wire Forum

SASS/CAS discussion from another site

Team,

Been following the following site and their discussion on CAS/CASS.  Interested in seeing viewpoints here.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/s-o-Why-has-Cowboy-Action-Shooting-lost-so-much-popularity-in-the-U-S--Poll-added-/5-2171506/?page=1

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting viewpoints?
I only read the first page, but most of the comments (from "outsiders") seem to be extremely derogatory regarding the very basics of Cowboy Action Shooting.

:angry:

Id have to agree with PaleWolf...although I have a negative view of 300 pound tacti-fools playing swat, I would not deny them their right to it.

1 minute ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Interesting viewpoints?
I only read the first page, but most of the comments (from "outsiders") seem to be extremely derogatory regarding the very basics of Cowboy Action Shooting.

:angry:

Yep, Pretty predictable responses from a group of folks on an AR-15 message board.  Nothing against any of them or their choice of fun.  It's a different sort of fun than CAS.  They just don't understand the CAS fun.  I'll leave it to anti-gun types to try to tell all of us that our fun is wrong.

Angus

I agree with Pale Wolf also. Sounds pretty derogatory.

Jax T

I like it like it is.

I've talked to guys who don't like the "Halloween Costumes" but they love the hardware! I tried to tell them you don't need to get crazy with the outfit. Heck we don't even need to wear a hat!:o

They're just jealous cause we're havin' fun!!;)

Respect is severely lacking on that website. 

1 minute ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I thought it was all my fault that interest in SASS or at least the Forums was waning. At least, is what I've been told.

Rumors, rumors.:wub:

Something to keep in mind about that site, in the worlds of High Power and serious 3-gun tactical competition it is referred to as barf.com (from their shorthand of calling themselves arf.com) because it's mostly tacticool wannabes regurgitating garbage. It is the Jerry Springer Show of gun related websites.

1 minute ago, Ron "Ironhead" Smith said:

Something to keep in mind about that site, in the worlds of High Power and serious 3-gun tactical competition it is referred to as barf.com (from their shorthand of calling themselves arf.com) because it's mostly tacticool wannabes regurgitating garbage. It is the Jerry Springer Show of gun related websites.

And most of them live in their parent's basement. ;)

1 minute ago, Shooting Bull said:

And most of them live in their parent's basement. ;)

Well, according to the SASS Alias look up...

No matches found for mall ninja

2 hours ago, The Aggie Rifleman, SASS#55213 said:

Team,

Been following the following site and their discussion on CAS/CASS.  Interested in seeing viewpoints here.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/s-o-Why-has-Cowboy-Action-Shooting-lost-so-much-popularity-in-the-U-S--Poll-added-/5-2171506/?page=1

The popularity is still there for the over the diaper age crowd (depends don't count <_<). One reason it's waning is ...think about it ...AGE. I don't have the numbers, but I think the majority of US CAS shooters are getting older; late 50's -mid 60's and up. Younger people can't grasp that happening, but it does creep up on all us if we're lucky enough to live that long.

We'd rather be shooting and doing what we like above talk about what we like to do. We'd rather be shooting while we still can than sit in front of a computer like the other forums.

But that's my opinion. But I'm not a Black gun fan. Had one....shot it very little....sold it and bought another 1873.

Loved this reply over there...

" I have no interest in it because I don’t want to dress up like a cowboy. I’m Asian. I have my dignity. There were no Asian cowboys in the old West and I’m not going to pretend there ever was. "

Obviously not up to speed on SASS history...

2 minutes ago, Shotgun Clay said:

Loved this reply over there...

" I have no interest in it because I don’t want to dress up like a cowboy. I’m Asian. I have my dignity. There were no Asian cowboys in the old West and I’m not going to pretend there ever was. "

Obviously not up to speed on SASS history...

Yeah,  sooooo desperately wanted to tell him about China Camp.  It would have been a waste of time.

Just finished the first 4 pages so made notes about what was wrong with CAS

1. Most don't want to wear appropriate cowboy clothing because it costs too much or in their opinion looks funny. :wacko: (of course NONE of them know what appropriate clothing is and as for myself what I wear to a match is pretty much what I wear to work). Besides I have never really cared for the NASCAR look of all my sponsors (where is that sarcasm emoji when you need it?) names written on my shirt, pants and hat.

2. Guns are too expensive and have no practical use other than cowboy. Saw one that had our revolvers at $1500, rifle at $1200, shotgun at $900 plus, leather at $1000 = $4600. If you were a upper echelon shooter in contention for overall and they all were top of the line firearms the prices would be in the ballpark, of course to get a top of the line AR you would be at about $3500 to $4000 for a scoped, full tactical race gun, $2300 plus for a tactical handgun after modifications for accuracy, reliability and reloadability, and another $1300 for a 10 round plus tactical shotgun so who is the expensive sport? and what utility would all those guns have in a real life situation since they are not particularly concealable in public? (saw that comment from one poster about our stuff)

3. CAS shooters take over any club they show up at and drive other disciplines away until range management kicks the cowboys out. (and their political viewpoints):unsure: CAS shooters throw other disciplines "under the bus" because the only guns they like are old fashioned and we have no use for modern design/manufacture firearms. My wife was surprised by this and checked the safe to be sure I only had old timey guns and noted that there are more than a few modern firearms in there. Who knew that CAS shooters would/could participate in other disciplines?

4. Mouse fart loads that are underpowered and dangerous. Why one poster attended two separate matches and saw a squib at both of them. Not good I know but it has been a long time since I have seen the truly minimal loads used and the better shooters that I participate with do not use them (and I never have) in any case. Why some shooters have been known to use shorter than Schofield cases (C45S) to get their loads to less than 38 special ballistics. Anybody ever seen the IPSC shooters trying to stay in major with a minimal load? BANG, BANG, pop, BANG with two bullets on top of one another in the target as they shoot out their squib. Guess that doesn't count.

5. Cannot use all "period correct" firearms? Some wanted to use their 45-70 in a main match:blink:, others said they had original spencers that were deemed illegal. Don't know about that one but even a lead bullet from a trap door would be a serious danger to both the target and the competitor at SASS recommended ranges.

6. Too many rules. Maybe so, I know several on this forum think so, however others (The ROC and its spokesperson PWB) do their best to keep things on an even keel so that the rules are fair to all. Since not all disciplines directly match up in their presentation using a simple page count SASS SHB - 50 pages,  SASS WB - 33 pages. IDPA Rules manual - 41 pages (plus 3 more for PCC, 2 for optics and 1 listing current changes) IPSC Handgun - 75 pages, rifle - 66 pages, shotgun - 75 pages. 3 Gun Nation 28 pages. All seem to be in line with each other but knowing all the rules for all groups would be a big task to take in and keep straight.

My only conclusion from all the posts I read was that there is a lot of misinformation and outright lack of knowledge about other shooting sports that many do not participate directly in.

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Based on some of the comments I read it appears the anti 2nd amendment folks really will not have to work very hard to destroy our freedoms given that the pro constitutionalists are already back biting and infighting amongst ourselves.

46 minutes ago, Ron "Ironhead" Smith said:

That's a fact, and has been such for a long time.

They ain't worth the trouble:excl:

OLG

4 minutes ago, July Smith said:

Might be a fun forum to go join just to troll.

I wouldn't do that.  There are professional trolls there who live on attacking anything and everything in defense of their mom's basement and TAPCO.  Trolling would only get the wire severe blowback and lots of work for the mods here.

Gateway Kid,

We share our CAS range with a 3 gun club. (we have 10 bays and they use 2 normally, sometimes 3 (out to 200+ yards maybe 300...not sure). We've invited some of them to try CAS. At least one 3 gun shooters wife wants to go CAS shooting and let her hubby do 3 gun.

BTW...our CAS club President shoots 3 gun with them.

31 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

others said they had original spencers that were deemed illegal

The Spencer pump shotgun and the Winchester 1893 (ditto the Marlin 1898) are too weak for modern ammo and the rigors of cowboy shooting.  The one's  I see at the local gun store (which has a large number of older guns) are clearly marked "Not a Shooter".

I read it all unfortunately.   A lot of false info, also more truth than a lot of sass members want to admit. 

I shoot both 3 gun and sass. They are different worlds.  Both have great people and not so great people.  

Both have their strengths and weaknesses.   3 gun  you definitely have to be a better shooter.   Sass you have to be much more efficient with movement. 

My favorite is when we compete between the groups and a 30 year old 3 gun wannabe gets spanked by someone twice their age with single action guns.

1 hour ago, Ron "Ironhead" Smith said:

Exactly!  I quit visiting that site many years ago.

It's a sad commentary on the biggest flaw in the shooting community. The fragmentation gets almost vicious. The various segments decry the ir fellow shooters because the are using different firearms, shooting scenarii, etc. Trap lovers don;t care for skeet competitors and despise pistol shooters. The rifle crowd is also segmented into lever, semi auto, Buffalo, BP, etc.

That leaves us prey to the antis.

I thought maybe I was a member, so I tried a couple usernames & passwords and found out I was - turns out I joined in February of 2001, and just made my first post there. :lol:

I made myself endure all 8 pages. It makes the "Jerry Springer Show" look like an intellectual exchange of opinions.

J-Bar and Allie Mo made very thorough, well-written comments. You did far better than I would.

There are some shooting disciplines that I don't care to participate in, for a variety of reasons. But I don't slam them on an internet forum. Or at all. If you are a shooter we have a common interest. Too many anti-gun folks getting sworn in soon. We need each other.

There were relentless attacks about most of us being old, retired, one foot in the grave, etc.

But I bet those old, retired folks write most of the letters to public officials, respond to NRA legislative alerts, and show up at state capitals to fight for Second Amendment rights.

For EVERYONE.

4 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I thought it was all my fault that interest in SASS or at least the Forums was waning. At least, is what I've been told.

Pretty women in our sport helps immensely!!!!!:wub:

4 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I registered on that forum and told them what I think of their negative comments about another shooting sport!

Allie Mo, you’ve got a set of big brass ones and I think that’s what I love most about you, well maybe not but you know what I mean.

Archived