SASS Wire Forum

review of Traditions Deerstalker

Trigger Mike

Traditions makes a Deerstalker rifle and sometimes includes a redipack.  it is a .50 caliber flintlock with synthetic stock .  How reliable is it?  Accurate?  I want a reliable primitive weapon to hunt with during primitive weapons season.  this sells for 375 while a pedersoli goes for around 600

Just now, Michigan Slim said:

A flinter with a synthetic stock...…… Why does seem to me to be such a contradiction? 

Yeah the modernized front stuffers kinda give me pause.

If you’re doing Rev War reenacting get a flintlock. 

If you want reliability in a muzzle loading hunting rifle, I recommend a percussion rather than a flint.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/blast-from-past-jeremiah-johnsons-hawken

I have been using a Flint lock rifle for hunting for over thirty years. If you can learn to shoot a FL you can shoot anything. Learn to shoot without flinching, follow through is a must. I have usually brought my deer down with one shot, only missed a few in all that time. There was onetime a tree stepped in the way and got a beautiful 50 cal. hole in its trunk dead center for it's trouble.

The only guns I have had trouble with ignition with have been percussion. The caps tend to draw moisture worse than black powder, in my opinion. Also the caps are difficult to handle in cold damp weather and impossible to find if dropped in the leaves or grass.

A priming device for FL are larger to handle, and much easier to find if you happen to drop it. I  usually carry it in my shirt pocket with a short starter tied to it.

Also a FL can be primed with it's main charge type powder in a pinch, I usually use a finer powder for the pan. But have never had trouble igniting the 3F that I use as a main charge.

Now substitute black powder can be a whole different story I'm told. I prefer real black, never trusted fake black.

Footloose  

Archived