SASS Wire Forum

WINCHESTER Discontinuing 1873 MY Mistake My APLOLOGY Extended

Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461

I guess the confusion was solely on my part

someone forwarded this from the wire to me

The email goes on to say that all production has stopped as of yyesterday, and that once current stock has been sold, that will be the end of it. They encourage anyone that has one of the rifles to get all the parts that they can. This is from the only after market producer that I am aware of. It is NOT something that I just pulled out of the air... as far as I am concerned, it is relevant right now if you have or plan on buying one of the Winchesters for use as a match rifle. Ain't nothing wrong with getting one... just don't expect to have a lot of parts available

the post was in reference to PGW discontinuing their line of parts for them I read  it  to mean Winchester was stopping production.........

I mistook what I read I guess....  or I read it wrong ....or I don't know what the heck I read

senior moment.... that's my excuse in any event!!!

I do apologize!!

my thanks in advance

I hope that's incorrect......

They just released the '73 Carbine version earlier this year and I got one of the First Ones.

I've been hoping they would release a '66 Carbine next.

From what I've seen over the past few years seems to be that about every year or so

they drop one version from the Line and add another to replace it.

I hope that continues.

Heard it thru the grapvine, but not confirmed. Your the second person I heard say that though. I recently picked up a Uberti 1866 they had Winchester’s there,  but this rumor combined with more aftermarket parts for the Uberti made my decision to go Uberti easier. Not to mention the Uberti was a smoking factory demo deal.  After all new Winchester’s aren’t real Winchester’s in my opinion anyways. 

27 minutes ago, County Jr said:

Heard it thru the grapvine, but not confirmed. Your the second person I heard say that though. I recently picked up a Uberti 1866 they had Winchester’s there,  but this rumor combined with more aftermarket parts for the Uberti made my decision to go Uberti easier. Not to mention the Uberti was a smoking factory demo deal.  After all new Winchester’s aren’t real Winchester’s in my opinion anyways. 

Our choice is either an Italian copy or a Japanese copy. I'll stick with the Italians!!

( I am 100% Italian):rolleyes::lol:

Did someone hear this rumor in a gun shop?   If so, remember 98% of the S!@#$ you hear in a gun shop is pure BS from unknowing non-experts. :o

Good luck, GJ

Pioneer Gun Works is discontinuing making Winchester after market parts. Is it possible that this announcement was misunderstood and a rumor started about Winchester discontinuing their 66's & 73's?

Tully

The release and the reaction of the Winchester branded 73' has been frustrating to watch. A company releases a gun that actually fills the bill for our shooting game and it has been treated like a red headed step child from day one. Shooters and even some gunsmiths that have very limited or even zero experience with the rifle chime in on a daily basis with negativity. Granted it's human nature. Who likes a product that is better for less money after all? The FACT is for $1100 or less you (a new shooter especially) can buy a rifle and literally take it out the grease filled wrapper, wipe that nasty stuff off and go to shooting and NOT be hobbled by poor fitting parts and all around rough action. I've decided I'm going to put my money where my mouth is. I've just ordered a brand new Winchester 1873 short rifle in .357. It's going to stay sealed in the box till the next monthly match and I will open it on the line and shoot the full match with it and give a full review and report and video everything from the box to the match. I'd love to see a $500-$800 price point on a new rifle for our game, but those days are long long gone. Shooters pay $500-$800 polymer framed pistols all day long and think nothing of it. So the market has to be put into perspective. 

I love my Winchester ‘73. 

B3E152D2-7D1B-4F86-8615-F2717947D8A3.jpeg

18 hours ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

I hope that's incorrect......

They just released the '73 Carbine version earlier this year and I got one of the First Ones.

I've been hoping they would release a '66 Carbine next.

From what I've seen over the past few years seems to be that about every year or so

they drop one version from the Line and add another to replace it.

I hope that continues.

Me too! I love my Winchester 73 so much, I really want a carbine next. I almost bought a 73 carbine, but I am holding out for the 66. Here's hoping they do that one next

29 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Thanks Tyrel ... I got that email from Pioneer Gun Works about them discontinuing their Winchester parts. I was referring to the "original" post that indicated the rifle itself was going away and I see Dutch has revised that.

Deuce,

Let me know when your going to shoot the factory rifle.

If it’s a weekend-club I can get to,  I’ll Come video for you & shoot the match.

I hear that Carty is going to start on my new Winchester in January

3GC

Your profile still says you have an excellent community reputation.  I guess all is forgiven.  Let's load some ammo and go shoot.

Archived