SASS Wire Forum

Colt SAA recall

The Original Lumpy Gritz

On 12/3/2018 at 5:12 PM, Shotgun Clay said:

You'd think with 145 years of practice they'd have this model figured out.

Some of those 145 year old employees retired the past couple years..... :D

..........Widder

2 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Some of those 145 year old employees retired the past couple years..... :D

..........Widder

Wonder if they still vote? :huh: ............................ :lol:

OLG

On Wednesday, January 09, 2019 at 11:27 AM, Hayes Cooper said:

I actually bought a 2018 SAA and never received it because the seller had to send back to colt due to the cracked frame recall, they have it listed on their website, 2 months and I am out $2400 and no gun! I am not happy, I think the original Colts were something to have but I am burned now!

If the seller never delivered the gun how on earth are you supposed to not get back the money you paid? Unless there's more to the story this is rediculous.

I am fighting with the seller to get my money back, he  sells a lot of SAA on gunsamerica, paid for my gun, he said before he could ship it to me he got the recall notice and sent it back to colt, that was 60 days ago, I am calling the police department in his town tomorrow if he doesn't reply to me email by morning, I am out 2400 bucks!

Colt's QC has been very spotty at best, for many years now.

Grit's the blame is the labor costs for Italian & Brazil firearms.  American companies have been strangled to keep up their QC because of production & labor costs

8 minutes ago, John Boy said:

Grit's the blame is the labor costs for Italian & Brazil firearms.  American companies have been strangled to keep up their QC because of production & labor costs

Labor cost are definitely a issue, but I will say that labor cost are not the issues for Colt. MSRP for a new Colt is 1800 plus. MSRP for a Uberti is $500 plus. If Colt can’t make a better revolver at over three times the cost they don’t deserve to be in buisness. That being said Colt can and does make a better revolver. They’re QC may have been spotty the last few years, but I wonder if that’s true. They don’t make enough to gauge. Even if it has been spotty I would venture they have less defect issues then Cimarron, and Cimarrons are supposed to be “hand picked”

15 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Much higher wages etc for Colt to deal with, than the Euro gun makers have to deal with.

OLG

Having worked in union shops since 1994 I can honestly say that labor costs are the lion share of manufacturing a product. I would say that would be true of any business in the US when compared to overseas. In most places I have worked, the trend is to go to robotics to replace humans as much as possible. If you have been out of the manufacturing scene more than five years you would be shocked at what robotic machines can do. With optical recognition and lasers, many machines can even change their own tooling as required for the piece being made. It is lowering the amount of human labor and lowering the skill required to do the job. In one instance, by using feeders with sensors on them, one robot was used to feed parts into three machines at one time. This eliminated the work of two operators. Luckily I am in a position that no robot can do. 

They are coming out with a he new version of a King Cobra so someone there must be thinking about reviving past products and using new equipment to do quality products!  Supposed to be introduced at Shot Show and on their website but I didn’t look for the recall in the “News” section of the website. 

Archived