SASS Wire Forum

Anyone have observations regarding the Taurus Gaucho?

At an "almost give-away" price, I'd take it.

I knew a gal who had a pair that served her well, with one issue:  The base pins seemed to be of a softer metal and would tend to somehow peen, and were difficult to remove.  As I recall the fix was fairly simple.  I'll try to find out more this evening.

When a friends wife wanted to try CAS she didn't care for the OMV's I had. Not being able to afford Colt's, I bought a pair of the Gaucho's for her to shoot. She shot those for close to 5 years with zero troubles. When she moved to a different city I sold them to a Cowboy just starting in SASS and CAS along with her Stoeger. He used those for at least 3-5 years after he bought them.

Now the newer ones made after 2006 were iffy in the quality control field. They worked but needed some smoothing out to run like the Pietta's or Uberti's. If memory is correct (probably not) they changed the manufacturer name to the Berreta Stampede.

Taurus Gaucho was a pretty well made Replica, equipped with Transfer Bar ignition.  A little rough out of the box but responded well to a bit of rubbin-n-buffin.  Not at all expensive.

The Beretta Stampede was an entirely different gun from an entirely different manufacturer.  Both had Transfer Bar ignition.

Well I'll be "that guy", good friend of mine had a pair, they both broke. He sent them back to Taurus. They could not fix one so sent him one new and one fixed( after many months). Neither worked, he sent them back. After many months he told the gun store owner he was going to trade them in if he ever saw them again. Gun store owner took them in on trade while they were still at Taurus, it was many more months before he got them. There is a reason they are no longer made and cheep.

3 minutes ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

Well I'll be "that guy", good friend of mine had a pair, they both broke. He sent them back to Taurus. They could not fix one so sent him one new and one fixed( after many months). Neither worked, he sent them back. After many months he told the gun store owner he was going to trade them in if he ever saw them again. Gun store owner took them in on trade while they were still at Taurus, it was many more months before he got them. There is a reason they are no longer made and cheep.

There was someone who shot at Sandusky who had the same trouble, he sent 'em back a couple times! I don't remember what the final outcome was but they were nothing buy trouble!:rolleyes:

I bought a set from a friend who had to quit shooting CAS for Jersey Bratt. They were some of the first in Nashville and from well before Beretta bought Taurus and discontinued the Gaucho in favor of their own Stampede which never did well and was plagued with problems. Jersey Bratt doesnt run them as hard as some folks but we have had no problems that were the guns fault. I would buy more at" a good price".

Imis

I have a pair I bought for my son in law.  He used them for a couple of years then passed them to his son who used them in a limited fashion.I got them back and shot them for several shoots until I got my RNVs worked out.  I don't expect to need them but they are in my back up bag.

Nice guns that shoot quite well.  They have never been used to the point of many of the fast shooter use their guns but they hae served me well.

I'd buy it.

I shoot two, I got them used from another CAS Member for a good price, and they have kept me shooting when money was tight. Granted, my shooting has been somewhat limited, but they have served me well. I did somehow damage one, as in bent a part of the trigger. Even Lassiter was somewhat confused as to how I did it when he looked at it for me. Sent it to Taurus, had it back within three weeks and still shooting them.

Having said that, if enough money comes my way, I'll pick up a couple of Ubertis or Rugers, and keep the Gauchos as backups.

Archived