SASS Wire Forum

age categories

richard J. Poggi

Currently the age categories beginning with Senior through Cattle Baron each have a duration of five years.  El Patron (or as some refer Gran Patron) extends indefinitely.  There are matches where an 80 year-old will shoot against someone who can be well over ninety.  That appears to be an inconsistency.  In the face of the issue that "there are just too many categories"  the similarly raised point that "SASS is Aging" deserves consideration.  The objection that adding categories places an economic burden on match logistics can be solved in other ways based on their responsibility to acknowledge rather than to reward a winner.  I offer for discussion the creation of a category for those  who reach 85 with a further suggestion that it be titled "Frontier Matriarch" for women and "Frontier Patriarch" for men.

I will be 85 in 2 years so I am eagerly anticipating a new category for 85+.  :-)  Most of us more elderly shooters don't need awards. I just love to compete.  It's fun for me to shoot with other older pards and pardettes as well as the younger set. For many years, it was my great pleasure to take Canadian and American kids to  SASS and NRA Bullseye matches. Those of us that have been around "forever" make good mentors for the young. I am already contemplating 90, 95 and 100!!!!. I picked a name for the 100 category "Survivor".  :-) 

I get to be Gran Patron in January.

36 minutes ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Beware of old men with guns! They have nothing to loose. :)

Did you mean nothing to lose? Or nothing too loose? I suppose both of them work

Wrangler here... I just wish sass would do away with being able to shoot a different age category than you actually are... Some of these guys have been shooting CAS longer than some others have been breathing...

1 hour ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

Wrangler here... I just wish sass would do away with being able to shoot a different age category than you actually are... Some of these guys have been shooting CAS longer than some others have been breathing...

Some of us like the fact that we can still beat young folks...

7 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Some of us like the fact that we can still beat young folks...

And some of us thank God for the 49er category! LOL:D

1 hour ago, Michigan Slim said:

And some of us thank God for the 49er category! LOL:D

Part of the joy of SASS is being able to move around. There are categories other than age based.

Last year I did FC and got my a$$ handed to me by a great young shooter at both WR and EOT. But finishing second both times to a competitor that's 36 years younger is nothing to be ashamed of 

This year I'm trying out FCD... I'm going to need a whole lot of assistance from god to do well... Hope God has a good sense of humour:huh:

Just now, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Part of the joy of SASS is being able to move around. There are categories other than age based.

Last year I did FC and got my a$$ handed to me by a great young shooter at both WR and EOT. But finishing second both times to a competitor that's 36 years younger is nothing to be ashamed of 

This year I'm trying out FCD... I'm going to need a whole lot of assistance from god to do well... Hope God has a good sense of humour:huh:

You should be praying to Colt, not god, since He's the one that made all men equal haha. It's the black powder that makes men "more equal"

3 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

It's what my daughter wins when we shoot against each other......

Oh ok. Thanks. So perhaps I'll get to see one when my daughter is old enough to shoot.

1 minute ago, Redwood Kid said:

Oh ok. Thanks. So perhaps I'll get to see one when my daughter is old enough to shoot.

If your lucky! I take a ribbing for it but it's pretty cool to see her come off a stage knowing she got me.

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:15 AM, Noz said:

I get to be Gran Patron in January.

I checked the rule book and there's no such category as Grand Patron. Now there is a El Patron category for those over 80. Even a lot of state matches have the non-existent Grand Patron category listed.

Yes, they call shoot any SASS legal cartridge. 

2 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

Can a buckaroo shoot anything bigger than 22 and 410?

...and 410 caliber, 28 ,or 32 gauge shotguns.   

o Buckaroo category competitors choosing to use center-fire ammunition in handguns and/or rifles must meet all center-fire power factor and velocity requirements.   

SHB p.5

1 hour ago, MizPete said:

Our Buckaroos never knew they didn't have to knock down shotgun targets.

My buckaroo wouldn't stop til they went down or he ran out of shells, even after the TO told him three times he didn't have to knock them down. Then again this a kid that asked for more BP in his shotgun loads because 40 gr didn't make enough flame/smoke.

On 12/4/2018 at 11:17 AM, Michigan Slim said:

It's what my daughter wins when we shoot against each other......

I feel your pain ...... it's my granddaughter & daughter BOTH ganging up on me now  :wacko:

On 12/3/2018 at 3:48 PM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I'm looking forward to when you try out Frontiersman...  Then I'll know you've taken the challenge to heart!

J Bar, that''s my goal.  :-)

The whole point is Grandad provided them with loads that would take down a target, and they were expected to do so.  My grandsons did not need, or expect, freebies.

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 1:48 PM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Good to see that you have ventured into the realm of BP. After 3 FC wins at WR I gave up trying to compete with kids that are over 50 yrs younger than me. I certainly still enjoy competition, and I do my best,  but it would be a lot more fun if they would acknowledge age in the BP categories.  I'm trying to swallow my pride and learn to shoot that Smokeless stuff and just go shoot with all the other Elderstatesmen .  :unsure:

Personally, I will never shoot an age based category, just don't believe in them. I even took my kids out of Junior and put them in a regular category.They were usually the only 2 in their category anyway, no fun winning if you aren't shooting against anyone. Now if they win it means something.

Tyrel, my daughter is the same way. We both shoot BP and we use the same ammo, full 44-40 cases of ffg. She even asked me if I could somehow make her loads louder and smokier! I tried compressed loads but that just made for more recoil. I am trying fg, seems to make more flame and sparks.

19 minutes ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Personally, I will never shoot an age based category, just don't believe in them. I even took my kids out of Junior and put them in a regular category.They were usually the only 2 in their category anyway, no fun winning if you aren't shooting against anyone. Now if they win it means something.

Tyrel, my daughter is the same way. We both shoot BP and we use the same ammo, full 44-40 cases of ffg. She even asked me if I could somehow make her loads louder and smokier! I tried compressed loads but that just made for more recoil. I am trying fg, seems to make more flame and sparks.

Good for you Slim, I feel the same way.  This summer I will crest into the third realm of age based categories but you'll not see my name listed in any of them.  Just not my thing.  I don't even list my age on applications.  Not because I am vain, I just don't want to be in an age based category.

BTW, have you tried FFFG?  That's the secret for making big smoke and noise in the smaller cartridges.  It will give the 44WCF a bit more zip and an almost white flame.  FG will give you allot more sparks for sure.  

49 minutes ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

I don't even list my age on applications.    

That's because you can't count that high!

Archived