SASS Wire Forum

What Makes You Country?

"And just be proud of what makes you country
Whatever makes you country"

35 miles to the grocery store makes me country. :lol:

Some of that song makes no sense.

Is it the size of your tires and your fires, or your wild ass buddies

Okay, I get the tires and buddies, but YOUR FIRES?

Backing in boats, fishing limb lines
Running bird dogs through the Georgia pines

Now, just what the heck does FISHING LIMB LINES mean?

Never seen anyone run a bird dog. You run hounds. They CHASE game. But bird dogs FIND game. Can't do that while running. :D

Limb lines are for catfishing. Tie a line to a tree limb. Drop it in the water and take a nap.

And big bonfires. With beer.

UB has me beat - there is a small grocery store ten miles away with about six aisles if I don't want to drive all the way to Helena.

Third generation farmer/rancher, mailbox is a mile and a half away from the house, starting my 64th year in February, and have never lived in a town other than four years USN.

I don't know that I'm country. I don't know that I'm city. I'm confident I'm not suburban.

I was raised in the city, going to an inner city high school.

Many of my summers were spent roaming the woods of Southeastern Kentucky.

When I go outside now, depending on the direction the wind is coming from, I smell the smells of horse farm or cow pasture.

Either way, I don't judge my countryness by the size of my fires. Sounds like someone is compensating.

Working for a school district that has "Tractor Day," where students can drive tractors to school. Getting compliments on my cowboy hat as I walk down the halls. Deer hunting is an excused absence. Bicycles sit in the racks all day without locks. Kids have pictures of fish and game on their phones that they harvested with dad or grandpa.

Bonfires can be any night of the week.  I can hear coyotes with a fresh kill. Or owls hooting. Deer trying to pick sunflower seeds out of the bird feeder.

When I tell that to friends in Chicago they say, "I'm sure you can. You're way out in the country." So if enjoying simple pleasures, common courtesy and respect mean I am "country", then so be it.

I wouldn't trade it for the best penthouse on Lake Shore Drive.

I was a city kid, went to an inner city high school. Moved into the town ship about 20 years ago. can hear the peepers and crickets at night when the AC's aren't running. Got deer, turkeys, raccoons, possums, rabbits, coyotes. If not actual country, it's close:blush:

20 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

BTW I was C.ountry when Country wasn't cool.

And I was cool before they claimed it as country!!

I wore flannel and slouch cowboy hats when Country wouldn’t claim ‘em!! I wore plain Cuban heel boots when Country demanded gaudy colors and intricate stitching. I wore a beard, even before beards were city, much less Country!

Most of today’s “Country” is rooted in Southern Rock and that was REALLY, REALLY uncool with the Country crowd back when many of my friends were actually creating the genre and the style.

Ain’t Country now and never was.  I’ll leave it at that ‘cause I have friends who really are!

When everyone else was wearing bell bottoms tie dyed shirts and sandals I was wearing boot cut jeans, flannel shirts and boots topped off with a black cowboy hat. Now I live where the hitching posts in town are not decroration 

so I guess I’m country 

Archived