SASS Wire Forum

Cleaning Oilskin Duster

Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L

Well I did a stupid (Certainly not the first or the last I'm sure) and left my wet, oilskin duster folded in my work truck for a couple of weeks before I noticed it.  I was Match Director for our Cops & Cowboys Charity Match and it rained the whole day.  Only had about 18 shooters so I spent the day clearing the bays after they shot so I could keep the lone posse moving, so I was soaked, inside and out, and totally wiped by the end of the day.

Pulled it out and hung in it the garage when I found it, and moved it inside the house after it seemed dry.  Now my family is complaining that it smells of mildew.  With my inoperable sense of smell, (Everything smells like Roses, or septic tanks, I honestly can't tell the difference), I never noticed it.  I hung it back out in the garage, but I am looking for suggestions as to how to clean it, or at least deodorize it.

Any "Useful" information would be greatly appreciated.  I will begin my search of the internet, and try not to fall down a black hole of useless videos, but I am hopeful one of you fine folks already have the answer.

Thanks,

Dogmeat

Well, that didn't take long.  First try on the web.  Guess I should go and buy a lottery ticket!

This is the link to the website, with the applicable information copied below for anyone else who might need it.

Thanks!

Cleaning Outback Oilskin Duster

How do I remove mildew? 

• Your coat may develop mildew if it is stored wet without being thoroughly dried or in a high humidity environment.
  • It is best to work outside if possible; however this can be done in a tub indoors if the weather outside will not permit.
  • Make a solution of 1/3 white vinegar + 2/3 water.
  • Apply this solution with a spray bottle while brushing the coat with a stiff brush — you can also put the solution in a bucket and use your brush to apply the solution from the bucket.
  • Be sure to scrub all oilskin areas that you can reach — both sides of the fabric when possible
  • Hang the coat up, hose off, and allow to dry thoroughly.
  • Extreme cases may require a 2nd application of the vinegar solution - or - soaking in the solution for several hours after scrubbing.

If that doesn't work try Odoban.  It kills difficult odors like cat & dog urine.  It took two applications to remove (kill) the mildew & mold in the basement of our family cabin in Tahoe last year.  The heavy warm winter storms last year raised the water table above the basement floor.  There was a 1/4" of water on the concrete floor in March.  The basement didn't totally dry out until September.  The humidity was so high that the solid core door to our owner's closet (10' by 10' room) was swollen to the point that it couldn't be opened/removed even after removing the hinge pins.  Had to use a reciprocating saw to cut the screws mounting the frame.

P.S.  The problem with Odoban is your coat will smell like a nursing home until it has been aired out for a week.

3 hours ago, M.T Chambers, SASS#76185 said:

Getting rid of the mold & mildew with the vinegar works well and is the easy part. Re-waxing is pain! 

Story of my life.  6 seconds of carelessness, 6 hours or work for the recovery.  :P  Oh well, I needed a winter project (like I need another hole in my head!) 

Thanks for the information guys.  Gee, I wonder if I leave it outside all winter if it will freeze the smell out of it?  :D

Not even close.  Lil would set "That One" on fire in the driveway, just to be sure I didn't bring it back into the house!

Looking at mine, other than a little mud on the lower regions, you couldn't tell there was anything wrong with it.  Just has a smell according to Lil and DooDad (Oldest Son).  I would just wear it as is, they already think I'm old and moldy, but then Lil may not let ME back in the house!  :o

12 hours ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Well I did a stupid (Certainly not the first or the last I'm sure) and left my wet, oilskin duster folded in my work truck for a couple of weeks before I noticed it.  I was Match Director for our Cops & Cowboys Charity Match and it rained the whole day.  Only had about 18 shooters so I spent the day clearing the bays after they shot so I could keep the lone posse moving, so I was soaked, inside and out, and totally wiped by the end of the day.

Pulled it out and hung in it the garage when I found it, and moved it inside the house after it seemed dry.  Now my family is complaining that it smells of mildew.  With my inoperable sense of smell, (Everything smells like Roses, or septic tanks, I honestly can't tell the difference), I never noticed it.  I hung it back out in the garage, but I am looking for suggestions as to how to clean it, or at least deodorize it.

Any "Useful" information would be greatly appreciated.  I will begin my search of the internet, and try not to fall down a black hole of useless videos, but I am hopeful one of you fine folks already have the answer.

Thanks,

Dogmeat

I just returned from visiting my folks in Maryland. Everything east of the Mississippi smells of mold and mildew. Houses were covered, roofs were covered, the whole place was covered. Just wear your duster and enjoy. Does it ever stop raining there? Why did you take the duster off? You need it everyday. 

13 minutes ago, Assassin said:

I just returned from visiting my folks in Maryland. Everything east of the Mississippi smells of mold and mildew. Houses were covered, roofs were covered, the whole place was covered. Just wear your duster and enjoy. Does it ever stop raining there? Why did you take the duster off? You need it everyday. 

:D

It's not raining now, but the fog was so dense this morning that it was like being in a cloud, and I will certainly admit that the last few years have been wet.  The previous few where dry and certain folks blamed our drought on "Climate Change", said we were all going to die of thirst.  Now that we are drowning in rain, they are saying that it's because of "Climate Change" too, so I guess they are right, the climate did change!

I will be glad when we get back to a more normal balance of weather here.  My home club of Damascus shot in the rain, every month this year and it has been so wet that I nick-named our State Match to The Mud Hole from it's official name, Thunder Valley Days.  It has been wet.

Archived