SASS Wire Forum

A new shotgun. A tale of gun envy.

A shotgun tale

Years ago my old pard Naco decided at the end of the shooting season that he would join me in Classic Cowboy category at the Zen Shootist SASS club located in Central Iowa for the following year. To do this he would need to acquire a hammered double shotgun. After looking online he decided he wanted a TTN in antique finish but none were in-stock at the online distributors. That winter a group of us were gathering at a local Saloon for some socializing. Down the road is a Sportsman Warehouse which I stopped into before going to the Saloon. There it was, at the gun counter, just the gun he wanted!! I swooned over the gun but decided to give Naco first chance. He was at the Saloon and when I told him of the shotgun he went down the street and purchased it. Thus began several years of gun envy. After two years Naco moved on to a different category and quit shooting that shotgun in favor of a 97 and then an SKB double. I let him know if he ever wanted to sale it, I was his Huckleberry. After a while he offered and I was the owner, my gun envy was put to rest.

After shooting a match with it,  I realized I needed a stock cover as the shotgun kept slipping off my shoulder. I always wanted to have a gun as a tribute to the book Monte Walsh by Jack Schaefer and this would be my chance. Now most of y’all have seen the movie Monte Walsh with Tom Selleck and before that a version with Lee Marvin as the title character. Watching the movies led me to the book. It is the best western I have ever read. I couldn’t put it down, was staying up late to read, even took a day off from work to stay home and read. It is much grander than the movies. The book details Monte’s entire life and to me has a much better ending than the movie versions. For most of the book Monte rides for the Slash Y (  / Y ) and is the bronc buster for the outfit. It’s a reoccurring theme thru the book, if ya want a horse broke right ya called on Monte. I presented my idea of a stock cover to Michigan Rattler of Michigan Rattler Leather. I told him I wanted a bucking horse and rider along with the Slash Y brand. Well, Michigan Rattler nailed it, to me it just perfectly captured the spirit of the book. It’s back home with me after an action job by Cowboys Shooters Supply. Now I’m ready to hit the trail with my shotgun.

The End

IMG_1228.JPG

20 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Looks like it still has its hammer spurs.

I just shortened them a bit and dull so they won't cut me.

2 minutes ago, Major Art Tillery said:

Beautiful gun Chili!  You bringing to The Classic Cowboy Showdown?

Planning on it.

Archived