SASS Wire Forum

Remember when you could fall asleep anywhere?

I still can. Problem is I can't stay asleep.

2 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

I used to be able to sleep standing up in a hammock:rolleyes:

I told a girl once that I wanted her in the worst way.  She told me the worst way she could imagine would be standing up in a hammock.  We were married 51 years.

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I still can. Problem is I can't stay asleep.

2 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

I used to be able to sleep standing up in a hammock:rolleyes:

Did you ever fall asleep in Formation? I did. We were practicing for a Change of Command ceremony, and the Officers kept getting something wrong. So naturally the rest of us had to stand in formation while they practiced their part again and again. 

The Sgt. Major was NOT amused.

I fell asleep like the top one onetime in Kyoto, Japan but I was a lot older and drunker. I haven’t touched Saki since.

Just an observation, but I think anybody that has been in a field unit in the Army or Marines developed the ability to sleep, especially for short periods, just about anywhere. I've slept leaning against trees, doing a rucksack flop, in the back of a deuce and a half, on a narrow litter in the back of an ambulance, in a cold and leaky Humvee in the rain, in a hot and leaky Humvee in a sandstorm... You get the idea.

On Okinawa in 69, working flight Line 12+ hours a day; my tent was about 200 yards from the KC-135 engine Trim Pad. I could sleep like a baby with a KC doing a water  injection trim . It rattled the cots, but I could sleep right though it. Still can.

Cheers,  Hoss C.

2 hours ago, Hoss Carpenter said:

On Okinawa in 69, working flight Line 12+ hours a day; my tent was about 200 yards from the KC-135 engine Trim Pad. I could sleep like a baby with a KC doing a water  injection trim . It rattled the cots, but I could sleep right though it. Still can.

Cheers,  Hoss C.

I've slept while artillery batteries were firing, so I understand.

I learned how to sleep with my eyes open...in church!  Could catch a few zzzzz's lying on the steel floor of a Minuteman I launcher equipment room, waiting for the 2 hr 32 min. calibration cycle to complete!  Just used the umbilical cable on the floor for a pillow!  :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, DocWard said:

I've slept while artillery batteries were firing, so I understand.

I worked with a guy who once slept thru a mortar attack in Viet Nam.    I had to wonder where his buddies were at the time.   I'd think at least one of them would wake him up or drag him to a bunker.

I've slept thru some pretty good storms, but I think I'd wake up for a mortar attack.

Angus

12 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

I worked with a guy who once slept thru a mortar attack in Viet Nam.    I had to wonder where his buddies were at the time.   I'd think at least one of them would wake him up or drag him to a bunker.

I've slept thru some pretty good storms, but I think I'd wake up for a mortar attack.

Angus

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that would get my attention too.

Archived