SASS Wire Forum

The VA

Okiepan

I have heard all these horror stories about the VA hospital's but every time I have been  there i have been treated great , Has any one out there have any horror stories ?

Just wondering 

49 minutes ago, Okiepan said:

I have heard all these horror stories about the VA hospital's but every time I have been  there i have been treated great , Has any one out there have any horror stories ?

Just wondering 

ALL of my association with the VA has been good.  No complaints at all.

Had some issues, got a new rep and most problems solved

The VA has changed a lot in the last 20 years or so. Used to be a fight to get the treatments you needed. Used to almost have to go to war with them over anything you needed.

Not so today. They seem to really care and want to help and give you the best care they can.

The VA treated Dad very well. Even more important, they valued his humanity. The medical care from both of the VA facilities he used was world class. Dad’s last 8 years were difficult and without the Spinal Cord Injury department  at Long Beach and the amazing advocates from the Paralyzed Veterans of America, I am uncertain how he and Mom would have managed.

Dad passed on March 31st and I am still trying to close out his affairs. The Veterans Administration has been the most helpful agency hands down. Every single person has thanked me for Dad’s service and gave their condolences for our loss of a loved one. Each person has been helpful and has followed through with what they said they would do. 

I hope all of you Veterans receive similar care, you deserve it! Thank you, and welcome home. 

We have somewhat different Health and Hospital philosophy models here in Canada.

We actually closed our Tri-Service Military Hospital here in Ottawa. 

Health and hospital care is now administered in the local community hospitals, using a mix of military and civilians to provide service to the patients.

This has meant whatever centre is close and has the necessary expertise, deals with the patient.

It's not perfect by any means, but gets the job done.

We have a lot fewer military patients to deal with however, so that certainly impacts the system.

All my experiences have been good.

I have seen others, not many, get treated badly.

I also watch how the veteran treated the people at VA.

Veteran was rude  and or abusive towards them.

When I saw then again at the hospital, they would talk about how poorly they thought they were treated.

respect gets respect.

abuse gets abuse.

(my opinion)

Wife was an ICU Surgical nurse in the Army back in 64-68. Around 1978 she went to work at VA in Phoenix doing the same thing. After 6 months she had to quit because of the treatment given to the veterans. She was one really pis*** off gal and had nothing good to say about the VA. I went into the VA system back in 2008 and have had nothing but great care at the Sedalia, Missouri clinic, and the Harry S. Truman VA Hospital in Columbia, Mo. My wife has been really impressed. Just wish she could get into the VA care.

When I am ever treated at a VA facility I ask the doctor or nurses why they work for VA. Every time I am given much the same answer. That is the vast majority of the patients are ever so thankful for them. The tell me outside the VA patients treat them like sh** and demand how to be treated. I also love the way there are no "hot dollies" coming into the doctor's office to sell products along with other things. I know the doctors have told me how much they appreciate not putting up with that BS. 

I've been going to the VA in Amarillo for the passed 20 years, and have always been treated great. Last year I needed an eye exam for new glasses and the the only date they had open was in 33 days.  They offered to send me to a civilian Dr. but this wasn't an emergency. I took the appointment they had open. My wait time to see my doctor at the VA is always less that 20 minutes, much shorter than my wife who goes to a civilian dr. I'm very pleased with the VA medical service.

4 hours ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

I think it all depends on the facility. 2 years ago, I went to Chalmers Wylie VA in Columbus , Ohio for a heart test, and was very pleased with the service.

I have been very pleased with the service here.  Particularly the speciality Doctors they are all first class.

Archived