SASS Wire Forum

Lucas Oil Gun Care Products

Knucky McPee

I see Lucas Oil Products is now in the gun care business.  Has any of you tried their stuff.  I'm always looking for that miracle cleaner that removes the carbine on your revolvers.

https://lucasoil.com/products/out-door-line

The red gun oil works very good.  

I use it on my handguns.  

But if you load too light and have some unburnt powder it tends to stick to the oil.  

Found this out loading 32 s/w long for my son.  Jammed up the cylinder for him.  But this wasn’t an oil issue it was a powder issue.  

Ive been using the red and the green Lucas gun lube products for going on 2+ years now. The red is all I put on the insides of my 66 carbine and my RM Open Tops pistols as well!

Thanks for all the replies.  I used Lucas Oil products for many years during my drag racing career.  Lucas definitely knows oil, metallurgy, and friction reduction.  I always thought about using their synthetic transmission oil do to its high detergent qualities on my guns.  Wonder if their red lube is their tranny oil.

6 minutes ago, Captain Black Hand said:

Thanks for all the replies.  I used Lucas Oil products for many years during my drag racing career.  Lucas definitely knows oil, metallurgy, and friction reduction.  I always thought about using their synthetic transmission oil do to its high detergent qualities on my guns.  Wonder if their red lube is their tranny oil.

Doesn't smell the same.:huh:

OLG

Got a question for you all that have tried Lucas products on your guns.  Does it leave your guns slippery when wet like balistol does.  I live in the rainy northwest and shoot black powder.  

I use some Lucas products in gun care but I especially give company a "thumbs up" for their conservative funding (Trump campain)'

2 minutes ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

I use some Lucas products in gun care but I especially give company a "thumbs up" for their conservative funding (Trump campain)'

Yes indeed

Talked to them at the 2017 SHOT Show.  One thing bothered me at the time in that they were unwilling to submit their product for MILSPEC certification.  Probably not a big deal, but in my job I have the worry about temp extremes, so I've taken a pass on their stuff.

4 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Talked to them at the 2017 SHOT Show.  One thing bothered me at the time in that they were unwilling to submit their product for MILSPEC certification.  Probably not a big deal, but in my job I have the worry about temp extremes, so I've taken a pass on their stuff.

Good bit of costs involved with that cert.

Many top gun products today do not have the 'MILSPEC' cert and work great.

I've used Lucas for many years in my cars and their gun stuff is also GTG.

YMMV,

OLG

2 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Good bit of costs involved with that cert.

Many top gun products today do not have the 'MILSPEC' cert and work great.

I've used Lucas for many years in my cars and their gun stuff is also GTG.

YMMV,

OLG

And that was the reason Lucas gave me for not obtaining that certification.  But I can buy MILSPEC lubes for the same price.  Just a bit of peace of mind for me.

4 minutes ago, Sarge said:

And that was the reason Lucas gave me for not obtaining that certification.  But I can buy MILSPEC lubes for the same price.  Just a bit of peace of mind for me.

Your choice-Just a good way to loose out on using some great products is all.

Do you use WD-40?

OLG

I use lucasoil extreme duty bore solvent in my ultrasonic.  It works great, but I don't think I'm going to use it for black powder guns.  When I start shooting black, I'm going to use moose milk / ballistol for those guns and keep using CLP / lucas oil for the modern guns.  As I understand it, oil based cleaners aren't good for black powder. 

It leaves the parts wet.  Probably a little slicker than ballistol or CLP does, but I can't be sure because I've never bathed my guns in ballistol or CLP.  I usually turn on my compressor and blow the parts off, then wipe them and there's no need to add any more lube.  If I let it drip onto the concrete it creates a slick spot.  Figured that out the hard way. 

Archived