SASS Wire Forum

32 Cal Rifles

Col Del Rio

Howdy

I picked up this real nice Model 1892 chambered for 32-20 a year or two ago.

Haven't taken it to a match yet, but I intend to one of these days.

Model%201892%201911%2032-20%2002_zpsjnwd

Cartridge%20Marking_zpsxmnlszv1.jpg

I know a few Pards who use the .32 caliber rifle exclusively,  MYSELF included.

Those I am aware of are all Marlin 1894 models.   All are the later 'JM' models with

the cross bolt safety.   AND, they are in the Cowboy configuration (Octagon barrel).

Apparently, Marlin only made about 600 or so and they bring a premium price at this time.

As for the Henry, I have seen 2 of them in .327 Fed Mag.  They are nice... but HEAVY,  real heavy.

..........Widder

I have a pair of Taylor 1873 Cattleman 32-20 revolvers, and an original Winchester 1892 , Uberti 1873, and a Browning 53 all in 32-20 that I shoot quite regularly using .313 diameter 100 grain bullets over Trail Boss powder. A very fun little cartridge to shoot!

And I’ll raise with four 32-20’s; a Winchester 73, a Winchester 92, a Uberti 73, and a Colt Lightning; also two Marlin Mod 92’s that have been converted from 32 Colr/32 rimfire to 32 S&W Long.  The Marlins will also shoot 32 S&W short.

I have to admit though, I usually shoot my Uberti Mod 73 in 38/357.

4 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I know a few Pards who use the .32 caliber rifle exclusively,  MYSELF included.

Those I am aware of are all Marlin 1894 models.   All are the later 'JM' models with

the cross bolt safety.   AND, they are in the Cowboy configuration (Octagon barrel).

Apparently, Marlin only made about 600 or so and they bring a premium price at this time.

As for the Henry, I have seen 2 of them in .327 Fed Mag.  They are nice... but HEAVY,  real heavy.

..........Widder

I use the Henry H012M327 327 Federal Magnum in Steel to go with my match set of Ruger John Wayne 32 H&R mag pistols - Runs great, very smooth and not any heavier than the Marlin as well as extremely accurate out of the box.  I have not had it worked on but to be fair I don't have any of mine made race ready.

Charlie

Charlie,

I haven't handled the steel framed Henry .32.

I should have mentioned that both of those heavy rifles I mentioned were both

with the brass looking frame.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Charlie,

I haven't handled the steel framed Henry .32.

I should have mentioned that both of those heavy rifles I mentioned were both

with the brass looking frame.

..........Widder

Widder

Here is a stock picture of one - note I did change my rear sight to a full buckhorn.

Image result for H012M327

Forgot to add that they list for $893 but if you shop around as I did you can find 1 for about $640 NIB from a dealer

I've got a Marlin 94 CCLTD .32-20 I shoot once in awhile, paired up with a set of 5 1/2" .32-20 Uberti Cattleman revolvers.

Not a lot of the Marlins around - only 501 made in that configuration.

43 minutes ago, Charlie T Waite said:

Widder

Here is a stock picture of one - note I did change my rear sight to a full buckhorn.

Image result for H012M327

Forgot to add that they list for $893 but if you shop around as I did you can find 1 for about $640 NIB from a dealer

Thanks for the picture,  does it cycle with 32 h&r or 32 long?  Thank You Bullett 19707

11 minutes ago, Bullett Sass 19707 said:

Thanks for the picture,  does it cycle with 32 h&r or 32 long?  Thank You Bullett 19707

I have fire 32 SW, 32 H&R & 327 mag in it just to see how it does.  It cycled fine for me but remember that the shorter the bullet the more chance there is to jam.  I am normally using 32 H&R to match pistol rounds, smooth as silk.  Lifetime warranty is also a plus

I saw a .32-20/.32 H&R mag convertible Vaquero on Gunbroker yesterday - I wouldn't mind a set of those, but there weren't many made (273, according to the seller), and he has a starting bid of $1400.

Still kicking my self about Marlin in 32 H&R-------several  years ago the wife tried cowboy shooting------bought her a pair of baby Vaqueros---( short grip frame--.32 H&R--glossy stainless-white grips-------)---was gonna have to wait 4  to 6 weeks for dealer to order a Marlin in 32 H&R------So I just went on & bought a Marlin 94 c in 357/38-------she decided after about shooting 6 matches-shotgun was too much for her so she backed outa cowboy shooting!!------The little 94 c is a great little rifle in excellent shape & worth more now than what I paid new--------but oh my gosh the Marlin 32 H&R's  value went thru  the roof!!! Shoulda bought both 94c & 32   ----kick my butt kick my butt!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 4:54 PM, Col Del Rio said:

Thanks Everyone.  I might try getting a pair of 32 revolvers and a rifle to match sometime down the trail.

I bought one of these, a great deal- Uberti Cattleman 32-20 

Now if I could just find a rifle worth the money....

Cholla

My wife, Ms. Mary Matilda, shoots Rugers in .32 H&R magnum along with her Marlin in .32 H&R magnum...  ...and yes, the .32 H&R magnums are plumb full of the Holy Black powder...

Archived