SASS Wire Forum

Enlisted Men

Subdeacon Joe

So, we had them fooled even back then.

It has always been my opinion that most Officers were educated but stupid in regards to common sense, “Street Smarts” and common life skills. I am pretty sure many of them, if you could read their minds, you would hear “Breath, now smile at the Captain and nod, breath, now glower at the Petty Officer, now breath...you forgot to exhale on the last one idiot. EXHALE! Now breath.....”

Present company excluded, of course. I would say that 50% of the officers I have known were Dipsticks with Degrees.

Edit: That percentage also runs true for enlisted. To be fair...

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

It has always been my opinion that most Officers were educated but stupid in regards to common sense, “Street Smarts” and common life skills. I am pretty sure many of them, if you could read their minds, you would hear “Breath, now smile at the Captain and nod, breath, now glower at the Petty Officer, now breath...you forgot to exhale on the last one idiot. EXHALE! Now breath.....”

Present company excluded, of course. I would say that 50% of the officers I have known were Dipsticks with Degrees.

I agree.  I'd like to think I was on the high end of the other 50%.  My records seem to agree with me.

Then I resigned my commission in the Army and became an enlisted Marine..... and kept my skills and most of my intelligence.  My USMC records still back my opinion of myself.

Maybe that's why I don't have many friends left from either service.

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Fixed it.

my son-in-law retired after 30 years in the Corps as a CW5 (they only went to CW4 when I was in.) and is one of the brightest men I've ever known.  He's opinionated and not learned in a lot of civilian ways, even after six years among us, but he's also very crafty.  I think we'll keep him.

From my experience the Sgt.'s job is to take care of the men first, then comes the officers.:lol:

The Air Force enlisted troops, with one exception, were generally the smartest people with whom I served!  Of course, they had to be...working on ICBM's back in the '60's!  The opinion of the officers in 1894 was probably based on the fact that enlisted troops of that day and age were far less educated, and often enlisted one step ahead of the law.  Still, that statement was probably based more on the arrogance of whoever wrote the book!

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Yes, I met enlisted men like you.

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Ya think Noz is more crusty than crafty?

I vote for crusty but I was trained well by a crafty E8.

38 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Is that the 1894  edition?

Apparently they forgot to remove it in the subsequent additions. It was still there in 67..

But it's in invisible ink. :P

16 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

And I have met Officers like you :P

Then you were fortunate.

My dad was 13 years enlisted when he went to OCS.  He was on the list promote to Gunny and the oldest man in his class.  The guest of honor at his class’s mess night was Chesty Puller.  

On 11/30/2018 at 5:17 PM, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Burning a Second Lieutenant is the next thing to child abuse.

https://www.duffelblog.com/2013/05/captain-charged-with-manslaughter-after-leaving-lieutenant-unattended-in-parked-car/

7 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

"The incident has forced the Army to review its policies on the humane treatment of Lieutenants."

I thought it was bad, but had no idea. This country is in deep trouble. Sgt's are the one to babysit Lieutenant's, not captains. Sorry Bob, there are exceptions.;)

Oh, the negligence!  Everyone knows you don't leave a lieutenant unattended for any amount of time. 

One would have thought the captain would have received that training in the Officer Advance Course.  We sergeants got that training in the NCO Academy. 

Moral of the story:  Officers, if you must leave a second lieutenant, have a capable sergeant available to watch over him/her. 

Things sure have changed since I retired almost 30 years ago.    We wouldn't have needed to do a review of policies on the humane treatment of lieutenants back when I was in the Army.  So there!  I guess I told you!!! -_-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

True story.  When I was a chief warrant officer, I actually ripped into a popinjay lieutenant colonel who tried to low-handedly entrap one of my lieutenants.  But then again, there is nothing more obnoxious than a warrant officer with over 20 years of service.

Apparently, some British soldiers need changing....

IMG_0705.JPG

I was Enlisted 3+ years in  the Army NG; then commissioned in the USAF. It sure helped me though out my career with all the Enlisted Men I worked with.  Hoss C.

On 12/4/2018 at 9:36 PM, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Oh, the negligence!  Everyone knows you don't leave a lieutenant unattended for any amount of time. 

Moral of the story:  Officers, if you must leave a second lieutenant, have a capable sergeant available to watch over him/her. 

But better left unattended than given a corporal to watch over him.

Having spent 10 years on one side be fore moving to the other for 14+ more, I learned a lot from both sides.  USCG, I counted on my  Chiefs, E-7's,  both ways, when I was growing up and when I was still needing guidance,  Thanks to all that served  anywhere, any time ,  C U, C.W.  :FlagAm:

Archived