SASS Wire Forum

Bad shooting?

Red Cent

"They just killed that man in cold blood. They just seen that man had a gun on him. They shot that man down for no reason," Noland Moore could be heard saying in a video uploaded to Facebook."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/witness-in-deadly-mall-shooting-video-they-shot-that-man-down-for-no-reason/ar-BBQccin?ocid=spartandhp

I realize all the facts may not be known. At this point, all I understand that the cop, under stress, ran into a guy with a gun. I have been taught by experienced people not to brandish or even show your weapon in such a circumstance. The guy with the gun may have not realized what a position he was presenting to anybody, much less a cop with a gun. 

I think its high time for people packing guns to realize that packing a gun is only half of the equation.

The other half is some form of ballistic protection. Depending on the probability of the threat encountered? From a basic kevlar vest to a full on plate carrier with level 4 sapi plates.

You dont have to begrudge an LE officer doing his job.... but you can damn sure live through the experience of his snap decision.

13 minutes ago, Wapaloosie73 said:

I think its high time for people packing guns to realize that packing a gun is only half of the equation.

The other half is some form of ballistic protection. Depending on the probability of the threat encountered? From a basic kevlar vest to a full on plate carrier with level 4 sapi plates.

You dont have to begrudge an LE officer doing his job.... but you can damn sure live through the experience of his snap decision.

I wore a vest for years as a cop. They are not comfortable. I can’t imagine John Q. Citizen wearing one routinely. 5ere’s only so much you can reasonably do. The most important is to hae good situational awareness. When you hear the sirens come and the police are there or close by, do not have a gun in your hand. Too much can go wrong. 

There’s a website called Legally Armed.  They used to offer lightweight jackets with “LEGALLY ARMED” emblazoned on back and front.  There were also windbreakers with Handgun Permitted as well.

I figure if the feces strikes the wind machine, I will do my part to defend and when the cavalry arrives, I’ll assume a passive position and either stow or offer my weapon from a surrender position in advance of their appearance on the scene.

This sort of thing has always been a risk; just ask any cop who ever carried plain-clothed or while off-duty. Do your best not to be brandishing your weapon any longer than necessary and be sure to drop it or stow it as soon as you see the cavalry show up.

And at the same time we also need to confront the elephant in the room. The man who was shot was black, which tends to increase the chances of a bad shoot. Not saying the cops in question were racist, but it seems they've been conditioned to treat any black person seen carrying a gun as a threat.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I wore a vest for years as a cop. They are not comfortable. I can’t imagine John Q. Citizen wearing one routinely. 5ere’s only so much you can reasonably do. The most important is to hae good situational awareness. When you hear the sirens come and the police are there or close by, do not have a gun in your hand. Too much can go wrong. 

But with these mass shootings? There are no sirens to warn you. Maybe some gun shots?

We may have to learn to be uncomfortable.

reading the little that is there, with a lot of speculation until the body cam and the mall videos are released, there were two shots fired and shoppers? were injured, police arrive on scene, the victim was assisting people trying to vacate, weapon was or was not drawn, cop sees gun, shoots and kills. We'll see. It says the victim had a concealed carry permit etc.

Ike

4 hours ago, Wapaloosie73 said:

But with these mass shootings? There are no sirens to warn you. Maybe some gun shots?

We may have to learn to be uncomfortable.

I meant when you hear the police sirens responding to the scene. Assuming you are not engaged in a fight right then, it’s time to

re-conceal that handgun. 

9 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

There it is, a simple solution to most of this kind of occurrence.

4 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I meant when you hear the police sirens responding to the scene. Assuming you are not engaged in a fight right then, it’s time to

re-conceal that handgun. 

Concerning Police agreed.

But I still may be investing in some PPE when I head to the big city.

Archived