SASS Wire Forum

Do they not put key locks on cars any more?

Alpo

I'm sitting at the red light looking at the back of the car in front of me. And I suddenly realize I don't see a keyhole on the trunk.

And I'm thinking, what - only way to open the trunk now is that button inside the cab?

Then I glance out the side window and see the car in the next lane does not appear to have keyholes on the door.

You GOTTA use the key fob? Your battery dies you CAN'T get in the dang car??

My truck as one keyhole on the driver's door then the tailgate.  Laughed at a poor sob who's battery died and he couldn't get into his car. I'd have helped but the Clinton for president sticker drove me away.

10 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

If the battery in the fob dies, it not a hindrance. The key is recognized because of RFID.

Yup, but if the battery in the car dies then......

my new Impala has a remote gizmo t hat allows me to open everything but a can of beans.  If it fails there is a small manual "key" (pops out of the side of my automatic sender gadget with the push of a button) that will let me open the doors and get inside, will even start the car if necessary.  Ain't technology wunnerfull?  Maybe I'll live long enough to figure how all of itworks.

Long ago my wife worked for an Art gallery in Filmore CA. The owners bought a luxury sedan that had no locks only a keypad on the food or the key fob.  The went on a 30 day vacation and when they returned they couldn't get into their car because the car's battery was dead.  The dealer had to come out and used some secret connector to apply power to get the locks to work. Wish I could remember the make and model but that was a long time ago.

10 hours ago, Dorado said:

My truck as one keyhole on the driver's door then the tailgate.  Laughed at a poor sob who's battery died and he couldn't get into his car. I'd have helped but the Clinton for president sticker drove me away.

My Buick Encore 2017 has one door lock on the driver's side. At least I can get in the car but no keyhole for starting it!

The thing that really bothers me is there's no CD PLAYER!!!!:angry:

I long to have my old Ford back...

A while back I looked at new cars on line. I was thinking I could get a base model economy car with no bells or whistles. It is hard to find a car that doesn’t have something that will be a problem down the road. The one “sure thing” regarding technology is it will let you down and in many cases it will let you down hard.

11 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Apparently some cars have a hidden manual lock you can insert a key into.

You could die of starvation before you got that thing to work.  My 18 Impala has a similar "key" that pops out with a push of a button and then works a lot the same way.

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

A while back I looked at new cars on line. I was thinking I could get a base model economy car with no bells or whistles. It is hard to find a car that doesn’t have something that will be a problem down the road. The one “sure thing” regarding technology is it will let you down and in many cases it will let you down hard.

That reminded me of my Dad.  He and Mom bought the only new car he ever bought in 1966, a Ford Fairlane 500XL.  I was in my early teens, we were living in hot and humid south GA was tired of folding over the the front seat to get in the back of our 1957 Chevrolet.  I complained to Dad that he had not gotten air conditioning, four doors, or an automatic transmission on the new Ford, and she schooled that me that those were just more things to break......  When I went looking to buy my first new truck, I decided I wanted to get on with a manual tranny, as I always enjoyed driving manuals.  The only ones I could find without automatic transmissions were a few base model work trucks.  The simple days are gone.  

14 hours ago, Dorado said:

Yup, but if the battery in the car dies then...…

Then having a key that works will do you no good anyway. :(

That's when this becomes an option. :D

963962366_VWwithWindUpKey.jpg.23eb82239a9aefd770d1f0052f8bc5ee.jpg

Will at least get you to the next auto supply store! :P

5 hours ago, Lastcall Ranger said:

The simple days are gone.  

Yes they are :(

Imagine. Someone, someday will think that “these are the good old days”.

8 hours ago, Lastcall Ranger said:

When I went looking to buy my first new truck, I decided I wanted to get on with a manual tranny, as I always enjoyed driving manuals.  The only ones I could find without automatic transmissions were a few base model work trucks.  The simple days are gone.  

12 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Last year a guy I work with got a new truck. He was also thinking bench seat, manual tranny, etc. Apparently NOBODY makes a truck like that nowadays.

He said that the Ford dealer told him that Ford hasn't made a manual tranny in years. 

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Yes they are :(

Imagine. Someone, someday will think that “these are the good old days”.

The good old days are memorable because I wasn't good and I wasn't old..... so there!  PFFFFFFTTTT!

Howdy,

Manual trans on new Ford fiesta sport. 

I just bought a used honda with  6 cd player.

New ones cd playder is rare.

And be careful on buying a dvd blu ray player for home

some have cd play and some don't.  

And its ODD the cheap ones have cd the middle ones dont

and the expensive ones have cd again.  Weird.

At least that's what I found last weekend.

Gotta know what the little logos on the box mean.

Sales folk mean well but are often clueless.

I may have to dig out that portable cd player from 1985 again.

Whoda thunkit??

Best

CR

12 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Last year a guy I work with got a new truck. He was also thinking bench seat, manual tranny, etc. Apparently NOBODY makes a truck like that nowadays.

He said that the Ford dealer told him that Ford hasn't made a manual tranny in years. 

Ford dropped the stick.  It is a numbers thing, Ford drops what doesn't sell well and then they don't need a government bailout.  GM only puts manuals in the light trucks Colorado/Canyon.  Dodge still does in the heavy trucks, Ram 2500/3500.  

Factory order a work truck with delete options will get you the basic hauling model with steel key.  You can get key copies for $2 instead of $200.

A buddies car requires you to remove the license plate to get to a key hole, to open the trunk, to climb through the trunk, to pop the hood in the front seat, to replace/charge the battery.  Jumper cables don't work because the cars charging system is insufficient to handle all the electronics with a dead battery.

I like all the new options. My Camaro emails me if it’s having a problem. When it’s dark the lights come on, when it’s light they turn off. If it’s hot it cools it to 73, if it’s cold it warms it to 73. When I get in it syncs to my phone plays my favorite songs and turns on Waze. When I get out and walk away it locks itself. When I downshift it blips the throttle and matches rpms. When I accelerate the heads up display shows me green then yellow then red lights to indicate optimal shift points.  I can see water, oil and transmission fluid temps, tire pressures and temperatures, heck I can even see how much power the limited slip differential is sending to each wheel. I can adjust throttle mapping, steering, suspension and exhaust all independently.

To top it off this small block Chevy V8 would run circles around the 69 GTO I had in HS and gets better MPG.

For cars THIS is the golden age.

Archived