SASS Wire Forum

Spolar Gold Premier Shotshell Reloader

Knucky McPee

I have been looking at getting a Spolar Gold shotshell reloader since seeing it at Winter Range but I'm having a tough time forking over the gold for one of these.  I know you get what you pay for and it is definitely a quality reloader.  I am a black powder shooter and currently using a Dillon SL900.  I cant trust the powder measure on the Dillon.  I get inconsistent loads so I have been using Lee scoops.  Plus I love the roll crimp the Spolar does on the final crimp.  What are your thoughts on the Spolar Gold especially you darksiders that have one of these reloaders.  

There is Spolar Gold and then there is everything else.  In a class of it's own.  You need to decide if it is worth it to you. Most Cowboy SG loads are pretty forgiving and most get away with pretty lousy looking reloads. 

15 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I load BP with my D/550 all the time.

OP-is this real BP, or one of those want-a-b brands?

What granulation are you using if it's the real stuff?

I load 2F Goex Old 'E' with no issues.

OLG

I load BP on both my Dillon 650's and they load BP just fine.  Not sure why I wind up with light loads with the SL900.  Sometimes little or no powder will drop.  I do not leave my powder in the tubes.  I always dump it back into the container after loading.  I use 2F 777 for SG and 3F for my pistol/rifle loads.  I should give Goex a try.

Happy Jack said it all.  I have a Spolar .  It producers factory quality reloads.  The Powder unit on the machine is really accurate. I reloaded 2,000 rds Sunday afternoon. I have own mine for 7 or 8 years.  AS stated earlier you get what you pay for.

Goatneck

I also have a Spolar Gold and use it to load 12, 20, 28 and .410s for clay targets as I shoot a very high volume. I shoot black powder for SASS and load all my shot shells on a MEC 9000G. I can load 300 Plus in an hour. Never considered the Spolar for Black. No problem with inconsistent loads on the MEC. You can find used ones pretty cheap. 

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Don't know-Never have that issue with real BP.

The wanna-b stuff clumps up bad.

OLG

Triple Seven does clump.  I break up the clumps before loading any kind and have no problem with light loads.  I do this before every daily reloading session.  Triple Seven without the clumps meters very well.

4 hours ago, Goatneck Clem said:

Happy Jack said it all.  I have a Spolar .  It producers factory quality reloads.  The Powder unit on the machine is really accurate. I reloaded 2,000 rds Sunday afternoon. I have own mine for 7 or 8 years.  AS stated earlier you get what you pay for.

Goatneck

Thanks Goatneck.  I'm loving the BSS you did for me.  

4 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Could this also be fixed by attaching one of those little aquarium pumps to vibrate the tube and prevent bridging?

Thanks Shooting Bull.  I was told that from another cowpoke but I haven't tried that yet.

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Don't know-Never have that issue with real BP.

The wanna-b stuff clumps up bad.

OLG

It sure does clump but it is odd I don't have the issue with loading my rifle and pistol rounds on my D650's.  

3 minutes ago, Captain Black Hand said:

It sure does clump but it is odd I don't have the issue with loading my rifle and pistol rounds on my D650's.  

Wipe the inside of the PM etc with some 90% ISP alcohol.

OLG

• 2 weeks later...

I use an OLD Mec 600 Jr when I make up BP shotshells.  I have a MUCH less expensive and simpler machine to clean after loading (to make sure all the BP dust is cleaned out of the system). 

Wouldn't load BP/subs in an $800+ machine on a bet, myself.  Save it for high volume smokeless shells.

Good luck, GJ

if i understand correctly the spolar is essentially the same as a pontius waren unit , parts are interchangeable i think , but i suspect that service comes from the place of mfgr and i know the latter to be excellent i suspect you would find the same at the former , please correct me if i am wrong , 

I have a P-W and it is very nice, but it isn't a Spolar.  As I understand the rumors the people who make Spolar used to be at P-W and took the good ideas and made them better. I don't know if any parts interchange as P-W has made changes to their presses over the years.  The P-W is by far the Second best press in my opinion, but it can be a bit finicky.

Archived