SASS Wire Forum

A bittersweet moment

Creeker, SASS #43022

At the end of 2018; the current Board of the Eldorado Cowboys are stepping down to allow for new leadership.  

As such; I will be relinquishing my position as President and Match Director.

So, I'm sitting here tonight; having just finished writing the December match.

And nostaglia has just kind of set in and I hope you will indulge me for a moment...

I began shooting cowboy in late 1999.

In 2001; I became the Match Director for Desert Desperados in Las Vegas; assisting my good friend Buffalo Sam with the duties of running that club until 2010.

I also wrote a few matches for the Silver City club, the Pahrump Cowboys and the Nevada Rangers.

In 2006; I began assisting the Eldorado Cowboys with monthly match writing.

And in 2008; officially became Match Director and Vice President.

I served two, two year terms as Vice President and in 2012 became club President and at the completion of 2018 will have served three terms.

In these years; I have been fortunate enough to serve and work of behalf of Eldorado with:

Dolly Doublebarrel

Shooting Bull

Boxherder

Charming

JD Nevada

Nevada Skye

And with much appreciated assistance from Rattler John now just Rattler - Territorial Governor.

I figured one time, that between 12 stages a month for Eldorado; 6 stages a month for Desert Desperados and the other miscellaneous matches; that over my time as a Match Director I have written somewhere around 2800 stages.

Thru these 2800 stages; it has been my sincere desire to create a reputation for Southern Nevada of having big, close and most importantly, fun matches.

It has not always been easy; I have argued and debated about CAS philosophy, attitudes and direction. 

In the heat of a moment; I have said things I have regretted and I have hurt people's feelings that deserved better from me. 

But everything I have ever done; was always to make our game better.

And with the support of various Board members, club members and visiting shooters; over the last 18 years, I think we have made the game better.

Thank you for your kindness and indulgence.

It has been an honor to serve you.

I know it's a tough decision to make.  I have made it myself at least 3 times in the last 10 or so years.  Then *BAM* the replacement can no longer do it and back I go.  Currently, we are working hard to support a cowboy that has volunteered to take on the monthly matches while I concentrate on our state match.  It's been working and I sure hope it continues.  This time we are wading into the replacement game slowly and working to more or less train some of our more enthusiastic volunteers to step of and take over key roles. 

Your statement about "debating CAS philosophy, attitudes and direction" rings true, especially when those you are arguing with might only shoot at one club and have never attended larger matches, etc.  While new ideas are great, we cannot step away from the fundamentals of the game either.  It's a balancing act for sure.

Good luck and thanks for all you did for the game!

Howdy Creeker.

I sure hope you don't retire from the Wire.

As a Wire Pard, and thru some of our PM's, you have always been a good friend to me.

Whenever I have noticed a post from you, I read it.   And usually, I learn something from your comments.

You have obviously done well in your positions of leadership and stage writing, of which SASS 

needs more like you.

Thanks for all you have done.

Personally speaking, I suspect you will serve again in the future as a club officer, stage writer, etc.....

Its in your blood.

For now, enjoy a little rest..... but don't retire from the Wire.

With Best Wishes,

..........Widder

Creeker,

Although I only got a small piece of Eldorado, it looked to me like you are very good at pulling off a big match. I know all of the people I was with really enjoyed it. I hope to get to shoot with you again.

Good Luck

Jax T

:ph34r:  Well, we expect/plan to attend Eldorado 2019 anyway......   Your club can't outrun the legacy you've created.

And we expect to see you there, shootin'....

Thanks for all you've added to the sport!

Bad AND Goode Bascomb

Yo Creeker sorry to hear this stepping but acknowledge as to same. Been there at certain times my self not just cowboy but in Law Enforcement / Criminal Justice system, Corrections. F.O.P. boards and etc.

What ever you do keep in touch via wire or what ever and do hope to see you on the trails some where in time.

Best to you pilgrim;

Jackrabbit Joe

Darn it, Creeker!

Just as I decided you were one of the good guys! ;)

We've had our tiffs over the years. :o Through them, I've learned that you are a well-spoken (written) person of strong convictions, who will admit when he is wrong. You've earned my respect. :)

I just attended the NV State match, where you were MD. Bravo for a job well done! Part of the MD's job is having a good crew. You have one of the best. That is a reflection on your ability to delegate and allow people to do their jobs. Or, at least that is how it seemed to me, as a shooter.

Sincerely,

Allie Mo

As such its a bittersweet moment for many of us as well..  I am sorry to see you step down but happy the some of the load will be lifted from your poor old sagging shoulders:P.  Your shoes will be hard to fill.  Enjoy your rest hope to see you soon.

Creeker who??????  HEHEHEHE. 

Just wanted you to know that even though I'm new to this, I have enjoyed the stages that you've written and I've shot.  Fun and challenging--I even managed to learn a lot, and some would say that ain't easy.  Thanks for the hard work!

In my opinion the El Dorado Cowboys have always been one of the top clubs in SASS, and it has been my honor to be their TG.

It is extremely difficult for me to see you step away from the board, I understand the reasons that you gave me but it’s still very tough to accept! :(

Maybe now we’ll be able to shoot together a little more often.

4 hours ago, Rattler said:

In my opinion the El Dorado Cowboys have always been one of the top clubs in SASS, and it has been my honor to be their TG.

It is extremely difficult for me to see you step away from the board, I understand the reasons that you gave me but it’s still very tough to accept! :(

Maybe now we’ll be able to shoot together a little more often.

Just shoot together? 

Lest you forget.

The girls; Painted Lady and Desert Scorpion want to remind you, that at some point, we are going to Hawaii together.  

Thank you everyone for your kind words.

I am not quitting cowboy.

Nor am I retiring from the Wire.

I am simply stepping aside locally and allowing others the same opportunity, as I enjoyed for so long, to impart their spin on the game.

I am hoping to travel a little more; return to some of the big shoots and experience our game in a way that I have not for a long time.

I have made life long friends in this game.

I have no intention of giving those up.

See you on the range.

Archived