SASS Wire Forum

do new model Rugers get 'ruger ring' ?

Throckmorton,23149

Trying to talk a friend into a Ruger for plinking, he HATES 'Ruger ring' like the old models all got. Do the new model Rugers still get that bolt drag ring ?

thanks !

Yes.  The Rugers are designed to ensure the proper lock-up by allowing for the ring. 

A Gunsmith can change that but youhave to ensure they are still properly timed to make sure they lock up.  Not worth it to me, but some will do that to avoid the ring.

Howdy

It took me a little bit to understand what you were asking about.

Yes.  The bolt is designed to pop up on a Ruger a bit earlier than on a Colt or clone. This means it will leave a partial ring. Ruger designed them this way on purpose to make sure the cylinder did not throw by. It never bothered me much. This New Vaquero has only been shot a little, but it is developing a ring.

New%20Vaquero%2045%2001_zpst1wrh4ar.jpg

This stainless 'original model' Vaquero has been shot quite a lot.  The partial ring never bothered me.

Logo_original_Vaquero_zpst1mywze4.jpg

I bought this Blackhawk brand-spanky new in 1975.  The ring has never bothered me much.

turnlineBlackhawk02modified_zps7f09bddf.

A ring was common on the Three Screws too.

Three%20Screw%20357%20Magnum%2006_zps8sl

2 hours ago, Throckmorton,23149 said:

thanks all, I kind of figured it did have the ring. as I say he HATES !!!!! it, lol. Might go stainless tho. 

thanks again

I HATE high taxes, the ring not so much! ;)

4 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I check GB daily for bargains.  One ad for a used Uberti Cattleman had in the description,  "has the usual cylinder ring".  Ahh,  no. Not "usual" with Colt or clones.  <_<

There's a listing in the classifieds forum with the same description (probably the same seller).

I thought about inquiring what he meant, but decided not to. <_<

Warden, the owner did not know how to prevent the ring on a Colt. When you unload a Colt, you need to come to a half cock. Always come to full cock on a Colt and clone to set up the bolt/cylinder stop to index properly when hammer is lowered. And if you want to take the time, index the Ruger cylinder manually so the bolt/cylinder stop is in the notch before you close the gate.

1 hour ago, Red Cent said:

Warden, the owner did not know how to prevent the ring on a Colt. When you unload a Colt, you need to come to a half cock. Always come to full cock on a Colt and clone to set up the bolt/cylinder stop to index properly when hammer is lowered. And if you want to take the time, index the Ruger cylinder manually so the bolt/cylinder stop is in the notch before you close the gate.

The gun was first use as a quick draw gun. Note the taller hammer.   My brother-in-law traded a U.S. marked Colt SAA for it back in about 1968.   It was well worn by then.  My brother-in-law shot it a lot and he knew how to load it.  He just didn't realize that parts were worn out and bolt was dragging.  We got it from his estate.  

34 minutes ago, Buffalo Bill Mathewson, 37826 said:

I know some of you hate to see that ugly cylinder ring. If you have real Colts or Rugers with that nasty ugly ring PM me and I may be able to take them off your hands at no charge to you. If you have a reasonable FFL on your end I may even pay some of the shipping and FFL fees.

Howdy Again

If you think I am going to send you this Bisley Colt because it has a little bit of a turn line on it, well, you can just whistle Dixie.

Turn%20Line_zpswjgbusff.jpg

Red Cent:

Yes, I know how to avoid a turn line on a Colt. Apparently somebody else did not sometime in the last 111 years.

1 hour ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Howdy Again

If you think I am going to send you this Bisley Colt because it has a little bit of a turn line on it, well, you can just whistle Dixie.

Turn%20Line_zpswjgbusff.jpg

Red Cent:

Yes, I know how to avoid a turn line on a Colt. Apparently somebody else did not sometime in the last 111 years.

I was just letting everyone know they have an option. After all it is the cowboy way to help others in distress.

I have Old Model Rugers that have NO ring on them. I have a pair of 1950's Flattops that are my main match guns and have almost no ring with thousands of round thru them. The secret is to ALWAYS take to full cock before letting the hammer down. The 50's and early 60's Rugers were timed correctly. Because the transfer bars in the New Models and Old Models with the "safety conversion" required a lot more work at the factory to time correctly, Ruger opted to have the cylinder lock drop early. Hence the Ruger ring.

Between the rust from my hands on the back straps, the holster wear, the dings from hitting the ground (once just the guns and the other time I went with em'....lol), bumping other guns or props you hardly notice the cylinder ring after years of use. SASS is tough on guns.  

510-77643 510-77644.JPG

Why not go with stainless guns and have them engraved with the ring as part of the decoration? Watch the ring disappear into the engraving

Imis 

Archived