SASS Wire Forum

Craigslist???

Dorado

Never used it before. Craigslist that is. I found something (boat) that I've been wanting for some time now and for a great price and condition. I emailed the seller about it but haven't heard back. It's been a week. For those of you that's done this before. How long have y'all waited to hear back from a seller? I first messaged him a couple of hours after he posted it.

I usually get responses within 24 hours. Actually can't remember not getting a response within 24 hours. If it had gone 2 days I'd try again, unless it was a holiday, but I'd still think a week is too long.

I'm thinking that with Thanksgiving that maybe they're out of town. I've sent a couple of messages. No response. I really want this boat. It's just about perfect for what I've been wanting and I can't beat the price. Ad it still up so maybe they haven't sold it. No other way of contacting them other than email and that's through the Craigslist service not direct email.

Craigslist is like Armslist... plenty of scammers (and worse) on there. Never go meet a buyer or seller alone, and arrange it in a public place if you can. If you're the buyer of a big-ticket item you're especially vulnerable because they know you'll be bringing lots of cash with you. If possible arrange to meet at a local branch of your bank and have a check cut for them instead.

15 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Craigslist is like Armslist... plenty of scammers (and worse) on there. Never go meet a buyer or seller alone, and arrange it in a public place if you can. If you're the buyer of a big-ticket item you're especially vulnerable because they know you'll be bringing lots of cash with you. If possible arrange to meet at a local branch of your bank and have a check cut for them instead.

THIS +100000000000000000

IF they list a phone # google it. I have found more than one scammer that way.

Dorado, you may be right about the holiday week.  Also, as the fella above noted, your message may have ended up in a spam bucket, especially if you just clicked on the "Reply" button at the top.  If you did, your message went through the CL system and may or may not get through. 

Look carefully at the screen... often some at random place there will be another "button" that will say show contact info. Click on it and it will give you direct contact information, like email address and possibly phone number.

Good luck!  

Most of the time they respond within a day.  I have had an occasion where the dude posted the ad, got busy with out of town work immediately and messaged me a week later.  He acted like he wasn't expecting responses so quick. 

But if he hasn't answered yet, move one.  There's nothing else you can do.  He mighta changed his mind or he mighta sold it 10 minutes before you responded. 

By the way... what kind of boat?  

I got my sailboat off Craigslist... similar thing; I messaged the fella and didn't hear back for over a week.  Guy told me he decided he didn't want to sell, then called me a month later and said he was ready and gave me a deal I couldn't pass on.

3 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

....... plenty of scammers on there. Never go meet a buyer or seller alone, and arrange it in a public place if you can. ...............

As a seller, you do not need people knowing where you live nor what other valuables you might have laying around.

Howdy,

I often watch the court tv shows. Craigslist is mentioned a LOT.

These aren't your SASS pards, no way.

Of course GOOD transactions don't get put on court tv, right?????

Best

CR

Im on Craigslist everyday .

I even post  Ads regularly.

I have even bought and Sold  many things off Craigslist .

If the seller dont post a Phone and a Pic  Number on there ad .

I just move on .

ps.

To many scammers and If they dont post a number and a Pic .

Then they really dont want to sell something .

IMHO

Rooster    

9 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I'll have to go alone. But I will be armed. Not a huge amount of money though which is good. If I go I'll meet him in a public place like Wal-Mart.

9 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

As a seller on CL, the anonymous email system can get filtered into the spam folder.  I would email again, be polite but let them know it is your second attempt.  

That's what I'm thinking as well. I'm going to be patient but I've just about fallen for this boat.

6 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

By the way... what kind of boat?  

I got my sailboat off Craigslist... similar thing; I messaged the fella and didn't hear back for over a week.  Guy told me he decided he didn't want to sell, then called me a month later and said he was ready and gave me a deal I couldn't pass on.

Sailboat. It's a trailer sailer that I can pull behind my smaller truck. Big enough for me to spend an extended weekend on. Small enough to not have anyone beg to tag along. Comes with trailer and outboard. If I get it I'll be doing a lot of camping trips out of it.

Very cool ~ that sounds like a TON of fun! I hope you get it!  big-grin.gif

But I gotta ask... "Sailboat" covers a lot of territory; there are two on trailers in my back yard.  So what kind of sailboat?    :)

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Very cool ~ that sounds like a TON of fun! I hope you get it!  big-grin.gif

But I gotta ask... "Sailboat" covers a lot of territory; there are two on trailers in my back yard.  So what kind of sailboat?    :)

West Wight Potter 15. I'd prefer something bigger but then I'd have to use my big truck and that entails explaining why I got the boat to get away from everyone. Something like the P15, no explaining just sailing and camping.

VERY cool!  I do hope you get it...!  big-grin.gif

Read the Wiki page ~ this was eye-catching:

The West Wight Potter 15 set many notable records including sailing single-handed from Seattle to Ketchikan, from Mexico to Hawaii across the Pacific, and from England to Sweden across the North Sea.

Mexico to Hawaii??  surprised.gif

I had to look that one up...  Mexico to Hawaii -- the P-15 Sail of John Van Ruth

Crazy... but surely a testament to the craft's seaworthiness!  

4 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

VERY cool!  I do hope you get it...!  big-grin.gif

Read the Wiki page ~ this was eye-catching:

Mexico to Hawaii??  surprised.gif

I had to look that one up...  Mexico to Hawaii -- the P-15 Sail of John Van Ruth

Crazy... but surely a testament to the craft's seaworthiness!  

Yup! Someone sailed the full length of the Mississippi in one, and even crossed the gulf stream headed for the Bahamas. I like the idea of sailing the ICW from Texas all the way up and back in one. Gotta get it first. Even willing to pay his asking price. (Which says a lot!)

The designer wanted to sail from England to the US and came up with the first one. He got so many requests for them that he ended up going into business making them.

30 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

I like Craigs list, sailboats...not so much

Imis

Well I've got a fishing boat, a ski boat, and a float tube. I might as well have a sailboat. I've been wanting one since I was a kid. Been sailing on a friend's boat a few times and loved it. I just enjoy being out on the water and this is a good way that I can spend a day or three out there without breaking the bank on gas prices. Heck this one even comes with a small outboard.

On November 24, 2018 at 11:30 PM, sassnetguy50 said:

As a seller on CL, the anonymous email system can get filtered into the spam folder.  I would email again, be polite but let them know it is your second attempt.  

I found a 4-wheeler at a good price.  They would shipped it to me, all I had to do is deposit the money with a eBay secured site.  A search on the VIN showed the same pictured ATV for sale in 5 different sites.  Back and forth Emails and the "Seller" lost their cool with me.  I had fun.  When I said I'd be in their State during the holiday, I'd looked it over, save them the shipping cost and pay cash, they really lost it!

Also beware that the seller maybe setting up to rob you instead.  Cash only requirement, they will know you have the money on you when to go to pick up your great deal.

54 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

I found a 4-wheeler at a good price.  They would shipped it to me, all I had to do is deposit the money with a eBay secured site.  A search on the VIN showed the same pictured ATV for sale in 5 different sites.  Back and forth Emails and the "Seller" lost their cool with me.  I had fun.  When I said I'd be in their State during the holiday, I'd looked it over, save them the shipping cost and pay cash, they really lost it!

Also beware that the seller maybe setting up to rob you instead.  Cash only requirement, they will know you have the money on you when to go to pick up your great deal.

If they're setting me up to rob me, then they're in for a surprise! A .45 caliber surprise! Still haven't heard back from the seller. Probably a done deal elsewhere. I'll save up and see if I can get me another one at another time.  Shame If this panned out I would have a heck of a good time in it.

I know a guy in town that always sets up the meetings at the visitors parking in front of the RCMP Detachment.  He said that he only ever had one no show.

9 hours ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

I know a guy in town that always sets up the meetings at the visitors parking in front of the RCMP Detachment.  He said that he only ever had one no show.

That's a good idea! Smart man.

Dorado:

Most everything about Craigslist and dealing with sellers has been said. :wacko:

Concerning scammers; however, there are a lot of them out there. :angry:

When my wife and I were looking for a travel trailer (before we decided on a Class B+ Motor Home), we used Craigslist almost exclusively.

Being the investigative guy I am, I did my share of research before actually meeting with someone that we were going to consider their trailer.

Campers, travel trailers and RV's are one of the biggest area's for scammers to try and get your money. :o

The most prominent scam is the out of state person who lists the trailer on your local Craigslist. When you contact them, they, typically a woman, will tell you that they are out of state, a spouse has passed and they have no need for it anymore. They will post lots of pictures; however, none will be of the inside of the unit. (I wonder why? :ph34r:)

They will even agree to have the trailer hauled to your location by a shipping company and they will pay to have that done.

Here are some of the things that you should look for regarding scammers:

1. They only leave the Craigslist email;
  2. Look for spelling errors - indicative of either a foreign or uneducated source;
  3. The price is outrageously good, or doesn't equate to the product being sold;
  4. Pictures are not included when it involves the inside of what they are selling;
  5. Beware of STOCK photos of an item, which could indicate they do not actually have one;
  6. and obviously the send me money first and you will get the product!

TRUE STORY

Our search for a travel trailer put me on the trail of a cute unit that would be perfect for just the two of us.

Pictures were scarce and they almost looked like they were taken off the Internet.

Communication was only through email and the woman stated that the trailer belonged to her brother who had passed away.

She gave the story of paying to have it shipped to us.

When I inquired as to where the trailer was located, she did provide the city and state, but no address.

Being the sleuth that I am, I then researched on the Internet and low and behold, I actually was able to find the trailer....wait for it....sitting on the lot of an RV dealership. Further research revealed that , yes the pictures were actually taken from their website! :wacko:

Knowing this was a scam, it was time to have some FUN. :D

I found a small city about an hour from where she stated she lived.

Emailed her and said I had a relative that lived there and I could have her meet with her to get her opinion of the condition of the trailer so I could decide whether to purchase it or not. Well, it turns out the trailer was being kept in a warehouse and was not accessible for viewing.

Emailed her on my findings and that her post was a SCAM and that I would be having it removed from Craigslist, which I promptly did.

I was great knowing I trapped her in her own deceit! :lol:

Just be safe whenever you are dealing with strangers.

My father and I bought a truck camper from a "too good to be true" ebay listing. Turned out fine on that. Hoping my luck will pan out and I can get this boat on the same deal.

I buy and sell on Craigslist, and I gotta say, Craigslist people or some of the worst for communicating I have ever seen. Worse even than e-bay. I e-mail them to say I am interested in whatever it is, and I am lucky if they EVER respond, let alone in a timely manner. And sometimes I show up and what they have is NOT what was shown in the pics. So be very careful. That being said, I still use Craigslist as at least the items are usually local and can be checked out before I purchase. And I still find deals, if I am patient.

Archived