SASS Wire Forum

USFA RODEOS

Clipcasey37

I bought 2 USFA RODEOS from Longhunter in 2005. Consecutively numbered LH117 & LH118 . I think these are pure American . It’s a little confusing. Can anyone tell by looking at the pictures. 

Thinking of selling, beautiful shape

DE265276-A22E-4131-8400-B07C8F469080.jpeg

DF41B2A6-BC5A-4B6E-8444-5BE8730F690B.jpeg

29D98159-93DA-4138-BE70-4EBBCCFA0F0B.jpeg

01F2F380-B33A-4EDB-83FA-2F76F619FCBA.jpeg

A59556B9-9E0B-4CC6-AC68-39248092A261.jpeg

2 hours ago, Turquoise Bill, SASS #39118 said:

By the time USFA was producing the Rodeos, they were made with all American parts!

TB

That’s incorrect. Any rodeo with a B in front will be uberti parts. I do believe all of the long hunter ones were USA made, but I don’t know for certain. 

Rodeo's made for Longhunter were later production and U.S. made

Early Rodeos with an A or B prefix had Uberti Parts 

3 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

The only thing consistent about usfa is the inconsistency, especially concerning the use of parts. 

No inconsistency, it's been explained by two other people in this post! Check for the prefix!

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

No inconsistency, it's been explained by two other people in this post! Check for the prefix!

Oh that’s correct. Except when it isn’t. The reason there is so much ambiguity regarding USFA is because the company continually lied or told half truths about the USA/uberti made parts. I have seen guns that fell within what most people consider the USA made range that still had some uberti parts. 

You're right Redwood, unlike the highly regarded Colt

who's using other folks parts as we speak to include frames and small parts.....HA!!!!

They even sent a forum member here a letter stating his Colt's that he ordered were further delayed

while they were waiting on their "supplier" for frames. Who is their supplier ????

USFA started slow ( using Uberti parts), then went whole hog producing the finest SAA's ever made

bar none including COLT. They didin't lie,  they  said US made , well they were US made with

Uberti parts....know how many 1911's are US made with Philippino  parts??

LATER USFA's Rodeo's AFTER the D series were 100% made as were all Premier SAA's after 22,500.

The Rodeo 2's , the gunslinger, etc were again all 100% made.

It's a matter of "know what you're buying" or heck try asking for clarification which is what this cowpoke did.

If you're going to buy / invest in higher end guns do your homework.

Happy Holidays to all

I've had a couple pards ask me about these privately so I'll say this.....his best recourse is to contact Long Hunter.

That said I don't believe the early LH guns were 100% American , but I could be wrong.

He bought them in 05 which is one  the questionable years

If I am wrong I apologize.

2 hours ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

You're right Redwood, unlike the highly regarded Colt

who's using other folks parts as we speak to include frames and small parts.....HA!!!!

They even sent a forum member here a letter stating his Colt's that he ordered were further delayed

while they were waiting on their "supplier" for frames. Who is their supplier ????

USFA started slow ( using Uberti parts), then went whole hog producing the finest SAA's ever made

bar none including COLT. They didin't lie,  they  said US made , well they were US made with

Uberti parts....know how many 1911's are US made with Philippino  parts??

LATER USFA's Rodeo's AFTER the D series were 100% made as were all Premier SAA's after 22,500.

The Rodeo 2's , the gunslinger, etc were again all 100% made.

It's a matter of "know what you're buying" or heck try asking for clarification which is what this cowpoke did.

If you're going to buy / invest in higher end guns do your homework.

Happy Holidays to all

I’m not real sure where Colt came into the conversation, but for what it’s worth I was also contacted by colt in a custom order and the frames being outsourced is true. What I didn’t know was that Colt has been outsourcing the frames for the entirety of the third and second generation guns. 

1 hour ago, Clipcasey37 said:

Yeah, more guns than money. All ready having separation anxiety 

Then I’d recommend selling something that is still made and not something never to be made again that is still so passionately argued about.

Just my .02 cents, worth less than that.

19 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

Oh that’s correct. Except when it isn’t. The reason there is so much ambiguity regarding USFA is because the company continually lied or told half truths about the USA/uberti made parts. I have seen guns that fell within what most people consider the USA made range that still had some uberti parts. 

They lied???:blink:

On 11/25/2018 at 5:17 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

They lied???:blink:

It's pretty common knowledge at this point. It's not some double secret conspiracy theory you have to go onto the dark web to discover. A little google-fu and you will find out everything you wanted to know. The abridged version is basically that they came out originally with uspfa and claimed that their single actions were made in the USA. Well then folks found out that they were Uberti parts and they backtracked to they meant assembled in the USA. They lost the USPFA and became USFA (some say Colt sued them over the patent name, but I can't confirm that), moving into the old Colt space. Then the claim became all US made with the original Colt equipment. Again this wasn't entirely true, as they were still getting parts from Uberti. Eventually they went to all USA made parts and claimed that this time they were also making everything to first gen colt specs, again not true. They eventually did make a few models that were true to Colt specs, but long after they claimed to be doing so. See a pattern here? They (Donnelly) were constantly making claims and then only after discovered to be false did they follow through with those. The really sad thing is that there was no reason to lie about any of it. Even with the uberti parts, they were putting out a superior product to Colt at the time, and only got better. Many claim that Colt's renewed vigor to making their SAA better was in large part due to the success of USFA. Toward the end, USFA was making so much of a better single action, that they were losing money on every one.

Why should I care where a properly forged, dimensioned, and hardened part came from?   Presumably, the manufacturer supported the product.  And, presumably, parts available today meet those same standards should something need replacement.  Again, why should I care?  I've really pounded on some Uberti guns over the past two decades and nothing has ever broken.

Very interesting history of smoke and mirrors . I’ve read that Donnelly was a little eccentric , (maybe more than a little )

I guess the bottom line is the quality wasn’t compromised, but the credibility was

16 minutes ago, August West, SASS #45079 said:

Why should I care where a properly forged, dimensioned, and hardened part came from?   Presumably, the manufacturer supported the product.  And, presumably, parts available today meet those same standards should something need replacement.  Again, why should I care?  I've really pounded on some Uberti guns over the past two decades and nothing has ever broken.

Well I can't disagree with that. I recently purchased one of those Man with no name uberti's with the snake grips on them. It came with the new internal hammer firing pin safety, so I swapped it out for one of the older hammers. I also put in a lightened mainspring. The trigger on that gun might be the best I have seen on any gun straight out of the box. Well it turns out the little gun is also really accurate. $600 gun, plus $100 in parts, so $700 for a great shooting and beautiful looking gun ain't a bad proposition at all.

I had a pair of Rodeos when they first came out, I got deal on them and used 'em for a backup to my Colts. They were good guns and well worth the money and I didn't really care where the parts were made! I sold them to get $$$ for another Colt. They were $595.00 retail back then!:o

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:09 PM, Redwood Kid said:

One thing that doesn’t come up enough when discussing rodeos is the fact that they are the absolute perfect engraving candidates. They make great bbq guns

do not....  :rolleyes:

All LH serial numbered,  Rodeos shown below :D   FWIW the LH guns are a big step above the  typical USFA Rodeo and worth more as shooters IMO.   And the typical Rodeo is a heck of a shooter right out of the box!

hoppy.jpg

DSC01676.JPG

DSC09138.JPG

Archived