SASS Wire Forum

Western Style Leather Belt and Holster

Dragondj11

I'm not a cowboy action shooter, but would really figure you all are the experts for my question.  I bought an old ruger blackhawk 357 five and half inch barrel, for my son last year.  I want to get him a decent western style leather belt and holster for it.  

He is sixteen, and obviously as he continues to grow, this rig May not last beyond a few years for him.   

So that in mind, I don't want cheap costume crap, but would like something nice that won't exceed two hundred all combined.  

What would be your recommendations?

Thank you for your help

I think for a quality gun belt and single holster that will last a lifetime, you're going to be looking at a starting price of $250 (new).

Black Hills Leather

Cochise Leather

Kirkpatrick Leather

Knights Leather

Mernickle Leather

Ted Blocker Leather

Whyte Leather

JM Leather

Be aware, few if any of the above will have holsters/belts in stock.

If you want a decent holster to knock around in and not break the bank, you can pick up a Triple K holster and belt.  Not finest quality but good for holding a revolver securely.

Many gun stores have a box of used holsters for sale really cheap.  Check them out.    I would avoid getting a buscadero rig, instead get a holster that will slide onto a “regular “ belt.  As his  waist size changes, he could still use the holster.

20 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

Check the Black Friday sale at El Paso Saddlery. With the discount, I think you will be within budget.

Is there a coupon code that gives the discount?  I'm not seeing a black Friday discount on the site. 

4 minutes ago, Dragondj11 said:

Is there a coupon code that gives the discount?  I'm not seeing a black Friday discount on the site. 

BLACKFRIDAY18 for 20% off. Delivery guaranteed before Christmas.

I have bought from Reddog Leather on Ebay. He does fantastic work in your price range. Email him if you can't find what you want on Ebay, he will work with you. https://www.ebay.com/sch/dnegel231/m.html?item=362489749608&hash=item546612a068%3Ag%3AbCEAAOSwKfVXEQhH%3Ark%3A10%3Apf%3A0&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

A descent holster should run just under $100.  A good quality holster should last for years, if the leather is properly cared for (not a difficult thing to do).  Depending on the vendor and if and how many cartridge loops you want, that can run anywhere from under $60 for a plain (no cartridge loops) 1-3/4: wide belt, to around $76 for a belt and buckle, plus $1.40 per cartridge loop.  As far as the size is concerned, sometimes a belt can be made that will be long enough until he is fully grown.  Just depends on his build, and how likely he is to pick up a lot of beef.  Of course various makers' prices will differ. 

4 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

As far as the size is concerned, sometimes a belt can be made that will be long enough until he is fully grown.  Just depends on his build, and how likely he is to pick up a lot of beef.  Of course various makers' prices will differ. 

Or if you order a ranger style belt with a little longer overlap, a new longer billet can be made as he grows.

He needs a double buckle.

IMG_0202.JPG

Archived