SASS Wire Forum

camera/monitor

Red Cent

Ignorant: lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about a particular thing.

I am looking for something to give me situational awareness while I am holed up in the reloading shop. I have a movement noisemaker that rings in the shop. However I would like to have a picture. I like pictures.

Is there a cheap camera (wired or wireless) out there than can be hooked to a smart phone and provide a constant picture ?

PM Ace Of Hearts, that’s his business and he’ll steer you in the right direction. One piece af advice he gave out on another thread is not to run your video over WiFi because of the potential of it being hacked into.

Crushed light bulbs on the floor, barbed wire across the entrance with soup cans tied on with a small pebble in each. Mount a shotgun above the doorway pointed at the entrance with a tripwire tied to the trigger. That should keep everybody out while you're reloading. Just don't blow away the UPS man by mistake because he brings gifts.

Seriously, check out Harbor Freight. They have a couple of cheap security camera systems for sale that might work.

The door is locked from the inside and there is a 1911 with extra mags nearby. Every time the motion detector beeps, makes me wonder if it is a cowboy or a zombie outside. Both windows have air conditioners in them. Might need to put in some gun ports. 

Reloading shop.jpg

If you have high speed internet available close by (withing 100 feet or so), Look into the Arlo cameras which can be purchased from Amazon.

They are manufactured by netgear and are very reliable.

https://www.amazon.com/Arlo-NETGEAR-Security-System-Siren/dp/B01LR8PG6Q/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1543022236&sr=1-3&keywords=arlo+pro

For $275.00 you get 2 cameras (720p) mounts, base station, and 7 days cloud video storage at no charge. Comes with rechargeable batteries so that there are no wires to run even for power. Cameras are weatherproof. Cameras use true infrared motion detection and have night vision. emails video to your phone and/or sounds alarm at base station. Sensitivity is adjustable.

Easy to install. Can be view on any apple/android smart phone from anywhere. You can also view from your home/office computer.

You can even talk to the intruder and advise him of how good a shot you are.

:o

Howdy,

Seems like a feed direct to a cellphone would be terriffical.

I bought a drone toy and got emails hip deep about all sorts

of new electronics.

It was just hard to make out which worked with what.

False alarms are the enemy.

I bought a good radar detector about 20 years ago. Worked great.

A friend who went cheep on everything, got a cheep one and it 

beeped ALL the time in the suburbs.

He sent his back, I learned a lot about how radar gets used.

I just no longer feel any need to speed on open roads.

The trick is coming into a town.

Drive past a sign and you may instantly be 25 mph over.  outch.

Best

CR

2 solutions that are very inexpensive and available from Amazon.

Read the reviews and the biggest complaint is that the cameras are not totally waterproof. Easy to fix with a little masking tape and Plasti-Dip.

TVIRD Backup Camera and Monitor Wireless Car Rear View System Night Vision IR Reversing Rear View Camera +Foldable 4.3'' Color HD LCD Monitor Parking. $14.99

Backup Camera and Monitor Kit For Car,Universal Wired Waterproof Rear-view License Plate Car Rear Backup Camera + 4.3 LCD Rear View Monitor $25.99

The camera would be placed tight up under the roof overhang. The cameras are exposed to the elements on a car. How would they last on a car? Isn't there a cheap plug in AC to DC something? Neat idea. 

45 minutes ago, Red Cent said:

The camera would be placed tight up under the roof overhang. The cameras are exposed to the elements on a car. How would they last on a car? Isn't there a cheap plug in AC to DC something? Neat idea. 

I usually find plug in AC to DC power supplies (wall warts) at thrift stores for about a dollar. Often old computer power supplies will also work.

I figure out how much current I need and then get one the correct size. When I go shopping for one I will often buy a couple of extras and put them in the 20 year bin in my garage.

• 2 weeks later...

Told my son of your interest.  He has the Blink-xt home security camera system, motion detection, hd video available from Best Buy for $191.99.....comes with 3 cameras    GW

14 minutes ago, Outlaw Gambler said:

kBlink-xt is only rated for -4 degrees. probably not a good one for Wisconsin

True, but OP is not from that far north.   GW

Harbor Freight has a cheap set-up. Four cameras and a DVR for about $225. Get a 32" flat screen from a pawn shop for $100 and you'd be set. The system lets you monitor all four cameras at once on the TV, or any one fullscreen with the click of a mouse.

It looks by your pic that you'd have the wall space to mount one about that size, and you could see a LOT more on that than a phone. 

Talked to my son about cameras, Wi Fi, and receiving devises and was sent :o a camera and a Wi Fi extender. Thank you folks for all the ideas. Did it cheaper than I thought I would.

Archived