SASS Wire Forum

Shortening a 1866 barrel length

WymoreWrangler SASS 46187L

I've got an 1866 rifle with the standard 24 1/4 inch barrel, and I prefer the 20 inch length.  My gunsmith has given me a very reasonable price to bob the barrel to 20 inches, but I'm wondering if anyone has had a problem with doing it????  Thanks in advance for any information....

Had same problem.  Local guy told me $100 thought was reasonable but changed my mind.   He didn't see any problems     GW

As long as they realize the mag tube holder dovetail is not a straight dovetail but a rounded/locking dovetail. Not everyone is set up to do those. If you don't know what I mean, just pull the mag tube and holder.

I started with a '92 and fairly quickly went to a '73... and an identical backup. Early on, I thought I liked the 24" barrel, but as time went on, I found I preferred something shorter, so... out came the hacksaw, square, tubing cutter, draw file, file card, needle files, etc. The worst part was cutting the sight dovetail - pretty tedious without a dovetail guide.

1873_44-40.JPG

1873FrontSight.jpg

You bet....in my earlier days of CAS, Cody did a number of mods on  24"  73s for me.  One particular modification I liked was to cut the barrel to 19" and install a roll crown.  He usually took some metal off area under forearm also.  Through the years bet he did 6-8 of them and I still have three of them.  In last  few years I have had two 20" 73s cut to 18" (and lightened) for Sassy, one Boomstick Jay did and one Snake Oil George did.   I'd say "go for it"  on your '66...as long as you choose a well recommended CAS gunsmith. 

Maybe try shooting it first. I have 2 73's right now...one with 24 1/2 and one with 20. I find myself more accurate with the longer barrel than the shorter one. The short one has become my backup. And I have another 24 1/2 coming...

One of the coolest rifles (IMO) I have seen is a 24 cut to 18. The forearm on the 24 inch guns is longer so when cut to 18 they have a totally different look than a stock 18 inch 73.  It's more work.....but it's been done. 

On 11/23/2018 at 9:14 AM, Old Man Graybeard said:

Maybe try shooting it first. I have 2 73's right now...one with 24 1/2 and one with 20. I find myself more accurate with the longer barrel than the shorter one. The short one has become my backup. And I have another 24 1/2 coming...

I've had this 66 for almost 17 years now, but it has been relegated to my backup rifle as I much prefer my 20 inch deluxe 73 border rifle...

Archived