SASS Wire Forum

guess i can't trade a Garand for a kimber

Trigger Mike

I have out off buying a Kimber hunting rifle for years now.  My local dealer had one in 3006 two years ago but someone else bought it while I hesitated.  Looked at the 308 version the other day and the owner (who lives down the road from me and whose grandfather farmed the land I live on now) heard me ask about 3006 so he got a Kimber 84M in 3006 which is the budget version for 899.  Since I am old and don't want to add to my collection and am old and hate spending money I took an extra M1 Garand to see how he would do.  In a small town there are a few military collectors but not a lot.  Military arms do not seem to go well around here like they did when I lived near Atlanta.  I took in a Springfield with correct 7-43 barrel, prod, trigger group and bolt and such and told the son the only part I knew for sure was not original was the safety.  HE asked how did I know and I told him it is marked HRA  and he said that HRA was who made them implying it was correct and that the barrel needed to have the same serial number to be correct  which I showed him the book to show him the codes it needed to have.  I knew then they knew nothing about what they were doing and it would not go well.  They came back with 600.  I left with it.  I even showed him it had the correct sling and cleaning kit in the stock.  I am about to talk myself out of getting a kimber and hunt with what I hunt with now.  

3 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

the cartouche is faded out and the stock has storage dings in it, but the rifle itself has mostly original parts and is accurate.  

Most are hard to see after so many years, I wouldn't worry about dents and dings on a GI stock, they give it more character. 

I am unfamiliar with the term “extra Garand”. :blink:;)

Any time a guy talks about matching numbers in a Garand he is clueless.

I don’t know the condition of your piece ir the chamber and muzzle grades but cerainly the market price should start at 900 bucks and go quickly up.

Whats the receiver serial number dated at? Is it also ‘43?

Serial number is may 43 according to my book.  2 muzzle wear and 3 throat erosion.   Cmp sold it to me as a field grade a while back.  I call it extra since it is my worst condition one . It shoots great and metal is good and wood typical.  I never shoot it anymore 

1 hour ago, Trigger Mike said:

Serial number is may 43 according to my book.  2 muzzle wear and 3 throat erosion.   Cmp sold it to me as a field grade a while back.  I call it extra since it is my worst condition one . It shoots great and metal is good and wood typical.  I never shoot it anymore 

Yeah. Easily 900+ on the open market.

I am not a Garand expert, but IIRC the numbers on the pieces, may be drawing numbers, hence they should not match!  Anyway, the military was not interested in keeping matching numbers, just having a good, serviceable piece (rifle).  If an armor artificer needed to replace a part to make the rifle work, he just replaced it, without worrying about matching the numbers! I am suspicious of those "pieces" that have "all numbers matching," because they probably went no further than an ROTC drill team! 

36 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

I am not a Garand expert, but IIRC the numbers on the pieces, may be drawing numbers, hence they should not match!  Anyway, the military was not interested in keeping matching numbers, just having a good, serviceable piece (rifle).  If an armor artificer needed to replace a part to make the rifle work, he just replaced it, without worrying about matching the numbers! I am suspicious of those "pieces" that have "all numbers matching," because they probably went no further than an ROTC drill team! 

Correct. The only serial numbered part on a Garand is the receiver. The other parts have drawing numbers. 5he drawing numbers vary with each modification.

4 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Not a Garand but my M1903 barrel was made 11 years before the receiver.

Barrel cartouche decodes to 1928 mfg. Receiver S/N and design places it at 1939. 

Well, that would be highly unusual for an issue Springfield. Normally it’s the other way around, an older receiver with a newer barrel.

We have another local dealer who travels to gun shows to sell so I may put it on consignment.   I didn't feel like shipping but I may list it here and the cmp forum. If I do I will throw in a bayonet and probably a cartridge belt from ww2.   

19 hours ago, grenadier said:

Well, that would be highly unusual for an issue Springfield. Normally it’s the other way around, an older receiver with a newer barrel.

Based on the fact that the magazine floor plate was pinned shut with a brass pin and the bolt has 4 digits etched into it; looks like my rifle spent WWII on loan to the Greeks. The bolt numbers were the last 4 of the S/N of the rifle when it was first received by the Greeks. When the Greeks returned them after the war the bolts were removed to render them inoperative.

Once the government gave them to the CMP. The boxes of bolts were fitted to rifles. As long as the headspace was good there was no effort made to match bolts to the rifles they were originally installed in. Like a Garand with matching #s a M1903 whose bolt numbers match the receiver S/N is likely a counterfeit. Unless an exceptionally good providence is provided.

Research I did showed that between WWI and WWII the Army had thousands of 1903 barrels made. Once hostilities started they had these barrels installed on new mfg rifles. Unless rebarreled by the armory the mis-match of S/Ns is common on early mfg M1903s

Archived