SASS Wire Forum

Navy arms sale 1873 in 38/357

JD Lud

Kentucky gun co has on sale today the color case hardened version for 1499.....these have factory installed short stroke, upgraded wood and shotgun buttplate.

in the last have seen the French grey ones for this price but first time seeing a cch one.

just thought would share

I'm not a big fan of the "Modern" Winchester 73. From what I have seen, parts remain a major issue. If you need one, you are in many cases just out of luck. Pioneer Gun Works has discontinued making parts for them due to both a drop in demand and the fact that the guns mfg seems to be ever changing. I had one of the first ones, and it was a nice gun, but tuning it up was a nightmare because no replacement parts were available, so I had to go very slowly. IMO, the only way to go with a 1873 rifle, is Uberti. Parts are much more available.

Snakebite 

48 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

I'm not a big fan of the "Modern" Winchester 73. From what I have seen, parts remain a major issue. If you need one, you are in many cases just out of luck. Pioneer Gun Works has discontinued making parts for them due to both a drop in demand and the fact that the guns mfg seems to be ever changing. I had one of the first ones, and it was a nice gun, but tuning it up was a nightmare because no replacement parts were available, so I had to go very slowly. IMO, the only way to go with a 1873 rifle, is Uberti. Parts are much more available.

Snakebite 

This post would be more relevant if it were 2010, or whenever it was they first came out. 

This post is relevant right this minute.  Here is just a part of an email that I received Yesterday from Pioneer.

"Over the past two years, we at PGW have noticed a number of technical issues with the fitting of our Winchester Miroku "short stroke kits", due in part to the ever changing dimensional differences that have become present in the Winchester Miroku rifles. Also, we have noticed that over the past 3 years, consumer interest has taken a sharp decline noticeable by overall sales in Winchester rifles and parts."

The email goes on to say that all production has stopped as of yesterday, and that once current stock has been sold, that will be the end of it. They encourage anyone that has one of the rifles to get all the parts that they can. This is from the only after market producer that I am aware of. It is NOT something that I just pulled out of the air... as far as I am concerned, it is relevant right now if you have or plan on buying one of the Winchesters for use as a match rifle. Ain't nothing wrong with getting one... just don't expect to have a lot of parts available.

10 minutes ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

Hows about changing your font and color to one us old farts can read ??

21 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

The email goes on to say that all production has stopped as of yesterday, and that once current stock has been sold, that will be the end of it. They encourage anyone that has one of the rifles to get all the parts that they can. This is from the only after market producer that I am aware of. It is NOT something that I just pulled out of the air... as far as I am concerned, it is relevant right now if you have or plan on buying one of the Winchesters for use as a match rifle. Ain't nothing wrong with getting one... just don't expect to have a lot of parts available

I have a number of the Winchester made rifles. They are as good out of the box as you can get. Some of the better cowboy gunsmiths (
as noted above) can slick em up pretty nice.

If you like to do short stroke kits yourself, Longhunter sells them. I will be sending my newest one to Cody Conager.

Jared at Longhunter did an action job for me and didn’t change anything other than the firing pin. It runs better for me than either the Uberti 66 or 73 he also short stroked for me. Don’t know what all the fuss is about, I see them more and more at matches.

Archived