SASS Wire Forum

Legally Suppressing an Antique or Muzzleloader?

July Smith

https://www.brownells.com/firearms/blackpowder/muzzleloader/maxim50-integrally-suppressed-muzzleloader-prod110309.aspx

The Silencerco Maxim 50 is a suppressed muzzleloader that can be legally sold without the need for a $200 tax stamp or any forms etc.  They can ship straight to your door just like any other muzzleloader or cap and ball pistol simply because in the eyes of the ATF these are not real firearms and therefore the laws governing suppressed firearms are not applicable.

While I do like the idea of the Maxim 50 I am really not interested in buying one because I think the loading method is ridiculously awkward and many reviews I have read and watched have not indicated very good accuracy. 

All that being said, is it possible to legally suppress any antique firearm without a tax stamp/etc? 

I think it would be pretty cool to suppress one of those Sharpes style paper cartridge rifles.  Legally it would still be an antique and being a breech loader would eliminate the Maxim 50s awkward method of loading powder and ball through the baffles.

Or what about legally suppressing a cartridge rifle that was manufactured before 1898? 

While not cheap there seem to be lots of decent rolling block actions or Mauser actions that could be built up into one sweet and quiet rifle.

I shoot black powder for the boom.

To paraphrase John Denver’s Berkely Woman.....I’d no more silence a fine frontstuffer than drink only one kind of wine.

:)

The suppressor idea is neat and all, but it looks like it would probably be a booger to clean. 

Out hunting i dont think that the amount of smoke should be of concern.

So that brings us to the amount of sound. Ear plugs are cheap compared to the price difference. A good compound bow is extremely quite now days. 

As for NFA regulations suppressing antiques. I am clueless.

Since I no longer hold an FFL, I also no longer have my old books and regulations.  Those regulations would be about 8 years out of date. I do know a Suppressor is not a freebie.  I also know the BATFE has NO sense of humor.  I also know I do not under any circumstances trust ANY retailer with my freedom.  Until I had Hard Copy in hand from BATFE, I wouldn't touch one with your pole. 

The Maxim doesn't require a stamp because it is a newly manufactured muzzleloader with an intregral (built as part of the barrel, not a separate component) suppressor, same is true for airguns.  Silencerco also had to jump through quite a few hoops to get that rifle BATFE approval.

You cannot have a cartridge fired rifle with a suppressor without a tax stamp regardless of the age.

Any suppressor for an antique rifle would have to be constructed first and then attached.  Any suppressor by itself requires a tax stamp.

Archived