SASS Wire Forum

Winter Range Swap Meet - What the Heck?

Flying W Ramrod

Seems the Winter Range Swap meet has been moved from Wednesday at noon, to Thursday at 5:30pm!!!

Wonder the reasoning on this?
No one will attend the swap meet at that day and time.

Why?
First, it's the first day of main match shooting. Those who had problems will be working on fixing the problem. Those who didn't will be relaxing, studying the stages and getting ready for day 2.

Second,  the first two flights of shooters have gone for the day and, you can bet, none will want to come back from their campsite/trailer/hotel room, just for the swap meet.

Third, the last flight of shooters will just be getting done, and, you can bet, none will want to stay for the swap meet. And, if they had items for the swap meet, they have to run their guns to the car/truck, get their swap meet goodies, and make it back.

Fourth, if there were any TG's, or folks going to the TG meeting, that wanted to come to the swap meet, well, too bad. It's during the TG Meeting.

In looking at the posted schedule, for Wednesday afternoon, there is nothing going on in the main tent,  that would interfere with the swap meet.

The past few years swap meets were very well attended, enjoyed, and appreciated, on Wednesday afternoon. Why the change now?

I heard rumors a few years ago that the swap meet was in conflict with the vendors.   We'll see what response is made by those working WR.

BS

Well, let me try to explain. First of all, we know that we can't please everybody. We know that every change that we make makes some happy, and some unhappy. With that being said, what drives changes? First and foremost, the results of the post-match survey. I can't stress strongly enough that each and every Board member reads each and every survey. And we spend hours and hours discussing them and how we can use your suggestions to make Winter Range better every year.

Now, as to the swap meet. Our surveys told us that, on Wednesday that many of our shooters are very busy trying to squeeze every possible side match in. After all, they are here to shoot and have fun. There are also over 100 dedicated volunteers running those side matches that told us that they don't like missing out on the swap meet bargains. There is also the issue with time, every year we end up forcing people out of the tent so that we can set up for the opening ceremonies and shooter appreciation dinner. And yes, we heard from many of the vendors that they would like to have the swap meet time moved to the evening, some because they felt that the swap meet was in competition with them, but many wanted to attend the swap meet to both sell and buy (yes many of our vendors are also SASS members and WR shooters).

So after much discussion, it was decided that moving the swap meet to Thursday night would allow more shooters, volunteers and vendors to attend. It also removes the time constraints associated with Wednesday, buyers and sellers can stay and horse trade until we turn out the lights!

If it doesn't work out, we'll be the first to know. Again, your survey is your voice in Winter Range.

As always, we all look forward to seeing all of you cowboys and cowgirls enjoy yourselves at what we think is the best cowboy shooting match on the planet. We're already working non-stop and we can't wait for you to get here.

Respectfully,

Rattlesnake Slim

Winter Range Secretary

1 hour ago, Texas Lizard said:

Why not do it 5 AM and offer a steak and egg breakfast...I'm just up tp early this morning...

Texas Lizard

And of course coffee...

Shhhhhhh...........That's quiet time. Nobody's allowed outta bed till the sun comes up.

14 hours ago, Turquoise Bill, SASS #39118 said:

Just one point of clarification, swap meet start at 5:00 PM.

TB

Thursday February 21 st

7:00 AM to 2:00 PM Registration Open

7:30 AM Mandatory Safety Meeting – Main Tent – Posses 1 - 12

8:00 AM Cowboy Action Match Starts – Check Posse Schedule

TBD Working Costume Contest at Parson's Place

10:30 AM Mandatory Safety Meeting – Main Tent – Posses 13 - 24

1:30 PM Mandatory Safety Meeting – Main Tent – Posses 25 - 36

5:00 PM Range Closed/Rough Riders Saloon Open in Main Tent BYOB

5:15 PM Territorial Governors Meeting – TBD

5:30 to 8:00 PM Swap Meet – Main Tent. Please do not set-up early

Looks like we have two different start times in two different locations on our web site. I asked the "powers that be" to sort it out and make the information match in both locations on the Winter Range web site.

TB

The hardest part about reacting to comment cards is that even if you got 50 of them complaining about the same topic in WR’s case that means that 750 shooters were satisfied or didn’t care. It’s a tough task. In this case I doesen’t matter to me I’ll be at the TG meeting. 

10 hours ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

The hardest part about reacting to comment cards is that even if you got 50 of them complaining about the same topic in WR’s case that means that 750 shooters were satisfied or didn’t care. It’s a tough task. In this case I doesen’t matter to me I’ll be at the TG meeting. 

What a cop out....Going to be somewhere else...

Texas Lizard

25 minutes ago, Texas Lizard said:

That is what it was...I did not mean to offend or up set any one....I will have to watch my words in the future...If Deuce is offended I am sure he will let no..

Texas Lizard

I’m VERY fluent in sarcasm so took it that way initially and thought it was quite funny. :D Unfortunately it doesn’t always come through as well as we’d like online. ;)

"And we spend hours and hours discussing them and how we can use your suggestions to make Winter Range better every year."

You want to make it better? Stop forcing the BP shooters to compete in one age group. When that happens I'll start attending again. 

Snakebite

1 hour ago, Snakebite said:

"And we spend hours and hours discussing them and how we can use your suggestions to make Winter Range better every year."

You want to make it better? Stop forcing the BP shooters to compete in one age group. When that happens I'll start attending again. 

Snakebite

100% agree!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Snakebite said:

Snakebite

I thought with the last changes, all combinations of age and category had to be offered subject to the minimum number signing up.  Did I misread something?

BS

Sorry Pard, I'm afraid that is not the case.... it read that way for a short time, but was changed...…………. . It would be nice if it were so. I do miss attending WR, it is a wonderful experience and always a great match that I enjoyed for many years. I encourage everyone that has a category that works for them to attend. 

Snakebite

Before this topic goes completely sideways, the "powers that be" have spoken, the swap meet will start at 5:30. They are working on making the WR web site consistent with the 5:30 PM start time.

TB

23 hours ago, Turquoise Bill, SASS #39118 said:

Before this topic goes completely sideways, the "powers that be" have spoken, the swap meet will start at 5:30. They are working on making the WR web site consistent with the 5:30 PM start time.

TB

Thanks Bill

Just a suggestion.  Have those selling items at the swap meet post what they are selling.  This may give shooters a reason to come back for the swap meet.  Is it possible to send a notification to the Winter Range shooter's, if oked by the WR committee,  letting shooter's know they can post their items on the wire ?  What are your thoughts?

Archived