SASS Wire Forum

Cold Match

Attica Jack  #23953

Today I shot a cold match.... no a too cold match.  I usually don't a match if the temp. is below 35 degrees.   But today was the Turkey Dinner Match at the Detroit Sportsmans Congress, a great tradition and a very good dinner.  When I left my house it was 35 degrees, when I got to the shoot it was 28 degrees and snowing, also my wife was with me.  I have been shooting 19 years and because of scheduling problems, she has never watched me shoot.   Well the first stage I was like a circus clown juggling shotgun shells trying to get them into my 97, my hands were frozen.  After the first stage I got my act together and finished in good standings.  Everyone was having problems with the cold, we had P's, a dropped gun, guns not working and hands just not doing what you wanted them to do.   All, I think had a good time despite the cold.  My wife lasted 3 stages then went into the club house to help and warm up.  The dinner was great.  I think we had 16 or 18 shooters that braved the cold temps.   Thanks to all that helped put on this Turkey Dinner shoot, a great tradition.    Happy Thanksgivings to all       Attica Jack

It doesn't get that cold very often, or for very long, down here.  But, I have noticed the same issues with reference to guns/ammo.

I just bought a Mr. Heater Little Buddy heater that uses 1 lb propane bottles to take to our next shoot to place on the loading table.

Will have to see how that works out.

Yup cold really take sit toll.  First the cold fingers don't work as well and some of the problems blamed on the guns are actually due to our cold hands.

But the lubrication you use will show up a lot of difference below 40 degrees. And the light loads, such as the Winchester Low noise, low recoil show a lot more variation is "pop" in those temperatures.   I would have thought it took colder than that, but not always.

Add the wind, and . . 

I was not able to even finish a recent shoot due to the cold, wind and lack of fuel.

Couple of Hot Hands packets in your gloves or outer coat pocket makes a match at those temps almost enjoyable.

16 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Couple of Hot Hands packets in your gloves or outer coat pocket makes a match at those temps almost enjoyable.

I also put one in each of my upper vest pockets.  Keep them close to the skin, but be careful of burns.  Keep the core warm for better blood flow to the extremities.

Happy Thanksgiving Attica...I really miss not being able to shoot that shoot. DSC 2 best shoots...The Chili and Thanksgiving...

Take Care and Happy Holidays to you and yours.....Faygo

Archived