SASS Wire Forum

Kaboom went the snowblower

First run of the season for my 23 year old Toro 1028 snowblower.  Never got out of the garage; cracked head.

Time to retire her and find a new unit.

Anyone with Honda experience?  Thinking about one of their track driven models - 9 horse, 28 in. path.  Intrigued by the hydrostatic transmission and the electric joystick for the chute; but I really don't need doodads - just power to move deep, wet snow.

Suggestions?

LL

I guess I'm skeptical about a lot of gadgetry on small equipment.

Just something else to go wrong and need $$$$ repairs.

As for a Honda and it's engine, I hear nothing but good about them in their gennies and the one I have is great..

IMHO the more ponies you have, the better. It takes a fair amount of HP just to run the options crammed on to the units.

I would ensure whatever you get has an impellor in the chute.

My thoughts are you generally need more horsepower when running hydro-stats and the tracks might add to horsepower drain over convention wheeled models.   This is based on the company telling us about lawn tractors needed x hp just propel the tractor plus drag your butt around on it.  Hydro's require more power to operate  Heard lots of good things about tracks and hard to fault Honda's     GW

Rather than a tracked machine I would just go with a high hp wheeled thrower with chains. Less potential problems. You definitely need power for that Wet New England snow. I spent a year in Mass back in the day. Our snow here, while sometimes deep, is usually pretty dry and easily moved so Pacman, my 6hp Craftsman, is all I need.

Had to laugh at myself when I read this. I just came in from starting up my 33 year old Ariens. I have nothing I can compare because this is the only snowblower I have ever had. I fire it up 3 times a year just to keep it running other than when it is needed. It has been one heck of a work horse for me. If I was to get another if this one truly broke down, after the experience with this Ariens, of course it will be another. I know the Honda engines are great, but this one at 33 years old and only put in one new spark plug over that time kinda says something to me. Might think about giving them a look.

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Perhaps 20 years ago...

Yeah....not very likely around here; not many kids in the neighborhood, and my driveway is 250' long with a 4 car turnaround at the top - too much for a kid with a shovel.

LL

After several consecutive years of moderate and a few heavy snows, I finally bought a snow thrower. That was 3 or 4 years ago. Since then I've thrown no more than 3 inches at a time for a total of  maybe 15 inches. Started it up today to make sure it worked. Now I'm assured of no more than a dusting this season. Getting my money's worth! :lol:

25 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

After several consecutive years of moderate and a few heavy snows, I finally bought a snow thrower. That was 3 or 4 years ago. Since then I've thrown no more than 3 inches at a time for a total of  maybe 15 inches. Started it up today to make sure it worked. Now I'm assured of no more than a dusting this season. Getting my money's worth! :lol:

The year I bought my Toro, we had 15 snow storms and over 100" of snow.  Snow blowers are like life insurance policies; you don't have any way to know in advance when you might need one, but if you don't have one, you will suffer the consequences.  

Have narrowed it to another Toro or a Honda; scrapped the track version idea and will stick with wheels.  Headed for the local dealer on Monday to put my hands and eyes on the real thing.  Thanks for the input.

LL

2 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Yeah....not very likely around here; not many kids in the neighborhood, and my driveway is 250' long with a 4 car turnaround at the top - too much for a kid with a shovel.

LL

Hopefully you're looking for one you can ride on, or mount on your riding mower or garden tractor.  Maybe even with a canvas "cab....?"   :huh:

6 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Hopefully you're looking for one you can ride on, or mount on your riding mower or garden tractor.  Maybe even with a canvas "cab....?"   :huh:

I already have a cab, HP.....

Colorado Mountain Hats Boss of the Plains

LL

02 02 2011 006.jpg

3 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

LL

Yeah, that’s a bit much for a kid or several kids with shovels. ;)

I hired a snow plow service, they come out if the snow is 3" or more.  Any less than that I can handle it with my Craftsman snow blower.

$240.00 for the season!;)

1 minute ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I hired a snow plow service, they come out if the snow is 3" or more.  Any less than that I can handle it with my Craftsman snow blower.

$240.00 for the season!;)

Before I bought the blower, my plow guy charged me $40 to come in the early AM so I could get out for work, and another $25 to come back later in the day and clean it up.  I still had to shovel the front stairs when I got home.  That's $65 per storm, times 18 storms = $1170 for one year.  That's why I bought the snowblower.

LL

12 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:
First run of the season for my 23 year old Toro 1028 snowblower.  Never got out of the garage; cracked head.

Time to retire her and find a new unit.

Anyone with Honda experience?  Thinking about one of their track driven models - 9 horse, 28 in. path.  Intrigued by the hydrostatic transmission and the electric joystick for the chute; but I really don't need doodads - just power to move deep, wet snow.

Suggestions?

LL

Whuttza "snow blower"?

I live in the snow belt of the UP, what most people consider snowfall we dont even blink at, my driveway is 330’ long and when i snowblowed it i used an Ariens 11hp with 36” cut that i bought used great snowblower, probably one of the best machines out there, for heavy snow make sure its a two stage, electric start is nice, chains help, 

take care, stay safe, stay warm

DRD

11 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Before I bought the blower, my plow guy charged me $40 to come in the early AM so I could get out for work, and another $25 to come back later in the day and clean it up.  I still had to shovel the front stairs when I got home.  That's $65 per storm, times 18 storms = $1170 for one year.  That's why I bought the snowblower.

LL

You needed a NEW snowblower guy! :P All the plow guys around here charge by the year! $1170.00 is waaaay too much!

22 hours ago, Smoken D said:

Had to laugh at myself when I read this. I just came in from starting up my 33 year old Ariens. I have nothing I can compare because this is the only snowblower I have ever had. I fire it up 3 times a year just to keep it running other than when it is needed. It has been one heck of a work horse for me. If I was to get another if this one truly broke down, after the experience with this Ariens, of course it will be another. I know the Honda engines are great, but this one at 33 years old and only put in one new spark plug over that time kinda says something to me. Might think about giving them a look.

X2,  wore out the worm drive after 3 decades and bought another Ariens.  Used it for a decade so far with no problems.  .  2 stage with wheels, tracked models are more work to move out of the way in the summer.

I only need a single stage for what I have. Gotta get it out here shortly and make sure it's going to run. Only problem I've had is the plug( female ) end of the electric start cord. have to fiddle with it to get the starter to kick in. Electric start is must for me after having a Toro that I inherited from my Dad. When you really needed it, it just wouldn't start:blush:

On 11/17/2018 at 5:32 PM, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

The year I bought my Toro, we had 15 snow storms and over 100" of snow. 

Appears you got your money's worth the first year! Post a pic of what you get tomorrow.

I know I'm weird, but I don't mind snow. Would rather have that to look at instead of the usual bare, bleak winter landscape. But then, we have 4WD vehicles and don't have to commute every day. However, we do get a lot of ice here every season. Now that stuff p****s me off because 4WD is useless and it brings down power lines. 

2 hours ago, DocWard said:

Kinda like a shop-vac in reverse.

Now that;s just stoopid.  Who'd want something to put dirt and sawdust on the floor instead of sucking it up?

Jeez, I don't know what's wrong with some of you guys.

You might want to look at the Troy-Bilt snow blowers, Mine is 5 years old and it's a beast in heavy snow. I got it out from storage, primed it and it started on the 1st pull as it has since I bought it new. It has an engine that is pretty much bullet proof, at the end of the season I hose it down and add some Star tron to what ever gas is left and it's good to go. They also make a tracked model with heated hand grips.

https://www.troybilt.com/equipment/troybilt/storm-tracker-2890-two-stage-snow-blower-31ah7fp4766

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Now that;s just stoopid.  Who'd want something to put dirt and sawdust on the floor instead of sucking it up?

Jeez, I don't know what's wrong with some of you guys.

Shop vac in reverse does not blow the crap back out

My Single stage is a Troy-built. 21" swath. You still have to do a bunch of priming and cranking for the first start of the season. After that not too bad to get going. My drive is short, but is uphill for at least half the length. The bottom two sections of concrete seem to want to ice over easily,though. My SIL ruined her right elbow trying to shovel there back in '06 and I've taken a couple "Nantucket sleigh rides" myownself there. Have to always make sure it's salted down or you don't get in the drive. Also have to remember to go down the grass on foot if you think it's iced and didn't get any salt thrown down before hand:rolleyes::blush:

Archived