SASS Wire Forum

Alternative Divisions?

Juiceharp Jen

The CAS club I’ve visited has a few divisions that I cannot find in the rule book, like Greenhorn, Modern, and Outlaw.  Are these divisions common?  If so, what are the criteria?  Any other divisions I might encounter at other clubs that aren’t in the rule book?  Thanks.

Those are local categories created to fill specific needs at that particular club. You may or may not encounter them elsewhere, but having different rules and/or criteria. They are not in the SASS handbook because they are not officially recognized categories.

The Outlaw ( aim, shoot from the hip) unofficial category is pretty big in the Southeast. The aim and shoot from the shoulder  then miss category is well represented too.

Imis 

Hi Jen,

The short story on Modern follows.

Modern was a category for shooters with adjustable sights on their pistols, such as Blackhawks. It was thought they were an advantage. Shooters with fixed sights shot the Traditional category. It was later decided that they were not an advantage, those categories were eliminated and the Cowboy and Wrangler categories were created.

Regards,

Allie

Could the "modern" category be in reference to Wild Bunch? 

Some clubs have it arranged to allow shooters to compete either cowboy action or wild bunch on the same posse.

16 hours ago, Juiceharp Jen said:

The CAS club I’ve visited has a few divisions that I cannot find in the rule book, like Greenhorn, Modern, and Outlaw.  Are these divisions common?  If so, what are the criteria?  Any other divisions I might encounter at other clubs that aren’t in the rule book?  Thanks.

They're not "divisions" they're categories! Just sayin'.............;)

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

They're not "divisions" they're categories! Just sayin'.............;)

One of the newer electronic scoring apps lists them as divisions.

The club in question has these categories so more people can shoot, win their category, get a ribbon and feel good about their match. The Outlaw class, there,  is more or less an open class open to all comers, shooting anything sass cowboy legal regardless of age or dress.

Archived