SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 1873 Carbine Question

Captain Bill Burt

Hello Wire Experts,

I have a line on a slightly used Uberti Carbine for a good price.  I'm thinking of buying it and getting it slicked up for my 11 year old and 8 year old to use in SASS matches.  Other than making sure it will hold 10 rounds (the seller says it will).  Are there any other characteristics of the carbine that impact its suitability for SASS matches?

Find out how old it is. If it's an early model [real low serial#] it will be  harder to modify as some of the parts will be different in size from current production.

Good luck pard.

Joe

8 minutes ago, Joe West said:

Find out how old it is. If it's an early model [real low serial#] it will be  harder to modify as some of the parts will be different in size from current production.

Good luck pard.

Joe

I hadn't thought of that.  Thanks Joe, I'm going to email and ask that right now.

Yes. Same action as long as it's a straight grip stock rifle. Pistol grip has a different lever and lower tang. Different bolt setup on newer models, but will fit older model as well. Dimensionally the same, AFAIK.

I shoot a Uberti 1873 carbine in 44/40 and yes it will hold 10        GW

The wife and I got a Uberti carbine as our back up gun when both our rifles needed new bolt assemblies.  We also got the barrel band big sight mentioned above. 

What I really like is the lighter weight and gentle curve in the end of the butt stock.  It feels great with no modification.  The wife and I both have flat end butt stocks on our rifles.  Neither of us liked of the crescent moon shape.

Don't know how good a deal you are getting on the one you are looking at. But you might consider one of the 16 inch barrel models. They have a special mag spring arrangement that allows to 38's to be loaded. With the 3 inch less barrel it doesn't save that much weight but it does shift the balance further to the back of the rifle.

18 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Don't know how good a deal you are getting on the one you are looking at. But you might consider one of the 16 inch barrel models. They have a special mag spring arrangement that allows to 38's to be loaded. With the 3 inch less barrel it doesn't save that much weight but it does shift the balance further to the back of the rifle.

That's a good point.  This one has a 19 inch barrel.   Hmm.

2 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Hello Wire Experts,

I have a line on a slightly used Uberti Carbine for a good price.  I'm thinking of buying it and getting it slicked up for my 11 year old and 8 year old to use in SASS matches.  Other than making sure it will hold 10 rounds (the seller says it will).  Are there any other characteristics of the carbine that impact its suitability for SASS matches?

Another item to consider is to buying a replacement buttstock to shorten for the kiddos.  Nothing is worse that watchin' a youngun strugglin' to keep the rifle up on the shoulder because the stock is way oversized for them.  Keep the original for as they grow into it.  I did that for my youngster, then passed the shortened one along to another dad for his youngster.  Hope it's still making the rounds somewhere.

Capt. BB,

Just a thought.  A 16 inch barrel "Trapper" in 45 Colt, set up for Cowboy 45 Special cases will hold about 13 rounds and be nearly as cheap to shoot as a 38.  All it take is a modified carrier (The Smith Shop)

4 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Thanks Goody!  I have a Henry .22 to start them with, but I've found that those .22s are harder to run than our 73s.  The only advantage they have is they're lighter and their LOP is shorter.  I'm hoping a carbine with a cut down stock will be just right for my kids.

Have you ever shot a Henry that Widder has worked over with the soft stroke work?  I have one and it is easier to work than my 73.  You might consider that option as well.

Kajun

I'm thinking that might be something I'll do in addition to picking up a carbine.  Right now Iron Cowboy and his mother are sharing a rifle (when he shoots).  Johnathan wants to start shooting, and I suspect Emily will too, so I'm hoping three 73s and a Henry 22 among 5 people will do the trick.

I’ve owned 2 Uberti 1873 carbines that were early guns and very different dimensionally than current guns.One was a complete disaster and sold to me on the wire as a “really slick gun”....lost a lot of money on thst gun. My little guy shoot a Marlin carbine and loves it.  The 73’ 16” are nice, and thats the direction I would have gone for mine if he hadn’t likedthe Marlin. 

13 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

LOL.  Then I would need another 650 quick change kit, caliber conversion kit, dies, shell plate, whatever that plate is that goes in the shell feeder, plus the brass.  I think 38 special is the way to go for me.

Good news Captain.  The Dillon large pistol case feeder plate will work for 38 special and 45 Colt or special cases.  See, I saved you $40.

16 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I'm thinking that might be something I'll do in addition to picking up a carbine.  Right now Iron Cowboy and his mother are sharing a rifle (when he shoots).  Johnathan wants to start shooting, and I suspect Emily will too, so I'm hoping three 73s and a Henry 22 among 5 people will do the trick.

Hahahaha... with all them young uns shootin, you'll be able to give em YOUR guns to use. Cuz you'll have your hands full with all the reloadin!

1 hour ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Hahahaha... with all them young uns shootin, you'll be able to give em YOUR guns to use. Cuz you'll have your hands full with all the reloadin!

Tell me about it. If all of us shoot a monthly it will take 5 boxes of shells, 280 rounds of .22, 350 rounds of .38 and 70 rounds of .32 H&R. 

As Deuce mentioned I have a 1970's model Uberti/Navy Arms carbine that is different dimensions than more modern guns. 

We did get it short stroked using the bent lever mod and it works great.  But replacement parts would be a  problem. 

Joe West is familiar with the issues with both 66 and 73's.  I remember he rebuild a very early 66 for a pard and had to build the parts for it.

21 minutes ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

As Deuce mentioned I have a 1970's model Uberti/Navy Arms carbine that is different dimensions than more modern guns. 

We did get it short stroked using the bent lever mod and it works great.  But replacement parts would be a  problem. 

Joe West is familiar with the issues with both 66 and 73's.  I remember he rebuild a very early 66 for a pard and had to build the parts for it.

How did you calculate how much powder to load into that out of battery round to shoot to get the lever bent just the right amount?    :lol:

Kajun

We bought a carbine last spring from Cowboy Shooter Supply.  Had him put the short stroke kit in for me.  I then put the large front site on it.  It's a great gun.  My youngest is still running a Henry.  He turns 14 next summer and says he plans to run it until he has to change.  A little time in TN with Widder and Slater will make a race gun out of the .22.  Of the mods done to any of our guns, that was the cheapest, and best money spent.

Best of Luck

36 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Well I just went to the Cowboys and Indians Store and I can't find short stroke kits anywhere.  Anybody have a link to 5th gen C&I SS kits?

They were sold out a few weeks ago and had removed the link. Might call and ask if you can backorder. I thought I heard her mention March of next year but they could tell you for sure.

Try online outpost,,    Checked and it didn't say out of stock     Give Terry a try she will do anything she can to help you      GW

8 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Thanks Tyrel.  I'll keep checking their website and order one when they're back in stock.

As stated I had an early model 1873 as well. The serial number was on the bottom of the receiver between the carrier and the forearm of the rifle. The current parts won't fit those guns. 

Several people you may run into are shooting 16 inch carbines. Doc Kem and Kid Nama in SC for sure......They'll hold 10 38's if they are done right. 

Archived