SASS Wire Forum

New guy getting new guns needing new leather

Mister Ricochet

Howdy,

So we're just getting into this, My Misses and I, and I am probably gonna grab a couple pistols at sportsman's warehouse in the mornin'.

I'm lookin at an Uberti 1873 in 38/357 with 4.75 bbl, and maybe a Cimarron Pistolero same cal and same length.  We'll both be usin the same guns and hopefully can use the same leather.  If I'm a 36 waist, how big should the belt be.  And then I would have to wonder If anyone has one they don't want anymore.

So you should skip the local sportsman's Warehouse and attend a match first  and see what others are using and ask to try it out. This sport is God awful expensive if you are impulsive in purchasing gear ahead of time. Save your money, for now, and meet and greet those in the know. 

I'd honestly check in to see if a local club can loan some leather or at least holsters. You can use a stiff belt for your first time if you tighten it up nice and tight.

For your own leather, you need to measure where you wear your gunbelt, not your waist as those can be very different from person to person. For most people its a few inches below where you wear your pants.

They telling ya true!!! These things may be big boys toys but they can get to big$$$---Go to a local match first---lota folks there will be glad to let ya try the fit & feel of their gear---There usually is lots o holsters for sale here in classifieds---I got 3 sets o custom made ones for sale myself here-----but try things out first before ya start buying things-------so easy to get what ya think ya want -then a little later on realize " OH GEE I SHOULDA GOTTEN THE OTHER ONE INSTEAD"-----had to find that one out the hard way!!!

Howdy Mister Ricochet   Welcome to this great sport.  Yes the members of your club would be more then happy to share there guns and leather to new shooters.  That's just the cowboy way. I understand that the Redmond Club is a newer club. There might be some one that does leather work in your area. I shoot at the Oregon Old West club in Albany , Oregon. We have a member that does great leather work, if interested pm me and I will give you his contact information.  You are welcome to come to our match and see his leather work and shoot the match. I do have intentions on coming over to shoot at the Redmond cub in the future. Good Luck Buckey              

Welcome. Almost everybody make the mistake of buying what is locally available without knowing the category they want to shoot, its requirements and peculularities. Go to matches FIRST talk to everybody, try any and all offered guns and gear. I have been in SASS for 16 years and I dont know anyone that still shoots the guns and gear they started with.  Swapping guns with a family member can be in convenient, swapping leather will be downright a pita. 

Imis   and get yourselves good hats

1 hour ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Welcome. Almost everybody make the mistake of buying what is locally available without knowing the category they want to shoot, its requirements and peculularities. Go to matches FIRST talk to everybody, try any and all offered guns and gear. I have been in SASS for 16 years and I dont know anyone that still shoots the guns and gear they started with.  Swapping guns with a family member can be in convenient, swapping leather will be downright a pita. 

Imis   and get yourselves good hats

Listen to this guy, there's a whole lot of knowledge and experience under that BIG ol hat!

Depending on the build of you and your wife, sharing long guns may cause her to be miserable and stop participating real fast. 

Nothing makes me more angry than watching a wife or a young shooter struggle with long guns that don't fit or 'his' warthog loads that are too hot.

For instance...My wife's rifle and shotgun have both been modified to shorten the length of pull. Not only does it make it more comfortable for her to shoot, she is also built differently than I am, and the LOP helps her mount the rifle and shotgun faster and comfortably. I pulled up her shotgun recently and just could not get comfortable with it. But then again, it ain't mine to begin with.

My wife also does not want to shoot my pistols.  After trying out all kinds of stuff, she found that she preferred Bisley grip frames. Don't know why, she just does. All the 'wise' men tell her that women shouldn't shoot 'em because they are too big.  She loves 'em because they are comfortable to her.  And we didn't buy 'em until she tried all kinds of revolvers to make sure that she knew what she wanted.

We have 3 in the house that shoot. Myself, wife, and son. Even when my son started shooting, he and I shared pistols, but we all had our own long guns.

10 hours ago, Mister Ricochet said:

Howdy,

So we're just getting into this, My Misses and I, and I am probably gonna grab a couple pistols at sportsman's warehouse in the mornin'.

I'm lookin at an Uberti 1873 in 38/357 with 4.75 bbl, and maybe a Cimarron Pistolero same cal and same length.  We'll both be usin the same guns and hopefully can use the same leather.  If I'm a 36 waist, how big should the belt be.  And then I would have to wonder If anyone has one they don't want anymore.

Welcome!!!

Leather belt... men and women are built differently, (thankfully!).  You measure where you are going to wear the belt, usually around the hips.  That would be the length to the middle hole of the belt end.

Guns:  Are another matter, what "fits" you, may not fit her.  Are your hands sizes the same?  Are you equally as muscular? If you are only buying one set of guns right now... There are a number of gripframe styles.  If you're going to keep her happy, find out what she likes, and adapt yourself to what she chooses.   Going to a match and handling the various guns first is the best way of finding out what that is.

Rifle and Shotguns... The biggest turn off for women is using long guns with stocks that are too long for them.  Everything is "off" and nothing is comfortable.  If your wife is smaller framed, or shorter armed than you... Oy!  You will not have a happy wife and she may quickly leave the game.   If your wife is smaller framed and less muscular than you she might do better with a lighter weight rifle, such as a carbine, or a Marlin '94.

Much of this you won't know unless you drop in on a couple of matches and introduce yourselves.  Guys will fall over themselves letting you and your wife handle the various guns available, and telling you why they chose what they did.  Most importantly, your wife will get to find out what "fits" her.   

While 40 caliber & larger rimmed cartridge ammo is more expensive than the ubiquitous the 38 Special, the Classic Cowboy category requires 40 cal. or larger caliber.  Also, you can use the same 1873 rifle in Wild Bunch.   Loaded 45 Colt is easier to come by than the other black powder calibers, 38-40 & 44-40,  However, in less than 250 grain full pressure loads are dirty, especially in rifles.

Howdy to you and yours Mister Ricohet.  Attached are some photos of Gun  Belt, right and left strong plus Cross draw holster.

Buckle to last hole is 46, to middle hole 43.. Any questions just ask. The Gun Belt & Holsters are lined.

.38 special loops on belt.

Priced at $150.00.

If interested my e-mail is:

jgp3749@cox.net                                  Gun Belt & Holsters sold pending funds

Respectfully;

Jackrabbit Joe #414

Well, we went and did it.  We both love them.  Cimarron Pistoleros in 357 with the 4 and 3/4 bbl. We picked 'em out together.

And they have the 4 click hammer.   Super easy to work the hammers, and a breath on the trigger will set 'em off.

Looks like a missing rivet on that right holster.  will that create an issue?

We have been to the Old 97 Railroad Rangers and shot a match. I was brought up with the idea "If you break it you bought it", So using other peoples stuff is about as fun for me as hitting my shin on a trailer hitch.  Doesn't matter what it is, A pencil or a car. Don't mind sharing, just don't like using.

20181115_160444.jpg

Howdy,

Trying other pards shootin irons is half the fun.

Generous pards are wonderful.

Turn em down if you like.

The worst thing I ever had happen was a fella wanted to

buy one of mine.  He INSISTED on a price so I said $3000 and he went away.

Best

CR

Mister Ricochet that part which you say a rivet missing. No, I had used those once for small pistols and placed a small screw type device thru leather. There is no problem created by this. They other holster has screw type in it which also can be removed.

Joe

Sold pending funds.

Archived