SASS Wire Forum

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (spoiler alert!)

Backward Billy

Just watched it and enjoyed the didactic vignettes that the Coen brothers pasted together. 

Overall they painted a pretty bleak outlook of the wild west and managed to do it with some dark humor.  My favorite was probably the prospector episode with Tom Waits and I also really liked the the bank robber chapter and thought the first story was pretty funny and strange. Each story had its charm and memorable moments.

The movie has some great imagery and is definitely worth watching if you're into westerns.

go6poixik24n1sonruc9.jpg

I watched it about 10 minutes and decided it was too stupid to watch.  About the time he jumped up on the bar and started singing, I think.   Did it get better after the first 10 minutes?  If so, I may give it another try.

Watched it last night, it was pretty good. I thought the first story with the singing cowboy did a good job of satirizing the old 50's westerns by juxtaposing the main character's silly nature, with the brutality of the violence committed by and around him. Loved the prospector story as well, and the wagon train.

14 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I watched it about 10 minutes and decided it was too stupid to watch.  About the time he jumped up on the bar and started singing, I think.   Did it get better after the first 10 minutes?  If so, I may give it another try.

Definitely worth another look, the first one was silly, almost cartoonist, and weirdly violent. All the chapters are different and some better then others. 

13 minutes ago, Diablo Blanco said:

Watched it last night, it was pretty good. I thought the first story with the singing cowboy did a good job of satirizing the old 50's westerns by juxtaposing the main character's silly nature, with the brutality of the violence committed by and around him. Loved the prospector story as well, and the wagon train.

The wagon train episode was great! The  standoff scene with the Comanches was really well done.

I'm a Coen Brothers fan. Understand not everyone is.

I enjoyed it. :D

I loved the whole thing, with The Prospector as my favorite.

2 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Me too. Watched the first two vignettes and enjoyed 'em enough to continue. Gotta sneak them in 'cause my wife can't stand most things Cohen, including "Brother Where Art Thou?". How can that be?

Yeah. How do you not love it? She’s not a fan of Homer eh? 

I just finished watching the whole thing. I liked it. 

My favorite was when the men are on the gallows about to be hanged and the main character looks at the other guy and says “First time?” I darn near fell out of my chair laughing.

It's kind of a Western Twilight Zone.

I'm diggin'it.

:D

Oh My..... where was the 447260944_SpoilerAlertSign.JPG.1ebc771f49b2c0ae302714441c1b3c0b.JPG!!! :o

This is why I shouldn't read the threads all the way through when it concerns new movies. :P:)

488717436_Eyescovered.JPG.c58eba6ddd250ea86673c461432676cc.JPG

5 minutes ago, Backward Billy said:

Done! 

Backward Billy:

I'm glad that you knew I was joking! :D

I read the last page of the book for the ending. :blush:

That way I'm not disappointed if I don't finish reading the book. :blink:

Most of it was just too stupid with occasional flashes of brilliance.  Yeah, like the gallows scene.

If you haven't seen it yet, then My suggestion is watch the Previews, maybe even more than once...

They Look Really Good !!!!!

And then skip the Movie... Cuz it Sucks !!!!

Go watch some Three Stooges reruns instead....... They are much more entertaining.

On 11/17/2018 at 9:53 PM, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Yep around 10 minutes was all I could handle, but I stayed with it. It's a series of different stories and the first one is about as dumb as you can get. The other ones are OK. The prospector and the wagon train were the better ones IMHO. Each story lasted around 25-30 minutes.

On 11/17/2018 at 7:45 PM, Backward Billy said:

Just watched it and enjoyed the didactic vignettes that the Coen brothers pasted together. 

Overall they painted a pretty bleak outlook of the wild west and managed to do it with some dark humor.  My favorite was probably the prospector episode with Tom Waits and I also really liked the the bank robber chapter and thought the first story was pretty funny and strange. Each story had its charm and memorable moments.

The movie has some great imagery and is definitely worth watching if you're into westerns.

go6poixik24n1sonruc9.jpg

What is it with everyone toting around an unloaded Henry in these modern westerns? :huh:

I normally like a Coen brothers movie...loved “O Brother Where Art Thou?”.  This latest film had its moments, but overall it was weird. The best parts for me was the prospector and the wagon train. 

The wagon train episode was excellent. Very realistic. Great prairie schooners instead of the usual chuck wagon sized rigs you usually see. Needed more oxen though. That was about the only time I ever saw a man reload a Henry.

4 hours ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

If you haven't seen it yet, then My suggestion is watch the Previews, maybe even more than once...

They Look Really Good !!!!!

And then skip the Movie... Cuz it Sucks !!!!

Go watch some Three Stooges reruns instead....... They are much more entertaining.

So you didn't like it?

I watched it again.  My final opinion is it is brilliant.  All Gold Canyon and The Gal Who Got Rattled are my favorites.  But the whole production is worthwhile.

I hope the Coens make more westerns.

Kind of weird and a bit confusing in places. It took me a while to finally get the last stage coach.

But over all, I loved it!

I agree that the wagon train and the prospector are by far the best in terms of bleakness and potential realism. Not as bleak as Tommy Lee Jones's movie The Homesman, but certainly gave an interesting perspective for those two points of view. The first vignette gets funnier every time you watch it as long as you enjoy the main character and understand that he is almost reprising the same character's personality as the actor had in Oh Brother Where Art Thou. That said, your mileage might vary. ;) 

Overall, I thought it was well done and much better then some of the previous movies passed as westerns lately.

Since Backward Billy posted the spoiler alert, and after reading all the comments to date, thought the Official Trailer for the movie might interest others to check it out so they can post their opinions. ;)

• 1 month later...

Loved it...important life lessons in every story for those that pay attention...Each story is independent of the others, but each gives insight into the American Frontier, some find the humor ( and use satire to showcase it) of Old Westerns, and others the harsh, often desperate and deadly challenges faced by those living life on the Frontier...   Seen it multiple times,,, enough to learn all Buster's song's and memorize the lines from the Cantina and Saloon scenes,, which I predict will become classic videos of the Gunfighter stereotype....  I can also imagine multiple stage scenarios set around each of the stories....

Is it better than A Million Ways To Die In The West? I might watch it if it is.

4 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Is it better than A Million Ways To Die In The West? I might watch it if it is.

I quit watching “Million Ways” and never finished it, so I can’t say for certain.  I darn near quit watching “Buster Scruggs” before it got to the second vignette but im glad I didn’t.  Id appreciate it if you would take the risk and give me your opinion.

Mrs. Lose and I are just finishing up The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs and we both found it to be very entertaining. Paying attention is important to catch some of the nuances, shall we say. I’m glad you posted, Backward Billy and FCKGG for posting the trailer. It made for a very entertaining evening.

Some segments were pretty rough, especially the orator for the chicken trade but life in the Old West was like that in many ways from what I’ve read. The old prospector segment was by far my favorite as well J-Bar.

I finally got through it. I agree the wagon train episode was the best, while the orator one with Liam Leeson was the worst (as is pretty much anything with that twit in it) as it was way too dark and depressing. The first one with Buster Scruggs was just plain weird. Some of them ended with me sitting there thinking, huh??? :huh:

Archived