SASS Wire Forum

30.06 verses 308

Trigger Mike

Well since we're leaving the .30 Cal options in our discussion...I'd go .26 Nosler. Every bit of R&D lately seems to be in the 6.5 bullets. Grab a long action or magnum case that's not belted and load up. They're just about invincible in the wind and hardly drop at all...see they don't even cause thread drift. Just kidding, I'm a strong proponent no the '06 and think that there are a few weak designs out there that limit its factory offerings. Show me to the single shot loads!

I hunt deer with a 30-06 150 gr Accubond and my daughter uses a .308 with the same bullet.  All of the mule deer we have taken have been 1 shot kills out to about 250 yards.  The only real difference is one is a long action and the other is a short action.  I have taken elk with both and it was all bullet placement.  I chose the 30-06 because of the greater versatility in reloading.   Flip a coin, both are great rounds, recoil is similar.  I tend to choose calibers that I can buy ammo for anywhere.

9 hours ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

I hunt deer with a 30-06 150 gr Accubond and my daughter uses a .308 with the same bullet.  All of the mule deer we have taken have been 1 shot kills out to about 250 yards.  The only real difference is one is a long action and the other is a short action.  I have taken elk with both and it was all bullet placement.  I chose the 30-06 because of the greater versatility in reloading.   Flip a coin, both are great rounds, recoil is similar.  I tend to choose calibers that I can buy ammo for anywhere.

So why does she shoot a .308? Why not just use one caliber?

30 caliber bullet traveling 2600 + fps. Does it really make a difference? It's all about shot placement. Less than 300 yards 06 and 08 are just as effective. I've harvested elk, deer, and antelope with a 308. 

Most of our hunting in Wyoming is in open country. In another life when I lived east of the Mississippi river a 30-30 was about all that was needed. I figure if a bullet goes through an elk it's powerful enough, anything more is excessive.

I tend to try and keep things Simple,,, I Shoot the  6mm. Rem. using a 95 Gr. Hornady SST at 3,223 Fps. ,,, 25-06  using a 115 gr Nostler Accubond at 3,236 ,,, .270 Win.

using 130 gr. Hornady SST bullets at 3,232   or .300 WSM using 165 gr.  Hornady Interbond  at 3,216 Fps ... All guns and loads allow for a center hold from muzzle to 360 yards...

Trajectories are with-in 2 tenths of an inch of each other all the way ... to 600 plus yards ...

They do differ in impact energy ....

All will kill Deer weighing in excess of 250 pounds out to at least 250 yards ...

I have also used my 6.5 x 55 , 45-70, 9.3 x 57, .40-65, .45 Colt, .30-06, 243 Win. , 303 British and .375 Ruger  to kill deer ...

Plus Archery Tackle ....

Jabez Cowboy

Archived