SASS Wire Forum

Uberti Stallion revolvers

Snakebite

I would like to hear from anyone that has first hand knowledge of the Uberti Stallion revolvers in 38 Special. I bought a pair several years ago but didn't really use them because they were just too small, so I moved them along. Now, after over 25 yrs, my wife started playing this game. I got her a pair of SS Ruger Single Six 32 H&R revolvers, they are great and she likes them... but it would be nice to only load one cartridge. So I just thought that I would ask folks that actually use the Stallions what they think of them.

Snakebite 

I have a stainless in 22lr-22mag. I really like it, but I have no experience with the 38's. I do know that for a while there was an issue with firing pins, but think that is a thing of the past. There is also some who have had their Ruger 32's converted to 38's ($$$).

Wife has been shooting a pair in .38 special for about 4 years and loves them. They have never given her any trouble. All I have done to them is I polished up the internals and put reduced power mainsprings and a lighter wire trigger spring in them. They use the same mainspring and trigger spring as the full size Uberti SSAs. 

My only complaint is that the ejector rods on hers are too short to fully eject the case. They only push it about 2/3rds of the way out of the cylinder. Near as I can tell there is no rhyme or reason as to the length of the ejectors as compaired to the length of the barrels.

Because she shoots a 92 in B-Western the OAL that the 92 likes ( 125 gr LTC with an OAL of 1.507) is just a hair too long to use in the Stallions. A friend had a .38 special cylinder reamer so we opened up the cylinders just a hair to accomidate 38 specials with a longer than spec OAL so that I don't have to keep track of two different OALs.. 

I am on the hunt for one in stainless steel vice blued.  When I was trying to buy her a pair I bought one from a dealer in AZ over the phone.  When it arrived is was SS vs blued. I have found a few SS ones with birds head grips but never in plow handle.

596a19d3b7415_CimarronLightningJuly2017.jpg.6974515bedefee8d20ec18c91f5fb7b9.jpg

Take a close look at these two Cimarron Lightnings. Both 5.5" barrels.  One has short ejector rod and other has one long enough to eject 32WCF cases.   Cimarron says it never happened.   Both should have long ejector housing.   I've had them apart.  They have not been modified.  That's the way they came from Uberti. 

1 hour ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

I have a stainless in 22lr-22mag. I really like it, but I have no experience with the 38's. I do know that for a while there was an issue with firing pins, but think that is a thing of the past. There is also some who have had their Ruger 32's converted to 38's ($$$).

I would be very interested in knowing more about this. Who has one, Who did the work?

Snakebite

Here's one for $1850 to convert one gun.

http://www.clementscustomguns.com/singlesix.html

I would check with Snake Oil George in OK as well. I know he makes barrels for Rugers, but am unsure about the cylinders.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

...My only complaint is that the ejector rods on hers are too short to fully eject the case. They only push it about 2/3rds of the way out of the cylinder. Near as I can tell there is no rhyme or reason as to the length of the ejectors as compaired to the length of the barrels....

The ejector was designed for the 3 1/2" model, but they use the same ejector on the longer barrels as well for some reason.  Except the .22 versions, which do have a longer ejector on the longer barrels.

2 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Here's one for $1850 to convert one gun.

http://www.clementscustomguns.com/singlesix.html

I would check with Snake Oil George in OK as well. I know he makes barrels for Rugers, but am unsure about the cylinders.

Boy Howdy... I'll bet that they are breaking the doors down to have that mod done.... Guess I'll just wait awhile. 

I use them and so does our 2018 State Buckaroo champ. I have benefitted from having three, because twice now one of them was in the shop. I owned them before starting SASS. I have other choices in my collection but am enjoying using these and the look of them. Note that they will also take 38 Long Colt, which is something I have been considering for a trial.

One that came from Taylor's is a superb gun with a bird head rather than Lightning grip. Both of the Cimarrons have had their turn in the shop, one for sticky extraction and the other for a broken part that locks the cylinder. The Taylor's gun is very accurate, while the Cimarrons not so much but good enough for the way we shoot. Any misses are more my fault.

Have been shooting them for quite some time. Bought first pair for the wife, action jobs by Bob James. She did not care for them so she took my 3 screw Ruger Black Hawks. I took over the Uberti Stallions, had Super black Hawk hammers installed by Johnny Meadows. Fantastic guns the Stallions and went ahead and bought another pair and will again have wide hammers put on these.  All four smooth as silk and shoot very well. No problems with ejectors. Mostly shoot .38 special 1.50  and also .38 short colt. both work great. A[[ are Uberti Stallions.4 /58" barrels.

Jackrabbit Joe

See attached photo

DSCN5345.JPG

5 hours ago, Snakebite said:

I would be very interested in knowing more about this. Who has one, Who did the work?

Snakebite

Contact Boomstick Jay. He has the ability to do this level of work.

www.boomstickarms.com

2 hours ago, Jackrabbit Joe #414 said:

Have been shooting them for quite some time. Bought first pair for the wife, action jobs by Bob James. She did not care for them so she took my 3 screw Ruger Black Hawks. I took over the Uberti Stallions, had Super black Hawk hammers installed by Johnny Meadows. Fantastic guns the Stallions and went ahead and bought another pair and will again have wide hammers put on these.  All four smooth as silk and shoot very well. No problems with ejectors. Mostly shoot .38 special 1.50  and also .38 short colt. both work great. A[[ are Uberti Stallions.4 /58" barrels.

Jackrabbit Joe

See attached photo

DSCN5345.JPG

From the Shooter's Handbook:

Hammers - Hammers may be replaced or exchanged with hammers designed for the same frame size (e.g., small frame revolver hammers may not be installed on large frame revolvers or vice versa) ???????????

31 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

From the Shooter's Handbook:

Hammers - Hammers may be replaced or exchanged with hammers designed for the same frame size (e.g., small frame revolver hammers may not be installed on large frame revolvers or vice versa) ???????????

All of us putting Super Blackhawk hammers on the smaller framed New Vaqueros are doing the same thing. :mellow:

I've had 9 Model P Jr's, which I think are the same revolvers, and never had a problem with any of them. Six with 3 1/2" barrels and three with 5 1/2" barrels. I still have the 5 1/2"ers in case my daughter ever gets back into the game - she shot them for several years before she graduated high school and set out on her own. No time for it now, I guess. :mellow:

(edit) I went to the book, and the SBH hammer swap is specifically allowed.

There is no way a Ruger hammer will work in a Uberti Stallion.  The designs are not even close.

Just guessing but what most likely occurred is the hammer spur was cut off the Uberti hammer. Then the hammer spur was cut off the SBH hammer and welded onto the  Uberti hammer.

8 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

All of us putting Super Blackhawk hammers on the smaller framed New Vaqueros are doing the same thing. :mellow:

That is not correct. The New Vaqueros are considered the same size (Large) Frame as the Super Blackhawk. I will however say that it is possible that things have been changed by the stroke of a pen  key.  It wouldn't surprise me to see all the rules re-written to fit many things that have been allowed to become the "Norm". 

Snakebite,

My wife started wife Stallions. They were good guns, nothing wrong with them at all. They are on the light side . Once she adjusted to Rugers her misses decreased. She has small hands and initially shooting the Vaqueros was not comfortable for her. 

She says,  the Stallions were a great place to start and become comfortable shooting, but after adjusting to the heavier Vaquero she likes them better.

Tully

41 minutes ago, Tully Mars said:

Snakebite,

My wife started wife Stallions. They were good guns, nothing wrong with them at all. They are on the light side . Once she adjusted to Rugers her misses decreased. She has small hands and initially shooting the Vaqueros was not comfortable for her. 

She says,  the Stallions were a great place to start and become comfortable shooting, but after adjusting to the heavier Vaquero she likes them better.

Tully

Tnx. I have suggested just that to her. She is now shooting a pair of SS Ruger 32 H&R.

19 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

If they are 38 Special,  they will also fire 38 Short Colt.   That case is short enough the short ejector should work. 

I knew that was coming, but at least these have 38 Colt stamped on the barrels, and their Model P Jr size is appropriate to the cartridge.

9 hours ago, Snakebite said:

That is not correct. The New Vaqueros are considered the same size (Large) Frame as the Super Blackhawk. I will however say that it is possible that things have been changed by the stroke of a pen  key.  It wouldn't surprise me to see all the rules re-written to fit many things that have been allowed to become the "Norm". 

I believe the New Vaquero and Super Blackhawk are the same size frame only in 44 Magnum.

Archived