SASS Wire Forum

Powder check die for Dillon 650

Purly SASS # 57438

I'm loading on a Dillon 650. 38 special loads. I'm loading 3.1 g of Trailboss, not interested in changing powder. Ok, I sometimes have started to get some light loads. I check my loads about every 100 rounds. I am looking for a powder checker that will detect a light powder charge. I'm thinking Dillon but like the RCBS too. Any suggestilns ?

i use the RCBS. loading 3.2 Bullseye, its tough to get the die set just right for that small amount of powder. I'm guessing your Trailboss fills the case quite a bit more, so ought to work there. I've never tried the Dillon die. I do like the lock-out feature of the RCBS instead of just an audible alarm. 

I used to use a Hornady Powder Cop but that relies on visual and can be missed. I switched to a RCBS lockout and am confident and totally satified with it. Over or under powder charge and the press wont operate. I use it on a Hornady LocknLoad. Money well spent.

Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning toward the Dillon. I like the alarm for low powder rounds. I load a lot of bullets. 4 to 5 shoots a month plus what I shoot thru the week.

RCBS lock out die detects a no-charge or a double charge VERY well.   It will start to lock up about 25% below your desired charge, and 25% above that weight.  It uses a mechanical detection system that locks the press from completing a stroke.  No battery to run low or leak acid, or buzzer to have to listen for.   It's all I use on my Dillon loaders!

Good luck, GJ

Love my Dillon.  The powder check alarm works great even though you still get small +/- occasionally.  I'm using TiteGroup on .38's also.

https://www.amazon.com/VicTsing-Efficient-Aquarium-Silicone-Tube-Black/dp/B00L17IPEO/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1542090310&sr=8-8&keywords=aquarium+aerator

Tape/glue/rope/ this to the powder dispenser cylinder. The vibrations will keep powder settled and no "bridging" of powder will occur.

If you do not have this, you need it.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/dillon-powder-check_8_120_23805.html

I use the Dillon powder check die and buzzer. Works great so long as you are using the same brass (by manufacturer). If you are using misc brass and small charges like 3gr of titegroup in misc 38sp brass, you get the occasional beep, pull the case, dump it in the scale and its exactly right on 3 gr. Due to different manufacture brass having different inside dimensions.

+1 for the RCBS Lockout die.

Depending on powder volume it may detect a minor variation, but will stop a double charge or no charge.

I would think finding the cause of the light loads would be a worthwhile thing to do as well.  I know a lot of guys who use the baffle in the powder measure, and a vibrating pump type thing on the powder measure to ensure uniform feeding of the powder.

I have two RCBS Lock Out die's they can be set up to pick up  .5 grains of powder missing. You need to change the powder to a finer one that is not like a snow flake.

On 11/12/2018 at 9:52 AM, Purly SASS # 57438 said:

I'm loading on a Dillon 650. 38 special loads. I'm loading 3.1 g of Trailboss, not interested in changing powder. Ok, I sometimes have started to get some light loads. I check my loads about every 100 rounds. I am looking for a powder checker that will detect a light powder charge. I'm thinking Dillon but like the RCBS too. Any suggestilns ?

Dillon's power check accuracy has two modes.  Way too little power and way too much powder.  IMHO it's impossible to rely on it for .1 of a grain + _

On November 12, 2018 at 9:52 AM, Purly SASS # 57438 said:

Dump the powder & check for a foreign object, you would think there's no way anything can get in powder but sometimes a insect/bug can get in there but it happens

like MD says  the powder check die is designed to check too much powder & no powder

IMHO, the RCBS Powder Lockout Die is a no brainier.  Wouldn't think about reloading on ANY progressive press without it.  Too much, too little it locks up the press.

I use the Dillion Powder Check System.  When I purchased my XL650 I bought it equipped with all the "recommend" accessories.  The only upgrade after the initial purchase was the case feeder.  I have tool heads with dies including powder dies in stations 2 & 3 for every caliber I load on it to save setup time.  I use powder bars with the micrometer conversion to easily change charges.  I am considering buying enough powder check rods, check rod sleeves & jam nuts for each caliber & powder charge to save more time.  The cost is nominal $28.50 each.

I started with the Dillon and switched to the RCBS. The Dillon when operated fast can bump the buzzer and chirp. Sounds the same way if it's low/high if you're running fast. The RCBS is foolproof. It locks up the press regardless of how fast you are running the press. And it's cheaper than the Dillon. I love my 650, but it's RCBS Lockout Die for me. 

On 11/18/2018 at 5:21 PM, Purly SASS # 57438 said:

I went with the R C B S lockout die.  I load 3.1 gn Trailboss .It will lock out at 2.3. That will stop a squib load.

I was so anxious to share that I didn't read that you had made the decision to go with the RCBS. Good call. 

Archived