SASS Wire Forum

Front Sight Help

Chief Rick

Uberti 1873, half-round half-octagon barrel measures 19" (Catalog #1575).

I'd like to put a Marbles ivory bead front sight on it.

Which Marbles product is the correct one for this rifle?

Marbles.png

Sight height is measured from the bottom of the dovetail to the top of the sight.  Call Marbles & verify this .........

8 minutes ago, Yusta B. said:

Sight height is measured from the bottom of the dovetail to the top of the sight.  Call Marbles & verify this .........

It is.

I bought my rifle used many years ago and it doesn't have the original front sight.

The current front sight, a large gold bead, seems to sit higher than the front sights on a few other similar rifles I handled this weekend.

One of those rifles had an ivory bead and I liked it much better than the large brass one.

Uberti usually puts a 0.410 high front sight on their 20" rifles, and a rear sight that matches.  Sounds like you have a 19" rifle, rather than a carbine with sight on a barrel band.  I'd bet the #204132 would be fine (0.410 hi, with the larger 3/32 ivory bead)..

Knock out old sight toward the right, install new sight into dovetail from right to left until centered.    Most new front sights will be tight in dovetail.  If needed, lightly file the bottom of the sight's dovetail base until you can start the sight just with strong thumb pressure, then tap in with a brass punch driving sight to the center.

Good luck, GJ

58 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

One of those rifles had an ivory bead and I liked it much better than the large brass one.

I much prefer the white beads also.

7 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Uberti usually puts a 0.410 high front sight on their 20" rifles, and a rear sight that matches.  Sounds like you have a 19" rifle, rather than a carbine with sight on a barrel band.  I'd bet the #204132 would be fine (0.410 hi, with the larger 3/32 ivory bead)..

Knock out old sight toward the right, install new sight into dovetail from right to left until centered.    Most new front sights will be tight in dovetail.  If needed, lightly file the bottom of the sight's dovetail base until you can start the sight just with strong thumb pressure, then tap in with a brass punch driving sight to the center.

Good luck, GJ

Thanks GJ.

Correct, it is a rifle and the barrel is 19".  Not a carbine.  I can't find a 19"  half-round/half-octagon rifle with a 19" barrel on the Uberti website.  The rifle has CAT 1575 on the bottom of the receiver - can't find anything on that, either.

I will order that one and give it a try.

I like the large white dot of the Cowboy Express, it looks larger than the 3/32 white bead. May have to raise the rear sight a tad.

3 hours ago, Caboose said:

I like the large white dot of the Cowboy Express, it looks than the 3/32 white bead. May have to raise the rear sight a tad.

I've also ordered a full buckhorn replacement rear sight.

I used to keep a bottle of gold fingernail polish on my cart to touch up my gold polished vaquero front sights before I finally bought some from Slick. I would get a few stares from other shooters every now and then

4 hours ago, Irish-Pat said:

You could always try one of Slick’s and put a drop of Annie’s white fingernail polish on it first

I did this for years to my 73 Slick sight but used krylon paint rather than fingernail polish.

I have since started using C&I new bead front sight (interchangeable small or large size bead).  Really a nice front sight in combo with a original 73 rear sight that has been opened up slightly at bottom to match front bead.

Archived